Yolandi: garsh's Performance Model 3

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

JWardell

TOO Master Member
TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've seen some reports that the "magnet" includes some kind of sensor that communicates with the charging wand. My service center calls BS on this. They say the magnet is simply a magnet. I have no clue who's right. I will say that manually opening and closing will likely accelerate the failure, but it appears that at least in @garsh's case failure acceleration is not an issue! I'd open it manually if I needed a charge and leave it alone if I could wait for the Technician.

It's a magnet. The charge port door likely fails because like all outdoor exposed DC electric motors, debris eventually gets into the motor and it seizes. Maybe there's a new version of it that reduces the amount of debris that gets in - I'd like to know if people who had their charge port motor replaced early on don't have this issue.

The motor is enclosed and well sealed. It's not due to debris getting in. It's not seizing, it just refuses to work electrically.
I was told it's extremely common in older 3s and they will all probably fail.

As for the magnet on the door, it is just a magnet. The sensor inside the chargeport senses that magnet's distance, and can tell if you are pushing in on the door.

The charging wand communicates digitally by 315MHz radio, nothing to do with the motor or magnet. (And the button in the wand is prone to water ingress and failure)

Yeah, there are a lot of different things that can fail :)

JasonF

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The motor is enclosed and well sealed. It's not due to debris getting in. It's not seizing, it just refuses to work electrically.
I was told it's extremely common in older 3s and they will all probably fail.

Small DC motors don't usually fail all by themselves, usually there's some kind of contamination or damage or something. Especially when they're not really used all that much. Unless the issue is that they're always energized, holding the door closed? Then it would eventually overheat and break one of its internal connections.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Small DC motors don't usually fail all by themselves
Agree. The motor itself is fine. If I force the door open, then it works for a little while before it gets back into this state where it refuses to open again. So this is more likely a fault in a sensor or the control electronics.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Lots of early Model 3s had Charge port issues, had mine replaced within a few months of delivery.

Lately, Middie's Power Converter is an issue (limited to 32A on a 48A Wall Connector). Middy charges just fine.

I have a service appt scheduled just to see the estimate to fix it. Out of warranty. Car still supercharges as I'm thinking the Power Converter is only needed for AC.

About us

• Tesla Owners Online © 2015-2021. All rights reserved.
    Tesla Owners Online (TOO) is an enthusiast forum and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors or Official Tesla Owners Clubs.
    All Tesla logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors.