You’re waiting how long? It took 5 weeks

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
OK, so full disclosure: I only wanted a MS for the longest time. I have driven several of them and I love it but I don’t love the price of a new one. I thought you people reserving 2 years ago were completely crazy. Maybe you are regardless of this...however, after the model 3 arrived in the Scottsdale showroom and I got to sit down in it I was absolutely hooked. I couldn’t get my wife to the store fast enough. So...my in laws have had a MX for about a year or so and when I asked about using their allowance for a reservation they were more than happy to oblige. That was Sunday, FIVE LONG DAYS AGO. I am checking the site everyday looking for my invitation to configure. So again I ask: You’re waiting how long? I do not know what saint of patience you are mentored by but this will be the most brutal wait for a car I have endured. I bet I visit it at least once a month until I get mine. I hope you first day people all get invited soon!

Archer

Country
Country
OK, so full disclosure: I only wanted a MS for the longest time. I have driven several of them and I love it but I don’t love the price of a new one. I thought you people reserving 2 years ago were completely crazy. Maybe you are regardless of this...however, after the model 3 arrived in the Scottsdale showroom and I got to sit down in it I was absolutely hooked. I couldn’t get my wife to the store fast enough. So...my in laws have had a MX for about a year or so and when I asked about using their allowance for a reservation they were more than happy to oblige. That was Sunday, FIVE LONG DAYS AGO. I am checking the site everyday looking for my invitation to configure. So again I ask: You’re waiting how long? I do not know what saint of patience you are mentored by but this will be the most brutal wait for a car I have endured. I bet I visit it at least once a month until I get mine. I hope you first day people all get invited soon!
Most of us have been waiting almost two years.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
And some of us will end up having waited for three or more... ;)

So, 5 days..?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I know. I just don’t know how you have stayed so positive. It is really quite inspiring to see others love Tesla as much as I do. I believe I have been waiting as long as others for a Tesla but my wait was financial hoping for a Model S. Now it is a production wait. Either way it is brutal.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How long have I waited, Oh let me count the days.....uh months.....no, years.....well actually, to be honest, I'm well over a decade! As I've said on here before I've been waiting for this car since before Tesla produced the very first roadster back in 2006. When I first read about this new company and it's plans to make electric cars with long range and no compromises to ICE vehicles I was hooked! Back then I was positive it would turn out to be vaporware and go bankrupt before a single car rolled off the line. Since then I've been reading ever scrap of news, every day and I just can't get enough. It's more of an unhealthy addiction at this point! As soon as test drives were available in a Model S I took one, even though I knew I'd never be able to afford one. Same with the Model X and I've been waiting on the Model 3 since before the Model 3 was ever a thing.

This board, it's wonderful moderators and all the super friendly people here only serve to feed my unhealthy addiction so thank you all for enabling me with my problem!:confused:;):D

If you've only just caught the Tesla bug and it's been the longest 5 days of your life, well, all I can say is hold on, it'll be quite a ride! Oh, and welcome to the madness......

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Well, first off, when you have such a fantastic product waiting for you at the end of the tunnel, it makes the wait significantly easier!

I am going to say something that in no way is a reflection on the original poster so please don't take this as any kind of attack. It is not intended as such. Having said that, does it bother anyone else that a non owner, non employee, that has a family member with a Tesla that just reserved will probably get their Model 3 before those that have been waiting two years or more? I know this has been talked about before ad nauseum but it just doesn't seem right.

Ok, sour grapes asside, CONGRATS! I'm sure you're going to love the car.

Dan

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
does it bother anyone else that a non owner, non employee, that has a family member with a Tesla that just reserved will probably get their Model 3 before those that have been waiting two years or more?
I'm not so sure. I think there was recently a cut off of the owner-to-the-head-of-the-line priority. I'm sure owners still get priority, but I wouldn't bet on any particular owner going ahead of any particular line waiter. The process seems increasingly random....but that's because I can't see inside Tesla's black box reservation-ordering-VIN assignment-delivery system.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, first off, when you have such a fantastic product waiting for you at the end of the tunnel, it makes the wait significantly easier!

I am going to say something that in no way is a reflection on the original poster so please don't take this as any kind of attack. It is not intended as such. Having said that, does it bother anyone else that a non owner, non employee, that has a family member with a Tesla that just reserved will probably get their Model 3 before those that have been waiting two years or more? I know this has been talked about before ad nauseum but it just doesn't seem right.

Ok, sour grapes asside, CONGRATS! I'm sure you're going to love the car.

Dan
Okay, well, please don't take this as any kind of attack against @Dan Detweiler because it isn't. This is just my personal view and a bit of a counterpoint to the "Line cutting is not fair" thought. I totally get that people feel slighted by someone else getting there car first and yes, I really, really want mine as well. However I look at it this way, we have all been so conditioned, from childhood, that the RIGHT way to do things is to "wait your turn", "don't cut the line", etc. that we can't even begin to think outside of the box and go along with a system that doesn't work the way we have been programmed to believe in. Tesla was very up front with the fact (as far as I'm concerned) that this was not a "line" and that they would deliver cars "out of order". Do I agree, well, I guess it really doesn't matter. Could they of communicated more clearly, well, yes. I think many people got upset when they felt that Tesla changed the rules based on what those people thought the rules should be. But the thing I love MOST about Tesla is that they don't follow any rules. If they did none of us would be getting our cars because they would of never built one. So, down to Dan's question above, does it bother me? Honestly if I had a way to get my car faster and game the system that Tesla has in place I'd do it in a heartbeat and not feel guilty at all. Why, because I'd be playing by the rules set by the company, not by what people think the rules should be. Is there a clearly laid out rulebook, No because as I said Tesla doesn't do rules. So, in the end it shouldn't bother me and for me it really doesn't. I'll get my car when my lucky golden ticket gets pulled from the Willy Wonka candy bar and that is that.

But then again I've always been a bit of an "out of the box" thinker, guess that is why I want this car.

Just my 2 cents worth and again, not to re-start this debate or beat a dead horse. Now please disregard this post and return to your normal program....LOL.

Last edited:

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Okay, well, please don't take this as any kind of attack against @Dan Detweiler because it isn't. This is just my personal view and a bit of a counterpoint to the "Line cutting in not fair" thought. I totally get that people feel slighted by someone else getting there car first and yes, I really, really want mine as well. However I look at it this way, we have all been so conditioned, from childhood, that the RIGHT way to do things is to "wait your turn", "don't cut the line", etc. that we can't even begin to think outside of the box and go along with a system that doesn't work the way we have been programmed to believe in. Tesla was very up front with the fact (as far as I'm concerned) that this was not a "line" and that they would deliver cars "out of order". Do I agree, well, I guess it really doesn't matter. Could they of communicated more clearly, well, yes. I think many people got upset when they felt that Tesla changed the rules based on what those people thought the rules should be. But the thing I love MOST about Tesla is that they don't follow any rules. If they did none of us would be getting our cars because they would of never built one. So, down to Dan's question above, does it bother me? Honestly if I had a way to get my car faster and game the system that Tesla has in place I'd do it in a heartbeat and not feel guilty at all. Why, because I'd be playing by the rules set by the company, not by what people think the rules should be. Is there a clearly laid out rulebook, No because as I said Tesla doesn't do rules. So, in the end it shouldn't bother me and for me it really doesn't. I'll get my car when my lucky golden ticket gets pulled from the Willy Wonka candy bar and that is that.

But then again I've always been a bit of an "out of the box" thinker, guess that is why I want this car.

Just my 2 cents worth and again, not to re-start this debate or beat a dead horse. Now please disregard this post and return to your normal program....LOL.
Good points all around. Just seems a bit odd to me. Perhaps if the order was coming from an actual owner instead of a family member it would make a difference...perhaps not. I don't know.

Heck as long as they keep dropping bombs like the latest autopilot update I'm good! LOL!

