Tesla is raising the price of its 'full self-driving' package by $1,000

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Jarettp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given the sale that went on earlier this year, I'll pay no more than $2k to update from EAP to FSD and I'm fine never having FSD on this car if it comes to it. Elon is out of his mind if he thinks I'm paying more than I paid for EAP to extend that functionality to stop lights and stop signs and is going to get a big dose of reality when the other car makers start coming out with their own solutions for far less in a few years.

TheeCatzMeow

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given the sale that went on earlier this year, I'll pay no more than $2k to update from EAP to FSD and I'm fine never having FSD on this car if it comes to it. Elon is out of his mind if he thinks I'm paying more than I paid for EAP to extend that functionality to stop lights and stop signs and is going to get a big dose of reality when the other car makers start coming out with their own solutions for far less in a few years.
A few years is a long time.
PS: They are more than a few years behind.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They’re a few years in matching basic functionality (battery/motor). At the rate they’re going in those regards, they may have AP functionality in 5 years, FSD likely a decade after Tesla comes out with it.

Jarettp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They’re a few years in matching basic functionality (battery/motor). At the rate they’re going in those regards, they may have AP functionality in 5 years, FSD likely a decade after Tesla comes out with it.
Elon thinks he will be able to sell the Model 3 for $100k+ long term with FSD. All I'm saying is that he's insane. I'm not paying a dime more than $2k to go from EAP to FSD and will not be buying a $100k version of this car when the time comes for my next upgrade. If his main goal is to become the next Waymo and keep every car they produce then he's wasting time on building fast luxury vehicles. He needs to leave the current consumer Teslas alone and branch off a commercial division or he's going to be making a serious error.

TheeCatzMeow

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Elon thinks he will be able to sell the Model 3 for $100k+ long term with FSD. All I'm saying is that he's insane. I'm not paying a dime more than $2k to go from EAP to FSD and will not be buying a $100k version of this car when the time comes for my next upgrade. If his main goal is to become the next Waymo and keep every car they produce then he's wasting time on building fast luxury vehicles. He needs to leave the current consumer Teslas alone and branch off a commercial division or he's going to be making a serious error.
I have no reason to defend Elon, I'm just saying they've had a plan and without the plan there is little to no chance you'd have a Model 3 right now.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’d take anything he says with a huge slab of salt. But the point is if you want FSD within the next decade it’ll be through Tesla only. As for pricing, I can see them dropping the cost of upgrades towards end of year if sales aren’t where they’re ant them to be. Pricing will be dictated by the market, but $2k to go from EAP to FSD seems unreasonable. Being able to autonomously navigate local traffic where a lot of time is wasted for only $2k seems like a steal.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I really hate the idea of pricing the FSD package based on future Full Self Driving. Right now FSD has zero value beyond speculation that it might have value someday. The EAP features in the FSD package have lots of value however and they should be sold based on the current features and maybe a little more for future updates. But they could just price it based on current features and then charge for new features as they come out based on the value of those features. FSD is especially hard to value. I've asked people I know what would they pay for a FSD feature on their car. The responses are all over the place. First of all, we don't know how well it works when it comes out assuming it does. Then it's hard to imagine all the ways it would change our life since we've never experienced it. I call my Tesla Tivo because explaining EVs reminds me of when Tivo came out. The early adopters who had Tivo absolutely loved it. But when they told people how great it was, people couldn't get past the fact they could already record whatever they wanted on their VCR. They weren't going to pay more and that monthly fee was out of the question. FSD is going to be similar. People will say I'm not going to pay more, I like driving. I've already heard it. Then they complain about having to take off work to shuttle their kids around. Competition will also drive the price down but who knows where the competition will be. It will take time before people properly value it. Bundling FSD with EAP makes it worse for people that just want EAP and don't want to pre-order features they have no idea how well they will work with no release date.

350VDC

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll pay no more than $2k to update from EAP to FSD
Agreed, especially when Tesla offers 10K less than Carmax for a trade-In for a Model 3, on a new Model 3. My early VIN has EAP which includes Summon and NOA. Now these features are part of FSD. I fully expect them to try and remove these from early VIN's at some point to try and choke more money.

VoltageDrop

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I decided not to go with FSD at the time of purchase........the main reason being that the legislation that will be needed to let this fly will likely take -Y-E-A-R-S- to pass.....(especially with our VERY slow moving government system).......to pay about 6 grand now (7 grand in a month) to have the "possibility" of the car driving me around "sometime in the future" is not something I would do....would rather invest the money elsewhere.......I too am in the camp of no more than $2K over the $5K I already paid for EAP....... (besides I have FREE FSD at my beck and call right now!!!! ......that is.....my newly licensed son....who will do anything to drive around.....hmmm......I remember those days too :)

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Agreed, especially when Tesla offers 10K less than Carmax for a trade-In for a Model 3, on a new Model 3. My early VIN has EAP which includes Summon and NOA. Now these features are part of FSD. I fully expect them to try and remove these from early VIN's at some point to try and choke more money.
I think it will go the other way.

