Quad Cities and Surrounding Area

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Welcome to the Tesla Owners Online forum and to the thread dedicated to the Quad Cities and the surrounding areas! This thread will be updated with information, contacts, events, recommendations for local services, etc. and is really open for any discussion that anyone might find useful, informative or just wants to talk about! (Latest update date stamp at bottom of this post)

What is Tesla Quad Cities? Why did you create it?
I decided to create the Tesla Quad Cities website and work with the Tesla Owners Online forum and this thread in order for us to have something local for the Quad Cities area. There are official Tesla Owners Clubs operating out of Chicago and Des Moines (see RESOURCES below for official contacts), and I’m proud to be a member of the Tesla Owners Club Iowa (which is the club founded/based out of the Des Moines area), however I felt there was still a need for something in the Quad City area, which is really taking off in terms of Tesla ownership, enthusiasm and interest. With that in mind, Tesla Quad Cities was born! An unofficial (not affiliated with Tesla or the official Tesla Owners Clubs) enthusiast group with a simple goal: bring people together to chat about their vehicles and local services, help each other, bounce ideas off one another, perhaps arrange for meet ups, and maybe even work out some test drives. My idea is that Tesla Quad Cities is really open to whatever we want to make of it. The more the merrier and the more feedback and input from everyone, the better. Please reply here and/or contact me directly with any thoughts and ideas you may have. Either message me here or outside the forum. (email: admin@teslaquadcities.com).

Why Tesla Owners Online?
In speaking with Tesla’s main point of contact for the official owners clubs, I was encouraged to build on top of what’s already established and available. Nowhere have I found more helpful information, great conversation and amazing people than here on the Tesla Owners Online (TOO) forum. I reached out to @TrevP , the founder of Tesla Owners Online, to ask about utilizing the already great community here as a home base for a Tesla Quad Cities specific thread. With this connection, we not only have a place to discuss local topics, but also have a vast amount of readily available resources to leverage and a community to join and bank upon for bigger topics that aren’t Quad City specific. Having issues with your software? There’s a dedicated thread section for that! A specific issue with your Model S/X/3? There are different forum areas for each vehicle! Odds are you can do a search and find similar posts, and if you don’t see one you can start your own new thread and have access to helpful replies from forum members all over the world!

Please join the forum and respond here if you wish. Otherwise feel free to remain anonymous and surf through the great amount of helpful topics here on Tesla Owners Online. If you would like to join the forum, there is no obligation, no cost, nothing expected in any way, shape or form. No one will cram their referral code down your throat and forum participation is open to as little or as much as you wish! We’d love to have you join us!

I’d like to take a brief moment here to personally thank Tesla Owners Online forum founder @TrevP for his support, advice and encouragement as I’ve worked through this idea of mine over the last few months to see it to fruition, and for allowing Tesla Quad Cities’ owners, fans, enthusiasts, etc. to have an amazing place to come and gather and discuss all things Tesla! Also, another HUGE shout out to the dedicated volunteer forum moderators of Tesla Owners Online who do an amazing job keeping all of this up and running so smoothly!

What’s next for Tesla Quad Cities?
I honestly have no idea! I created the website and this thread without really knowing what to expect. I’m going to do what I can to get the word out about the site and this thread via business cards and a sticker on my car window...look for the Tesla Quad Cities logo on HEAV3N, a white Model 3, or on my wife’s black Model S. Here are some pics of them! I’m really hopeful that this will help bring people together and that the group grows. I’d love to see a solid expanding base of enthusiastic Quad City Tesla owners joining up and connecting here, and I’m certain it’s possible because I see an increasing number of Tesla vehicles on the roads every day! I’ll tag a few members of this forum that I know are from the QC area in the Tesla Quad City owners area below to get things started.

Basically, what’s next is up in the air. Really if anyone finds this useful in any way, than my efforts will have been worth it. I’m hoping for the best! Please consider passing this information along to others you think might be interested. I would greatly appreciate it!

