Zero to Sixty times

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yesterday I went to a meeting a couple hours drive away. when I got there and chatting with a couple people while waiting for the others, they asked the typical Tesla questions: "how long have you had it?", "how far can it go on a charge?", "how long does it take to charge?", "do you like it?", etc, etc... I mentioned it'd just gotten this latest update and gained 5% more power. The one guy commented that it was crazy to think they can send updates out to the car (which I answered with it happening every few days to once a month) and the other was blown away that the car could gain power with a software update. :D

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry, yes, my bad memory. 5.1 was reduced to 5.0. There was plenty of chatter about nerfing in early 2018 but I never really saw scientific proof. So maybe we are now just back to where they were originally.

The reality is Tesla is dialing more precise control of the motors, as well as some intentional imprecise control to generate extra inefficient heat to warm the battery while driving for supercharging. Perhaps early on they were not as careful and experienced some failures and slowly found ways to bring it back more reliably. I would love to be a fly on the wall of their powertrain team (or you know...part of it)!
I’m surprised you aren’t a Tesla team member. May simply be because you are on the wrong coast. They could benefit from you and I’m sure we would benefit form you being there. I’m sure you could crank out some special SW for your friends here.

Last edited:

JDM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The update arrived just as we were getting a dump of snow. I'm hoping to get some clearer roads in the coming days so that I can feel this power boost for myself. Excited to own a sub 5s 0-60 car.

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was reading that the LR RWD is now 4.5 0-60. Can anyone confirm that?
I know my butt-o-meter tells me the RWD LR got a significant acceleration increase. It also makes a bit of a soft whine noise now on hard launches - something I’ve only heard on the Model S 75D and AWD Model 3s.

Previously the car would have a noticeable flat acceleration after about 40mph. It feels like now a limiter has been removed because it feels like it keeps pulling. I enjoy it very much.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Last edited:

SMITTY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here is a good article from Electrek has the data on all versions. Looks like the original (and of course the best...) LR rear motor is right at 4.9 seconds now. Looks like that number has been verified by a number of Reddit and YouTube posts. Yes, I said it's the best because it's the one I own, move along now, nothing to see here.....LOL :)

https://electrek.co/2019/11/17/tesla-model-3-0-60mph-times-then-and-now-all-trims-compared/

Theres an article that shows the MID-RANGE Model 3 clocking in at 4.9... LONG RANGE should be quicker.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/16/tesl...goes-0-60mph-in-4-9s-down-from-5-6-at-launch/

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Latoso

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know if there was an improvement to the 0-60 time on the Model 3 LR RWD with the latest software update that advertised the 5% power improvement? And if so what is the new time? Thanks.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Theres an article that shows the MID-RANGE Model 3 clocking in at 4.9... LONG RANGE should be quicker.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/16/tesl...goes-0-60mph-in-4-9s-down-from-5-6-at-launch/
Actually the Long Range could actually be slower than mid range, because it has more weight due to the larger battery. (!)
Tesla will still have to nerf the mid range a little if they want to keep all of us happy that spent so much on the LR RWD...
I would love to verify, but the chances of having consistently warm temperatures and dry roads are dwindling.

SMITTY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually the Long Range could actually be slower than mid range, because it has more weight due to the larger battery. (!)
Tesla will still have to nerf the mid range a little if they want to keep all of us happy that spent so much on the LR RWD...
I would love to verify, but the chances of having consistently warm temperatures and dry roads are dwindling.
Even though heavier... Doesn't larger battery "typically" mean more powaaaa?

SMITTY

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is a 134lb difference between the Standard Range and the Mid Range with a substantial performance increase...

There is a 128lb difference between the Mid Range and the Long Range RWD so I would assume a performance increase would scale similarly.

All just assumptions on my part... And we all know what assumptions mean. :)

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wish it meant we had a faster 0-60 time than the lowly Mid-Range cars. However, we all know that Tesla doesn't play by the same rule book as everybody else.....Thank God! In this case though I think we are stuck with the same 4.9 time. Maybe they will uncork us a bit more someday when the realize both cars are hitting the same performance numbers.

Vin

Country
Country
I'm slightly confused. Was the LR RWD originally advertised as 5.1 seconds? If so, since there were two 5% power increases since last year when it came out, wouldn't that be a 10% total power increase? 5.1 sec to 4.9 sec doesn't seem like a 10% relative increase (and I realize it's not a 10% faster 0-60 or that would be like 4.59 sec (but i don't know the formula or how the "power" increase was incorporated since it's not my expertise, but maybe someone can help me clarify, and if LR RWD did actually receive about a 10% increase?) Thx