Tesla is raising the price of its 'full self-driving' package by $1,000

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Jarettp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well well well what have we here? Elon coming to his senses. Hate to be that guy but.... I called it. Now if he'd cut that last $1k off I'd be ecstatic but this isn't a bad compromise.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
this isn't specifically a price cut, but keeps them from having to reimburse the EAP owners the difference that was quoted at purchase for FSD to be added later, which they have been doing.

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got an email stating the new $3k price will go up on the 16th... *sigh*

This really annoys me. We already paid more for the car with EAP back in 2018 compared to the same car with FSD bought now. Why do they want me to fork over another 3k for future FSD and say "the price will go up".

Also, I think LEGALLY they cannot charge more than the agreement states when you bought the car. For me, it was 3k at purchase and 4k after delivery. That means they are locked into the 4k price tag because that was the specified price at time of purchase. Correct?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, I think LEGALLY they cannot charge more than the agreement states when you bought the car. For me, it was 3k at purchase and 4k after delivery. That means they are locked into the 4k price tag because that was the specified price at time of purchase. Correct?
The $4k after-delivery price was mentioned on the ordering page, because *at that time*, they were charging $4k to add FSD after having taken delivery of the car. But I don't think the $4k price is actually part of your purchase contract.

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The $4k after-delivery price was mentioned on the ordering page, because *at that time*, they were charging $4k to add FSD after having taken delivery of the car. But I don't think the $4k price is actually part of your purchase contract.
hmmm interesting.

I still get very angry when I see the price of a model 3 now vs when I bought it. I could order a FSD exact version of my car for 7K less than what I bought it for in 2018. The only reason I pulled the trigger back in 2018 was Tesla saying "hurry up before tax break gets reduced". I would have happily waited until 2019 to buy it.

For this reason Im not sure I will EVER buy FSD. Just the principle of giving Tesla more money to upgrade my car when the car is so much cheaper now.

Jarettp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
hmmm interesting.

I still get very angry when I see the price of a model 3 now vs when I bought it. I could order a FSD exact version of my car for 7K less than what I bought it for in 2018. The only reason I pulled the trigger back in 2018 was Tesla saying "hurry up before tax break gets reduced". I would have happily waited until 2019 to buy it.

For this reason Im not sure I will EVER buy FSD. Just the principle of giving Tesla more money to upgrade my car when the car is so much cheaper now.
It does kind of suck how they played the tax rebate. Sounds like you still saved $500 overall but the whole thing is kind of ridiculous tbh.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I may be the only one here, but I'm excited about this. The increase in price means they're closer to realizing FSD. I'm not saying FSD will happen by EOY, but I'd be very surprised if we didn't see some AP/EAP/FSD type features being released around the same time. It's just more than a week away and I can't wait!

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It does kind of suck how they played the tax rebate. Sounds like you still saved $500 overall but the whole thing is kind of ridiculous tbh.
no i dont think so. My car was 61000 - 7500 rebate so 53,500. The current car is 54000 - 1875 (current tax rebate right?) so thats 52125.

So thats a a lot closer than I thought. But the new car is about 1K cheaper but WITH FSD, where mine only has EAP. Thats why I think EAP owners should get the FSD for free. I can totally see paying for the install of the new computer, but thats it. Between the price changes and all the stuff we dealt with in 2018 I think thats more than fair.

I may be the only one here, but I'm excited about this. The increase in price means they're closer to realizing FSD. I'm not saying FSD will happen by EOY, but I'd be very surprised if we didn't see some AP/EAP/FSD type features being released around the same time. It's just more than a week away and I can't wait!
yes this is a good point. I think the Auto/enhanced summon will be the last feature still covered under EAP. So the next feature after summon will be specifically for FSD only, and im sure everything after as well.

Jarettp

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
no i dont think so. My car was 61000 - 7500 rebate so 53,500. The current car is 54000 - 1875 (current tax rebate right?) so thats 52125.

So thats a a lot closer than I thought. But the new car is about 1K cheaper but WITH FSD, where mine only has EAP. Thats why I think EAP owners should get the FSD for free. I can totally see paying for the install of the new computer, but thats it. Between the price changes and all the stuff we dealt with in 2018 I think thats more than fair.

yes this is a good point. I think the Auto/enhanced summon will be the last feature still covered under EAP. So the next feature after summon will be specifically for FSD only, and im sure everything after as well.
Yeah you're right when considering FSD. Consider me in the free FSD camp now!

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
But I don't think the $4k price is actually part of your purchase contract.
Maybe never a part of the actual contract, but Tesla made an internal decision to honor the FSD after-delivery price that was stated at the time of purchase for anyone who ordered a Tesla by June 25, 2018, per the attached email from customer service which I received on October 1, 2018. For all orders after June 2018, the FSD pricing was never locked in if not purchased with the car.

Note that this email also captures one of their changes in pricing of $4k to $5k in June 2018 for after-delivery FSD. Little did we know it would be $2k during the fire sale and now back to $3k for awhile for those with EAP.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

FSD isn't standard on new Model 3's; it's a $6000 option. So your car was 53,500, but has EAP, while the 52125 only has AP. That actually sounds like you got a bargain.