PLEASE JOIN US ON SLACK!!! Download the free chatting app and let me know. I’ll invite you to our group if this link below doesn’t work. We have a growing group and I started a Slack group chat so that we could discuss all kinds of things! LINK

RESOURCES:
Official Tesla Owners Club Directory: LINK
Tesla Owners Club Iowa: Paul Julstrom (email: phjul9@gmail.com)
Tesla Owners Club Illinois (Chicago): Nicoletta Skarlatos (email: tesla.owners.chicago@gmail.com)

Tesla Quad City owners (tagged if on Tesla Owners Online):
@Love (Hey, that’s me!!)
@COOP3R, @tompsters, @silvwarrior
Bob and Becky (Model S and Model 3 owners)
Dan (Model 3)
Scott (Model 3)
Jake (Model S)
Linda (Model 3)
Paul (Model 3)
Andrew

@YOU! (Sign up for the Tesla Owners Online forum today and get connected!)
Are you on here already and not listed? Please contact me!

Local Service Shop Recommendations (PPF, ceramic, tint, dent repair, rim rash repair, tire rotation, etc):
Dents and More 84 I took my car here for opti-coat pro plus ceramic. Kevin is extremely thorough and professional. Every time I stopped there he had at least one old classic or some kind of exotic car in another bay. His reputation is strong and well deserved.
Dent Relief In need of some rim rash repair? Though the name is Dent Relief, they also offer this service.

Tesla Certified Body Shop Search Takes you to the Tesla website page where you can enter your location to see nearby certified body shop repair shops.

Charging Locations:
Tesla Supercharger Davenport 8 stalls, up to 120kW
Destination Charging:
Teriyaki Madness
Beiderbecke Inn
Visit PlugShare or Chargepoint to find others! Plenty of them around.

Tesla Parts Catalogue:
LINK (click the “general public” button, then select your vehicle)

Other Information:
Use A Better Route Planner to plan your EV trip!

MidAmerican Energy:
MidAmerican Energy $500 Rebate for Qualifying EV Purchases: LINK
MidAmerican Energy plans for network of level 3 charging stations in Iowa: LINK
Current MidAmerican Energy’s energy mix: LINK (59% wind as of last update)

See if you’re desired personalized plate is available!!
Iowa vanity plate check: LINK
Illinois vanity plate check: LINK

Ideas in the works:
Replace website imagery with local pictures, like local owners in front of places like the Davenport Supercharger or places the Quad Cities is known for like Modern Woodmen park or whatever they’re calling The Mark these days! Would love to work with a local photographer and the local cities if they have organizations that would be open to meeting up.

Contact local first responder organizations to see if they would like to meet up and go over the ins and outs of a Tesla vehicle and its emerging technology like summon and autopilot.

If you have ideas for the above RESOURCES sections or for a new section/topic of its own and if you would like to be included in the Tesla Quad City members list, please respond here or message me. Please note that new forum members are not allowed to message right away on this forum to help combat spam, so you can reply here on this thread, or if you prefer you can write to me directly at admin@teslaquadcities.com.

LINKS:
Tesla Quad Cities website
Follow us on Instagram
Follow us on Twitter

Hopefully still much more to come...

DISCLAIMER: I want to be very clear here that I am not affiliated with Tesla or directly with official Tesla Owners Clubs and am simply a fellow Tesla enthusiast that wants to help spread the word and get more people to experience these amazing vehicles. I am not getting anything for doing any of this. My referral code is not visibly posted here, nor on my website, business cards, or on any of my social media and never will be. If you are in need of a referral code, I would recommend you go with that of a family member’s, a friend’s or with someone that you feel helped you on your journey towards Tesla ownership. If you still need one after all that, let’s talk!

