EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

What are your thoughts about the Model S/X new Yoke Steering Wheel

• Total voters

tlr1000

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

Forward to about 5:40 mark. Obviously most of us aren't out drifting our cars but you can see clearly that controlling the car is compromised which is not something I'd want for looking cool and having a better view of my air vents.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The yoke sucks,
The central display of everything sucks,
Having no knobs sucks,
Having no keys suck
and so on

Until you ask someone who has driven a Tesla for more than a few minutes, in which case they become the best features ever created.

"Professional" reviewers or drivers or pretty notorious for this, because they drive so many vehicles that they can't spend enough time to get used the Tesla paradigm. If the speedometer isn't in the exact right place, then they get lost.

• Agree
Reactions: Mike

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Forward to about 5:40 mark. Obviously most of us aren't out drifting our cars but you can see clearly that controlling the car is compromised which is not something I'd want for looking cool and having a better view of my air vents.
I'm guessing that someone will probably create a wheel extender for those situations where you think you need the remainder of the wheel, pretty simple add-on. A lot easier than sawing off a wheel.

TheMagician

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Two weeks with my brothers new long range, I can truly say I hate the yoke along with several other features. I have a Model 3 and they took away everything good EXCEPT for an insane amount of acceleration. It literally puts my eyeballs in the back of my head, can’t imagine a Plaid.

The yoke is cool for about 5 minutes until you try and make a u-turn with oncoming traffic. Trying to let the yoke slip back through your hands and it literally disappears at times. You’re left holding air. And don’t get me started on the controls. Asinine. Perfectly good hub in the middle of the yoke and it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (yes, I know it holds the airbag but I’m ranting right now). You have to look down to find the ONE horn button, Tesla couldn’t even be bothered to put it on both sides. Good luck finding it when someone starts to cut over on you in traffic. I see lots of fender benders that could have been avoided.

And removing the shift lever is a pain in the butt. After dozens of drives, the car has not automatically shifted into the correct gear except when backing out of the garage. I have to lean over and swipe the screen into R or D every time.

Even the turn signals are the biggest crock of sh%t. My left hand resting on the yoke activates them. It’s about the only time they’re activated because I can never find them in time when I need them (I religiously use my signals). When a Model S cuts you off in traffic without signaling, don’t be mad. Elon made it impossible to use them correctly.

One saving grace is that the aftermarket will come out with standard wheels. Dont know if it’s already been mentioned (I didn’t read every post) but T-Sportline is modifying a yoke to have a top portion similar to the bottom. It will be a rectangle so it’s not perfect but better than the yoke. Supposed to ready in 3 weeks or so. Only problem is that you’ll still be stuck with the same stupid controls which will remain…..stupid!

I love almost everything Elon is doing but not offering a standard wheel/controls has to be one of his dumbest decisions and almost ruins what could be a truly incredible vehicle. Right now the yoke is mostly in the hands of diehard fans and enthusiasts. Can’t wait until all the soccer moms get behind the wheel (guess I should say yoke) of the X. Some of the videos should be epic.

Last edited:

Rush

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've been driving around and trying not to use the top of my steering wheel to simulate a yoke and I like it.... so I've ordered one from China. Looks very easy to install.
Yoke to soon be on my M3.PNG

SP's Tesla

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model Y
I've retrofitted a yoke on my Model 3 and after a few days I can say the adjustment wasn't very hard at all, especially if you're not a 10&2 type of driver.

The bottom line here is that there are 2 reasons and ONLY 2 reasons why you would do this:

1. It opens up the driver view a lot
2. It looks futuristic

Otherwise there are NO benefits to a yoke in terms of driving. We'll maybe a bit of extra comfort when on autopilot if you use your right or left hand on the bottom for the nag torque
See my thoughts here:

I think you convinced me to try this on my Y.

Could you please clarify which wheel you purchased (there are a lot of options on Aliexpress…)

Thanks, Trev!

Sean