If you mean the FSD computer, then yes; that's standard on the new cars. But the new car owners still have to fork over a lot for the as-yet-nonexistent FSD features.

Caulin

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FSD isn't standard on new Model 3's; it's a $6000 option. So your car was 53,500, but has EAP, while the 52125 only has AP. That actually sounds like you got a bargain.

If you mean the FSD computer, then yes; that's standard on the new cars. But the new car owners still have to fork over a lot for the as-yet-nonexistent FSD features.
Yes I understand. What im saying is my exact car with FSD upgrade costs 52125 if purchased today. Im not that upset about the price difference. But it definitely makes me not want to purchase FSD for my car.

Im also pretty confident that once it comes out Tesla will inevitably have some sort of sale at some point once initial "buying" occurs. Im sure at the end of some quarter they will offer a sale to try and boost their numbers. So im alright with waiting it out.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Im also pretty confident that once it comes out Tesla will inevitably have some sort of sale at some point once initial "buying" occurs. Im sure at the end of some quarter they will offer a sale to try and boost their numbers. So im alright with waiting it out.
I would NOT bet on seeing a sale on FSD at all. This is the cheapest it will ever be. Why would they drop the price once the features are available? You're going to continue to see more price hikes. Elon has already publicly stated this many times. We're seeing evidence of it now.

The discount is provided to the early adopters as they're the ones having to place a lot of faith in Tesla to deliver on these features. The longer you wait, the more of a reality those features are. The more those features have value. The more reason people will want to buy them. All NOT leading to a price decrease, but instead a price increase. If by releasing FSD increases the value of your car drastically, which Elon has eluded to many times, why would they decrease the price?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes I understand. What im saying is my exact car with FSD upgrade costs 52125 if purchased today. Im not that upset about the price difference. But it definitely makes me not want to purchase FSD for my car.

the price difference is between what we paid last year and what a new car today is isn't to blame on AP/FSD, but them lowering the prices to account for the federal tax credit going away.
EAP + FSD at the time of purchase last year was $7000. Today AP is included and FSD is $6000. So the total price to get FSD is $1000 less, but the bigger price difference is everything else that was reduced in the overall car price. so don't take it out on FSD or Tesla attempting to punish someone who purchased early. See it as a benefit to those just now discovering the car and able to get it for nearly the same final price regardless of the federal tax credit being reduced (soon gone).

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I would NOT bet on seeing a sale on FSD at all. This is the cheapest it will ever be. Why would they drop the price once the features are available? You're going to continue to see more price hikes. Elon has already publicly stated this many times. We're seeing evidence of it now.

The discount is provided to the early adopters as they're the ones having to place a lot of faith in Tesla to deliver on these features. The longer you wait, the more of a reality those features are. The more those features have value. The more reason people will want to buy them. All NOT leading to a price decrease, but instead a price increase. If by releasing FSD increases the value of your car drastically, which Elon has eluded to many times, why would they decrease the price?
Those are good arguments.

Here are some counterarguments:

1. Prices for these features have been a roller-coaster. Prices get cut when Tesla needs an injection of cash, and wants more people to buy in. Then they get raised when Tesla needs an injection of cash, and wants to get people off the fence and buy in before the price goes up (Tesla always gives notice before an AP or FSD price increase for that reason). I see no reason for that pattern to change as long as it's working for Tesla.

2. There wasn't really a discount provided to early adopters. The lowest price was in the "fire sale" earlier this year, when AP was $2k and FSD was $2k more. The early adopters didn't get that price.

3. Elon has a pretty good track record on predicting tech advances, an iffy record with timelines, and a terrible record with pricing. I see no reason to trust his prediction of FSD being an "appreciating asset." Even if Teslas do become autonomous robo-taxies, that means the price of taking a robo-taxi will go down rather than the value of the cars skyrocketing.

4. Tesla likes safety, particularly in the sense of preventing accidents from happening in the first place. If the FSD computer makes the cars safer, they'll want everyone to have it. If the FSD features make the cars safer, then they'll want everyone to have those too. It's also bad PR for Tesla if some cars are still having issues with AP which could be solved with the new hardware--they'd rather Teslas have a reputation of being good at driving themselves.

Put it all together, and what I expect to happen is a continued yo-yo of prices for autonomy options, partially as a method to try to get everyone to upgrade. Eventually, I expect the FSD computer to be free or very low-cost to existing HW 2.5 owners, as Tesla will want the safety improvements that come with it. At that point, they'd still charge for the FSD features. But I wouldn't be surprised if far enough down the line at least some of those features become free to existing owners as well.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Elon confirmed that the price will continue to rise as they continue to release more features.

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I see no reason to trust his prediction of FSD being an "appreciating asset." Even if Teslas do become autonomous robo-taxies, that means the price of taking a robo-taxi will go down rather than the value of the cars skyrocketing.
Absolutely. I can't believe so few people understand this. The market will set the price to be marginally above the cost. Otherwise it's not sustainable.