You You Xue's Model 3 Photos Bearing Replacement

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good grief! What in the world did he hit? And how fast was he going?!
My understanding is that it wasn't a pothole but some concrete that was sticking up in the middle of the road. In snowy conditions they didn't see it and ran over it and it damaged the rims and blew out both driver's side tires. Happened to some other motorists the same day as well.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You You Xue's Model 3 Road Trip suffered a bearing failure after blowing out two tries and two broken rims from a pot hole. He was able to take two photo's of the under side of the model 3.

View attachment 4994
View attachment 4995
What else is really interesting in the picture is that the lower A-arm is split and has 2 ball joints. The front arm has a larger ball joint than the rear arm most likely due to the sway bar being attached to the front arm and the increased load on it. Interesting to me at least!

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
He went back around to see what he hit, and it's a doozie. Basically crashing into a curb at full highway speeds. This could have been even larger when they hit, no doubt some broke off after it was hit. Frankly I'm shocked it didn't rip out half the suspension, and I think a testament to how solidly this car is built!

26221184_860985180739619_6649338502046071080_o-jpg.5015

Oregonian

Country
Country
What else is really interesting in the picture is that the lower A-arm is split and has 2 ball joints. The front arm has a larger ball joint than the rear arm most likely due to the sway bar being attached to the front arm and the increased load on it. Interesting to me at least!
I wonder what's the benefit of spitting it into 2 like that.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wonder what's the benefit of spitting it into 2 like that.
It would spread the A-arms load over 2 ball joints. The front ball joint is bigger as that one supports the coil over front shock AND the steering linkage. The rear one appears to offer additional support to the spindle. Probably overkill on RWD and primarily designed for the additional load of a front engine, differential and drive shafts on the AWD Dual motor version.

JBsC6

Country
Country
The bare chassis photo with the motor and the battery pack is always remarkable simplicity.

This is why I believe the industry will be moving to ev s in much greater volume...

I fully expect the ownership experience to be quite remarkable because of this.

I hope to have my model 3 by the end of 2018 if at all possibility.

Awd with two motors is needed for the northeast sales for many.

NRG4All

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Good grief! What in the world did he hit? And how fast was he going?!
Years ago I was riding our motorcycle going out of town. I saw a large pothole in the road and because I was on a motorcycle I was able to avoid it. Later that day I was returning on that same road. Just as I got close to the pothole there was an ICE driver whizzing along. I was just about beside him when he ran over the pothole and had two blowouts and bent rims. That is why I'm getting the 18" rims instead of the 19" rims. There's more rubber there to protect the rims and bearings.

youyouxue

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Like someone mentioned above, it was not a pothole but rather a large protrusion in the road. A pothole 8 inches deep would have certainly caused some major damage to the body itself, but the only damage was to the two left wheels.

I was also not driving at the time, the driver was a test drive participant who ended up refusing to take responsibility for the damage. A lawsuit has been filed.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was also not driving at the time, the driver was a test drive participant who ended up refusing to take responsibility for the damage. A lawsuit has been filed.
That escalated quickly.

I thought this was the type of thing best left to the auto insurance companies. You tell your insurance company what happened, and provide them with the driver's information. They get in touch with the other party's insurance company, and those two figure things out without resorting to a lawsuit (usually, in order to keep costs down).