Last update: October 31: Changed my username. Added SLACK info.
10480390-74a1-40ec-a298-31fedc63a8e6-png.29631

Last edited:

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had a friend share this with me and I wanted to pass this along. The state of Iowa now has BLACKOUT plates available (see attached image for the sample). They're just plain black with white lettering, which to me is a drastic improvement over the current standard plate. More details can be found here on the IOWA DOT official website. Costs are $35 (initial fee) and $10 yearly for "numbered" plates, and $65/$15* respectively for personalized (vanity) plates.

picture0001-png.27479

*See the NOTICE in the yellowish box in the picture above. If you have a vanity plate, you have to fill out the form, print it and mail it along with your payment. They are not currently set up to transfer a personalized/vanity plate over to a blackout. I've emailed them to clarify the fees as I already have a personalized plate ($25) and would expect I only need to pay the difference ($35) for the blackouts. I will edit my response here once I know more.

EDIT: CONFIRMED. If you already have personalized plates (vanities) then you pay $35 for the blackout, not the full $60 as that cost is calculated as if you are getting both at once ($35 for blackout and $25 for personalized). Check can be made out to IDOT (no need to spell out Iowa Department of Transportation). Hope this helps! HEAV3N is going to get new plates!

EDIT II: I received my package returned back in the mail as "incomplete" stating that I must pay the full $60. I called up the DMV and spoke with someone who confirmed that I received incorrect guidance previously (and then subsequently posted that incorrect guidance here, sorry all). For current vanity plates, the fee is $60.

Last edited:

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Come join me at the Cars and Coffee event in LeClaire, Iowa, Saturday July 27th from 8AM to 11AM! More info can be found on the Tesla Quad Cities EVENTS page, where you can also RSVP and let ol @Lovesword know he’ll have company! I’ve not been to this event before but am very excited about it and looking forward to it! For those with Facebook (the devils website, it’s evil!!), LeClaire’s official events page says to search “cars and Coffee LeClaire” for updates. The page does say “weather permitting” so give that a glance, and I’ll post more here as the time gets closer, if there appears to be any chance this falls through and/or could be cancelled.

Hoping to have a few people come out and represent Tesla with me!
Now...which Tesla shirt to wear!?!? 😜

FRC

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Come join me at the Cars and Coffee event in LeClaire, Iowa, Saturday July 27th from 8AM to 11AM! More info can be found on the Tesla Quad Cities EVENTS page, where you can also RSVP and let ol @Lovesword know he’ll have company! I’ve not been to this event before but am very excited about it and looking forward to it! For those with Facebook (the devils website, it’s evil!!), LeClaire’s official events page says to search “cars and Coffee LeClaire” for updates. The page does say “weather permitting” so give that a glance, and I’ll post more here as the time gets closer, if there appears to be any chance this falls through and/or could be cancelled.

I've got Tesla Mobile coming to the house on the 26th, so I don't think I can get there in time!!:rolleyes:

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Look at that - eves drop on the Quad cities thread and see that we've not been invited to a local meet up !!! OK Just kidding, however would be fun. 13 hours driving each direction from Dallas doesn't quite fit into a weekend though. Sounds like fun, wishing everyone a good time for those that make it to that event.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
DO YOU WANT TO TEST DRIVE A TESLA?

There is no greater counter to the fear, uncertainty and doubt that can creep into the minds of someone considering a Tesla than this: EXPERIENCE ONE FOR YOURSELF!

For those in the Quad Cities, this typically means a road trip to one of the Tesla locations in/around Chicago. I would preach the electric vehicle gospel to anyone willing enough to stomach the speech that the trip up is well worth it just to see/sit in/touch/drive your Tesla vehicle of choice…
BUT for one day in August, Tesla Westmont is BRINGING THE TESLA VEHICLES TO US!!!

WHEN: THURSDAY, AUGUST 22ND from NOON to 5pm
WHERE: DAVENPORT SUPERCHARGER
(Located by Hy-Vee 53rd and Utica)

Though I wish it could be on a different day and for longer, this only came about as the result of some creative thinking by the team at Westmont to utilize some time they’ll have before what appears to be a private event in the area. I don’t know any more about that private event but do know this… that’s still 5 full hours of Tesla test drives!

