Zero to Sixty times

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm slightly confused. Was the LR RWD originally advertised as 5.1 seconds? If so, since there were two 5% power increases since last year when it came out, wouldn't that be a 10% total power increase? 5.1 sec to 4.9 sec doesn't seem like a 10% relative increase (and I realize it's not a 10% faster 0-60 or that would be like 4.59 sec (but i don't know the formula or how the "power" increase was incorporated since it's not my expertise, but maybe someone can help me clarify, and if LR RWD did actually receive about a 10% increase?) Thx
They can program the car to distribute the power increase in different places, not just in the 0-60 range.

Vin

Country
Country
x * 1.05 * 1.05 = more than 10%, but not much. Like compound interest.

Example:
Two 5% separate increases:
400 * 1.05 = 420
420 * 1.05 = 441

One 10% increase:
400 * 1.10 = 440
Thx, that formula makes sense, but in the case of 0-60 times does 5.1 to 4.9 equate to about 10% increase in power or does that seem like too small a difference for LR RWD (and it should be a lower 0-60 time?)

Vin

Country
Country
They can program the car to distribute the power increase in different places, not just in the 0-60 range.
Then that definitely makes more sense that a LR version would have less of a decrease in 0-60 as a MR due to weight (as mentioned earlier in thread). I do feel the power but not necessarily all in speed. I mentioned in another thread that my LR RWD seems to cut through rain a little better and maybe that's why).

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Even though heavier... Doesn't larger battery "typically" mean more powaaaa?
More power from the battery, yes, but you are limited by the weakest link in the chain, which could be the wiring or a fuse, but most likely is just the motor or inverter. Especially considering the same battery is used for AWD and performance, the single motor is most likely the limitation. If they are the same between the two models, then the SR/MR could be faster than LR.
The other question is if Tesla actually downgraded the FETs in the inverter for the SR/MR, which would be more likely to be a limit and slow those down. I think the LR, AWD, and P all use the same higher rated inverter.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is my recollection of events as told by scanning the forums and verified by my butt dyno, for my LR RWD.
Delivery May 2018: Every bit of advertised power present, with significant torque down low.
Early summer 2018: Something happened with an OTA update and power was reduced across the board. I especially noticed lack of torque under 30 MPH and under 80% battery
Late 2018: Some acceleration came back with an update, noticeable at battery levels in the 60-80% range.
First 2019 "5%" bump: Seemed pretty even increase across the board, but not mind blowing, felt like less than 5%.
Current 36.2.1 "5%" bump: We're back baby! While I don't think torque under 30 is what it was at delivery, 30-60 MPH has gobs more power, and 60-80 passing speeds have a noticable bump as well. Feels like more than 5%.

Last edited:

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Current 36.2.1 "5%" bump: We're back baby! While I don't think torque under 30 is what it was at delivery, 30-60 MPH has gobs more power, and 60-80 passing speeds have a noticable bump as well. Feels like more than 5%.
Definitely agree with this point, I’ve been down about the same road and I think the latest is the best version I’ve had of the car since LATE May 2018

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mountain Pass Performance confirmed the 5% power increase for SR+. All of the gains were at and after field weakening begins, which is around 40 MPH. This is awesome, because it is exactly where Teslas can use the extra power boost (after field weakening begins).

I'm curious what the SR+ will do 0-60 now under 2019.36

Last edited:

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Temperatures reached nearly 60 today and sunny, so I knew it was my only chance to record some 0-60 runs in my original spot.

I recorded 4.84 sec in my LR RWD. The previous firmware bump I recorded 4.999 sec in the same spot. This is of course with no runout, but dependent on a 20ms speed signal.
Still, a nice improvement from the original 5.1x seconds for zero cost.

slasher016

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Temperatures reached nearly 60 today and sunny, so I knew it was my only chance to record some 0-60 runs in my original spot.

I recorded 4.84 sec in my LR RWD. The previous firmware bump I recorded 4.999 sec in the same spot. This is of course with no runout, but dependent on a 20ms speed signal.
Still, a nice improvement from the original 5.1x seconds for zero cost.
What did you use to measure it?

Rush

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got the update last night and it's noticeably faster. I really should get one of those track analysis tools so I can accurately measure my 0-60.
The Stats App on the App Store has a 0 to 60 timer in the settings. Comming back from Phoenix to Tucson by way of Florence today with my NEW Standard Plus, I tried it a few times, and best I got was 6.55 sec and it should be in the 5.3 sec range. I guess I need to charge it up fully and warm up the battery pack...