My sense of Elon is that he really is driven by the idea that he wants everyone to have all the cool stuff he makes, one way or another. Not to make money, but because he believes in what he's doing. But then he also needs to make enough money to keep everything afloat.

So what he tends to do is squeeze everyone for as much money as he can get from them, and then once he's down to the people who won't pay that much, he gives away the goodies for free to the holdouts.

All the reconfigurations of pricing for the cars and their options makes it confusing to track, but notice that everyone with a new Tesla gets basic AP now, and everyone gets the FSD chip (even if they don't get all the FSD features). And yet the prices of the cars did not go up accordingly--in fact, for some versions, prices went down (sometimes up and sometimes down, but the net is down). He wants people to have AP. He wants people to have FSD. He'll take money if he can get it from you. But in the long run he wants those features to be universal.

So my guess is that he'll keep coming up with ways to try to scare people in to paying money now for features that don't exist and then, once the features do exist for a little while, he'll cut the prices and eventually maybe even make them standard. The "appreciating asset" thing is some combination of a fantasy and a con--it almost has the flavor of a pyramid scheme.

I like Teslas, and I like the way the technology keeps pushing forward. And I think Elon has done pretty well delivering on the technology side, even if it's sometimes on "Elon time." But his pricing announcements and predictions have a much worse track record, and always seem designed to extract money from those willing to pay. Heck, do you remember what the original roll-out plan was going to be for Model 3s? It bore no resemblance at all to what eventually ended up happening.

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think people should just look at what you get right now and decide if it's worth it. Don't buy it thinking something down the road is going to make it worth it. Whatever you're expecting may not happen and if it does it probably won't meet your expectations at least at first. There are people on this forum saying TACC is unusable due to phantom braking. I disagree but you can read forums/reviews about people's experience with it, watch youtube videos of it in action, and test drive it. None of that is available for any future features except a little has leaked on enhanced summon. I guarantee when that comes out some will like it and some will complain. And it's already much later than they said it would come out. The same will happen for city driving features and eventually FSD. They will be late and not up to everyone's standards. I don't think HW3 is going to result in a step function of performance like some believe either. When they roll out city driving it will only be on HW3 but that isn't going to be perfect when it comes out and I don't think many people will want to use it very much. I got FSD because I want to beta test basically. I think it's historic and fascinating. I want to watch the sausage being made. Will my car ever drive me around while I sleep? Dunno. If you want to beta test or donate money to Tesla, then get it.

PA-pilot

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Silly question as I have not been tracking the price of FSD lately. I have EAP on both my cars and took advantage of the $2k pricing for my Model 3. My wife doesn't drive much so we passed for her X. Based on my Tesla account is $6k correct for adding FSD to an EAP equipped vehicle? It seems awfully high....

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We are definitely in a period of transition, Tesla will alter the price where they need it to keep the cash rolling in. Remember what the early buyers of the Model S paid for their cars? Most of them paid way more than what the true value of the car might have been worth and they paid for EAP and FSD that they know they'll never get now. They did it knowing based on faith that it might happen some day and they were getting the company off the ground and to have enough money to launch the next model - the 3.

So we are at the next point, no one makes you buy FSD, and at times it is priced stupidly high and sometimes it is a steal. Tesla has proven they will alter the price based on what people will pay. It doesn't matter what I think is fair or anyone else, it will change again. It truly is a gamble to some degree.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Silly question as I have not been tracking the price of FSD lately. I have EAP on both my cars and took advantage of the $2k pricing for my Model 3. My wife doesn't drive much so we passed for her X. Based on my Tesla account is $6k correct for adding FSD to an EAP equipped vehicle? It seems awfully high....
Sounds correct. Originally, they quoted it as $4000 at the time of purchase and $5000 after purchase. Then with the $2k 'sale' this spring, they advised it would be increasing to $6000 (and now $7000 next month).

Jarettp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’d take anything he says with a huge slab of salt. But the point is if you want FSD within the next decade it’ll be through Tesla only. As for pricing, I can see them dropping the cost of upgrades towards end of year if sales aren’t where they’re ant them to be. Pricing will be dictated by the market, but $2k to go from EAP to FSD seems unreasonable. Being able to autonomously navigate local traffic where a lot of time is wasted for only $2k seems like a steal.
My car can already do 90% of my local driving. Just can't turn on/off streets and make stops at lights and signs. It wouldn't be twice as useful to me to gain those things so why should I pay twice as much (or more) for them. Furthermore, why should anyone? Safe lane keeping solves most of my driving woes. And I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car can already do 90% of my local driving. Just can't turn on/off streets and make stops at lights and signs. It wouldn't be twice as useful to me to gain those things so why should I pay twice as much (or more) for them. Furthermore, why should anyone? Safe lane keeping solves most of my driving woes. And I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way.
then don't buy FSD if it isn't of value to you. nobody is forcing you to consider adding it.

this thread is about the upcoming price increase... not the debate of FSD's usefulness.