I wanted to get this info out as soon as I could so that anyone interested could take advantage of this window of opportunity. I actually won’t be able to make it for most of this (work), but do plan to try and stop up as soon as I’m off (my arrival guesstimate: @3:45pm).

HOW DO I SIGN UP???
Please email Aaron Nance at ANANCE@TESLA.COM. Let him know that you are wanting to test drive a Tesla on August 22nd in the QUAD CITIES. If you would let him know that you heard about this through Tesla Quad Cities, I would greatly appreciate it!** There could be limited time slots available as they like to give each driver a good amount of time with their vehicle of choice so act fast! Please also help spread the word… tell those who you know will be interested!

I have a feeling that this event will be as big as we make it. Meaning if there is enough interest, the amount and type of Tesla vehicles coming down could likely grow. I also feel if we show that there’s enough interest from our area that this type of event will occur more often. Please keep in mind that there were two such events like this last year that were all day “drive events” with every type of Tesla…unfortunately, nearly the entirety of that group of amazing workers, many of whom I grew close to, were not spared in one of the rounds of layoffs and cutbacks that happened at Tesla. Therefore I think it’s up to us to show Tesla that local Quad City events were (and will be) absolutely worth their time!!! That the demand in this area is so astonishingly high they’re going to have to continue coming down here on a regular basis, and keep on doing so until they finally establish a Service Center in the Quad Cities!

Please email Aaron Nance, spread the word and get others to email him as well! Feel free to ask me questions here and I’ll do my best to answer. Thank you kindly for your time!

**I want to be very clear here that I am not affiliated with Tesla and am simply a fellow Tesla enthusiast that wants to help spread the word and get more people to experience these amazing vehicles. I am not getting anything for doing any of this. My referral code is not visibly posted here, or on my website, or on my business cards. If you are in need of a referral code, I would recommend you go with that of a family member’s, a friend’s or with someone that you feel helped you on your journey towards Tesla ownership.

Last edited:

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Reminder!!! Tomorrow. Cars. Coffee. You, me and our Tesla vehicles!

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had the address wrong. It’s 197 Front Street, not 107. It’s by a Riverboat Twilight.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Updated the post above after having my application rejected due to an incorrect amount on my check. Sorry for posting incorrect info.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
...and down the rabbit hole I went. After seeing the news that @silvwarrior posted above and going to MidAmerican's website, I ended up poking around there. Looks like MidAmerican is also planning to partner with some business in select cities to create a network of Level 3 vehicle charging stations! LINK

That's some pretty fascinating stuff! Along with their commitment to be using 100% renewable energy by 2021, I am really liking where this is going! Though I'm still unhappy about them trying to pull this crap and make solar owners pay more.

Edit to add this. Current energy mix, I'm assuming as of this posting as this is the data from that link:
WIND: 59%
COAL: 24%
NATURAL GAS: 13%
NUCLEAR/OTHER: 4%

A little info for anyone getting into a disagreement about "your car runs on coal" or the like. ;)
Also, if anyone hasn't seen THIS VIDEO (YouTube link, I'll embed below. Video is about 22 minutes long IIRC), one of the points made is that no matter WHICH of the above is used to fuel your Tesla (and/or other EV), that fuel is coming from an American company almost 100% of the time. And if not American, Canadian! So, keeping the income here at home versus sending it overseas to regimes that might not have a positive opinion of us.

Last edited:

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
At the beginning of July, I decided to have my car ceramic coated with Opti-Coat Pro Plus by Kevin at Dents and More on 84. Kevin came highly recommended to me by @COOP3R who had his car ceramic coated and Paint Protection Film (PPF) done to some of the front areas of his car.

