Yellow Border on Touchscreen

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I received an email from Tesla a while back that they were aware of the yellowing borders and that they didn’t have fixed hardware yet.

Last month, Tesla informed me that they have screen replacements that resolve the yellowing border. My contact put in a service ticket for mine to be replaced and I will be contacted when my replacement part has arrived. I haven’t heard anything from them yet. This is fine since I’m not in any big hurry to fix a working touchscreen. I’m wondering if anyone here has been contacted to replace their yellowing touchscreen or has had theirs replaced?

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have not heard of this issue on a 3. It is a common problem on the S and X. Please keep us updated. Could you take pics or document the yellow border issue?

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Have not heard of this issue on a 3. It is a common problem on the S and X. Please keep us updated. Could you take pics or document the yellow border issue?
In case you missed it, this is posted under the Model S section.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I received an email from Tesla a while back that they were aware of the yellowing borders and that they didn’t have fixed hardware yet.

Last month, Tesla informed me that they have screen replacements that resolve the yellowing border. My contact put in a service ticket for mine to be replaced and I will be contacted when my replacement part has arrived. I haven’t heard anything from them yet. This is fine since I’m not in any big hurry to fix a working touchscreen. I’m wondering if anyone here has been contacted to replace their yellowing touchscreen or has had theirs replaced?
My wife's Model S had this... it was just a faint discoloring all around the entire perimeter of the screen. Didn't affect functionality at all but it was very noticeable and we didn't know if it meant it was going bad or not, so we called and they said they'd replace it. We unfortunately ended up getting another bad screen installed and had to have it replaced once more. The second time was an oddity though and not related to the color issue - there was some areas of the screen that didn't respond to touches.

If I remember right, I did a google search on the screen yellow border issue and found a good amount of posts on it on the Tesla forum and TMC. It seems it was a common enough issue.

My recommendation is to take it in though, don't let a Ranger perform this replacement. The ranger we had was a good guy and all, but this was more than a one man job... he had parts all over the garage and we ended up with something loose in the dash area that will occasionally move around on sharp turns. We also wondered if he forgot to plug in all the necessary cables, causing the unresponsive area on the replacement screen. Our second replacement was done at the service center, they claimed they looked for whatever was loose but "didn't find it." My wife is still having some screen issues... I've written to Tesla and had no response. I was even pretty blunt and honest when I got their email asking "how was your service?" which I would have thought they'd want to follow up... nope.

My wife has said that had she known all of this, she would have just lived with the yellow border.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
In case you missed it, this is posted under the Model S section.
I completely missed the forum. Knowing what we do about this problem, that should have been my clue to look at the section. I'm glad we have some S discussion here.

Back to the yellow border, this is a very common item and they are typically replaced. Tesla is not the best at follow up. Do as noted by @Lovesword, stop by and show them your issue and schedule a time then to drop it off to have it replaced. If you wait on Tesla to contact you it could be a while.

Last edited:
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

my advice is that in situations like this you need to be a bit proactive about reminding them of their promises and obligations. if you sit back and wait for them, you could find yourself waiting a long time.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
My wife's Model S had this... it was just a faint discoloring all around the entire perimeter of the screen. Didn't affect functionality at all but it was very noticeable and we didn't know if it meant it was going bad or not, so we called and they said they'd replace it. We unfortunately ended up getting another bad screen installed and had to have it replaced once more. The second time was an oddity though and not related to the color issue - there was some areas of the screen that didn't respond to touches.

If I remember right, I did a google search on the screen yellow border issue and found a good amount of posts on it on the Tesla forum and TMC. It seems it was a common enough issue.

My recommendation is to take it in though, don't let a Ranger perform this replacement. The ranger we had was a good guy and all, but this was more than a one man job... he had parts all over the garage and we ended up with something loose in the dash area that will occasionally move around on sharp turns. We also wondered if he forgot to plug in all the necessary cables, causing the unresponsive area on the replacement screen. Our second replacement was done at the service center, they claimed they looked for whatever was loose but "didn't find it." My wife is still having some screen issues... I've written to Tesla and had no response. I was even pretty blunt and honest when I got their email asking "how was your service?" which I would have thought they'd want to follow up... nope.

My wife has said that had she known all of this, she would have just lived with the yellow border.
Thanks Lovesword. I was going to go with the Ranger because I live 5 hours away from a Service Center. With your information, I'll consider making a trip to the Service Center. There are times I think like your wife. Maybe it's best left alone.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I completely missed the forum. Knowing what we do about this problem, that should have been my clue to look at the section. I'm glad we have some S discussion here.

Back to the yellow border, this is a very common item and they are typically replaced. Tesla is not the best at follow up. Do as noted by @Lovesword, stop by and show them your issue and schedule a time then to drop it off to have it replaced. If you wait on Tesla to contact you it could be a while.
I'm 5 hours away from the closest Service Center so I really don't want to do that. I'll probably have to follow @kort6776 advice and be proactive.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Super late update. I received the UV treatment on my main touchscreen and was the first to receive a fabricated solution, by the service center, to UV treat the instrument cluster. Huge improvement! I’m happy they didn’t have to replace any parts and resolve the yellow borders on both screens. Been yellow border free for a month now and happy with the Tesla service centers work. They are awesome!