Dan

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good points all around. Just seems a bit odd to me. Perhaps if the order was coming from an actual owner instead of a family member it would make a difference...perhaps not. I don't know.

Heck as long as they keep dropping bombs like the latest autopilot update I'm good! LOL!

Dan
Couldn't agree more!!

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I totally agree with Mike, because like he said, if someone in my family was an existing owner, I for sure would have used that card! but also, to Dan's point, at the same time wish Tesla would have used some sort of buffer on the owner priority. So day 1 reservation is moved to a family member's account and they get invited immediately - fantastic! it shaved a month or two off their wait. But a brand new reservation coming forward 2 years is a bit of a sting.

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But a brand new reservation coming forward 2 years is a bit of a sting.
I agree - and I'm one of these people who got theirs through a family member (but I got in line at 6:30am on March 31st, 2016 with my father who was an owner and we waited together). I think owners should get priority but not jump ahead across two years of people who have been waiting. Especially since it's not just getting the car sooner that's a concern but also getting the full tax credit. I wish Tesla had come up with an improved system that felt more "fair" to everyone involved.

As far as how long to wait... I would say the car is amazing, production is ramping - Bloomberg says 8300 cars or something like that... which is a huge ramp up from the hundreds that they'd produced around Christmas. If they hit 2500/wk soon, the waiting queue will start to move forward a lot faster, particularly since I don't think all of those reservations will result in actual car sales. I think a lot of people will defer for AWD, SR, or the white interior. The thing that I tell people - and I optimistically believe it to be true - is that everyone in the US who waited in line or ordered in 2016 who wants a Model 3 will have theirs before the end of the year, and I think that most everyone who wants one will have one by next summer - ignoring the drive-left versions which might be later than that.

Last edited:

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I totally agree with Mike, because like he said, if someone in my family was an existing owner, I for sure would have used that card! but also, to Dan's point, at the same time wish Tesla would have used some sort of buffer on the owner priority. So day 1 reservation is moved to a family member's account and they get invited immediately - fantastic! it shaved a month or two off their wait. But a brand new reservation coming forward 2 years is a bit of a sting.
Awe, thanks @MelindaV, :) it's not often someone totally agrees with me.......and then goes on to complement my nemesis in a way that completely destroys my recently acquired sense of self worth....LOL.....:p

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I agree - and I'm one of these people who got theirs through a family member (but I got in line at 6:30am on March 31st, 2016 with my father who was an owner and we waited together). I think owners should get priority but not jump ahead across two years of people who have been waiting. Especially since it's not just getting the car sooner that's a concern but also getting the full tax credit. I wish Tesla had come of with an improved system that felt more "fair" to everyone involved.
Bottom line regarding the tax credit...

Whoever the first delivery is after the full tax credit is phased out is going to cry foul. regardless of the circumstance. I don't think there really is a good way of doing it. The only way that matters is what Tesla has decided to do. It will be interesting to see how Nissan and GM handle the same situation. Shouldn't be that far down the road for both.

Dan

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Awe, thanks @MelindaV, :) it's not often someone totally agrees with me.......and then goes on to complement my nemesis in a way that completely destroys my recently acquired sense of self worth....LOL.....:p
Nemesis?!
Now I'm a nemesis?

Hey maybe I should get a license plate with that on it. Pretty cool!

Dan

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Bottom line regarding the tax credit...

Whoever the first delivery is after the full tax credit is phased out is going to cry foul. regardless of the circumstance. I don't think there really is a good way of doing it. The only way that matters is what Tesla has decided to do. It will be interesting to see how Nissan and GM handle the same situation. Shouldn't be that far down the road for both.

Dan

That is a really good points and I hadn't considered the tax credit implications. Back in 2016 I drove 2 hours to stand in line specifically thinking about the tax credit. At that time there was no way I thought I'd ever be able to afford the car, it was more just wishful thinking because I was freshly divorced and had more debt than ever. In a way the timing of all of this couldn't of been more perfect for me but for those who might loose out on the credit that would really be bad.