I first arranged to meet Kevin and have him look my car over, I wanted to hear from an expert about this “Tesla paint quality” and see how bad mine was. Even though my VIN is in the 4000 range (man, I’ve had my Model 3 a year and a half already!), he said my paint didn’t look bad at all. Take that, FUDsters! I asked him to explain the various levels of protection I could go with from a detail and wax, to Opti-Coat, PPF, and up to the Pro Plus I ended up choosing. This initial visit also allowed me a chance to meet Kevin and sort of get a feel for the man that I’d be trusting my car with. Quite simply, I was impressed.

It’s a one man show in a four stall garage and a level of scrutiny and attention to detail to the products he buys, uses personally, and recommends to others, and his methodology for going about his business built upon years of mastery, continuous study, and constant searches for the best and/or improved tactics and products that blew me away. He’s particular about everything he trusts and uses on his customers vehicles. He’s picky about how things are done to the point he works alone still in spite of the demand for his labor and an overflowing workload. When I first arrived in his garage that day, he had a vintage classic I couldn’t even tell you the make/model of and a Corvette that was newer that he mentioned was quite rare. I’ve heard time and again that anyone with a classic, an exotic, or just a guy like me with a desire to protect our car...they all go to Kevin, and that includes people not just in the area but people will come from far and wide to have him work on their cars!

We arranged HEAV3N’s ceramic coat application to coincide with a week long vacation my wife and I enjoyed. This worked out beyond perfect as Kevin not only could work at a pace that benefited him, but also my car was allowed to sit indoors the entire time I was gone! Having those 4 bays and only 1 employee has its benefits sometimes! This gave the ceramic coating that much more time to fully cure before facing the elements. I’m so grateful to Kevin for letting my car sit indoors at his shop for that entire week! Hopefully it acted as an eye popper to visitors the way those other cars did to me on my first visit and brought him some more work! When I went to pick up my car I had that Tesla delivery grin all over again. Seeing as how Kevin decontaminates the paint, then does paint correction and then does the ceramic coat, I can say 100% without a doubt my car looked BETTER than it did at delivery! Time for some pics:

b0206e90-92cf-49c7-a9f3-ff4c7e6f1bff-jpeg.28263
4b99833b-1575-4f7e-ade3-c81ab0cd4bb1-jpeg.28264
16020a32-b82c-43d6-9116-9352e4d5dc49-jpeg.28265
2cccc9c4-79b8-4a88-b642-19206b1da99c-jpeg.28266
0e70d05a-b741-4ca1-86b9-6dde3ef5a74a-jpeg.28267

A couple weeks after, I was back out to Dents and More on 84 again to pick up some products and take full advantage of the next level customer service Kevin provides. A full car wash where he explains step by step what he’s doing and shows how to replicate the results at home! I left with all the products I’ll need (purchased separately than the ceramic) to take care of my car and keep the Opti-Coat Pro Plus coat at its’ best. Rather than go in to the details, I’ll post this picture and try to answer any questions if there are any (and if I can).
58ffb43c-df79-4e52-a6ae-6a5de94ce1b1-jpeg.28268
58c35a5d-a0d5-4eeb-8961-e91d87887fb4-jpeg.28269

(By the way, those 2 grey towels are sooooo friggin thick, soft and AMAZING!)

So I’ve had the Opti-Coat Pro Plus ceramic coating for over a month now and decided it was time to write this and share. I actually was out washing my car today and it was so easy that it reminded me I wanted to get on the forum here and do this! Hell, how about a few more pics from today since I just finished my car wash routine:

1c76841b-b431-44ad-ab3d-2143c21cd623-jpeg.28270

c604fab6-35a6-4b3b-9ee8-b14c23da44e5-jpeg.28271

(Never thought I’d get so much joy out of a clean rocker panel, lol! )

Anyway, if you’re in the market for some work on your car (any make/model), I’m very happy with and will absolutely recommend Kevin at Dents and More on 84!