Tesla is raising the price of its 'full self-driving' package by $1,000

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It doesn't matter at all to me because I won't be buying FSD. That's even with the assumption that it will ever happen. And that is a HUGE assumption.

The price could go up or down. Only the people working in the part of Tesla that passes for "Strategy" know, and actually they probably don't know either. I think a class action suit against Tesla for failing to deliver is just as probable as FSD coming to fruition. I wouldn't gamble my money on either of those options, period.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Your gamble if you think FSD will be cheaper later. You've been warned by the guy leading the company. I would take him at his word. They're already increasing next week. That's hard evidence. But to each their own.
They have already increased and decreased the price many times with no change in what you get and despite what was written on the website when people purchased their cars and what Elon said. They also generally miss their timeslines by a lot when it comes to autopilot. This is one of the most difficult engineering projects attempted. There is no guarantee they will be successful and it's not even completely within their control. Prebuying something like this is a big gamble.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also think people are stuck on the FSD verbiage. The bigger question is if you'd be willing to pay $3K for the features identified in the email, understanding that more autonomous features will be released in the feature, and the chance of owning a car that can drive itself (choose your percentage of likelihood). Everyone looks at value in different ways, but for me the answer is an easy yes. Especially given the other things Tesla owners are willing to pay for.
  • Choose your paint - $1K
  • 19' Wheels - $1K
  • 70 more miles of range - $9K
Again, not everyone is in the same financial situation. Maybe those that are balking at the $3K chose the base model. There's definitely nothing wrong with that. However for me personally, I would rather have FSD over choosing my own paint color and having larger wheels. I know that's $2K vs $3K, but work with me! I'm more of a functionality person so picking FSD features over aesthetics is an easy decision for me.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...... 4. Tesla likes safety, particularly in the sense of preventing accidents from happening in the first place. If the FSD computer makes the cars safer, they'll want everyone to have it. If the FSD features make the cars safer, then they'll want everyone to have those too. It's also bad PR for Tesla if some cars are still having issues with AP which could be solved with the new hardware--they'd rather Teslas have a reputation of being good at driving themselves.

This made me think, some day whether it is tomorrow or 5 years from now, if Tesla truly perfects self drive or gets close they may include it in every car. You may not be able to buy one without it. Why? Two reasons, Elon wants the road safer and second as @DocScott notes, Tesla doesn’t want to be in the news every night explaining why one of their cars was involved in an accident they say their cars should avoid. So they will only sell a car with all of the full features. Take the whole package or nothing.

Last edited:

r-e-l

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't believe FSD car is coming anytime soon. not from a tech perspective (see how the car drives to day and think … will they close the gap in the remaining four months left of the year?) nor from legislative and insurance companies (Yes I know Tesla is willing to take the risk on their own and insure those cars but that is for now just another promise that is still waiting to happen).

So it will need to be something else, other features that relates to self driving (like summon) -

some will say, the hardware is better resulting in better something .... lets assume better driving models. At some point, it will be crazy for Tesla to develop models and features to diffrent hardwares. its hard.
I think they will offer hardware update. the computer, i think i read somewhere cost ~$300. I will buy it... I just feel buy now because maybe in the future it will do something is just messing with people.

each to their own on how much patiance they have for broken promises. I think that once they truly get to FSD, I by then will buy a new car (Tesla is they are around) with the latest and greatest.

vinnie97

Country
Country
EAP + FSD at the time of purchase last year was $7000.
$8000 for me (March 2018), and I have nothing to show for it. Just pass me some paltry supercharger credits, Elon. To all of those displeased with the current price and even the price after the next markup, they're still better off than the 2018 Q1 and probably Q2 adopters.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't believe FSD car is coming anytime soon. not from a tech perspective (see how the car drives to day and think … will they close the gap in the remaining four months left of the year?) nor from legislative and insurance companies (Yes I know Tesla is willing to take the risk on their own and insure those cars but that is for now just another promise that is still waiting to happen).

So it will need to be something else, other features that relates to self driving (like summon) -

some will say, the hardware is better resulting in better something .... lets assume better driving models. At some point, it will be crazy for Tesla to develop models and features to diffrent hardwares. its hard.
I think they will offer hardware update. the computer, i think i read somewhere cost ~$300. I will buy it... I just feel buy now because maybe in the future it will do something is just messing with people.

each to their own on how much patiance they have for broken promises. I think that once they truly get to FSD, I by then will buy a new car (Tesla is they are around) with the latest and greatest.