X-Ray of the Key Card for Hole Punching

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took one of my Model 3 key cards to the factory today and had the techs x-ray it to locate the delicate bits that should be avoided should someone to want to punch a hole for a valet key chain or hook.

The field of view of the x-ray is limited (it's for chips), but here's a set of images that should help. Keep in mind that the antenna coils may move around a bit. You don't want to nick one, so I've added a green area in the third image where I'm advising a 2x "T" margin, as measured by the "T" in the logo, as well as using the "S" to keep clear of the top right where the chip connects to the antenna leads.

I should add: I'm not saying punching a hole in your card is the best way to hand it to a valet (there are pouches). I'm just saying IF YOU DO (or if like me you just wanted to know), here's what to keep in mind.

Last edited:

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry for not quite grokking your images, but is the green in the bottom shot your addition - showing the "safe area" to punch through, or is that part of the card's internals too?

Brett

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The image links are broken for me though, any chance you can try re-uploading them?
Sorry, the images were blocked by my work's firewall. I just didn't recognize it at first because I don't normally get the broken link icons. I can see them correctly now.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry for not quite grokking your images, but is the green in the bottom shot your addition - showing the "safe area" to punch through, or is that part of the card's internals too?
I added the green area in the final picture to indicate a safe area.

I should have explained it a little more. As you look at the card, mentally indent "two Ts" from each edge, and then also use the "S" to avoid the entire top right corner where the chip and leads connect. Hope that makes sense.

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of the things that really bugs me about these cards is the fact that they have the Tesla logo on them - meaning that someone who pinches my wallet knows immediately that (s)he has a Tesla keycard and can start looking around for a Model 3 to try it against.

I really WISH Telsa would make a fake "gas card" keycard - one that looks exactly like a gas credit card, but with a bogus number on it. Then the thief could try it at Mobil all day long for all I care - while I disable the key from my car. Bonus points for coordinating the number with Mobil so that if it's ever used, it can be immediately reported to the cops as "stolen property".

I've got half a mind to take an X-Acto knife to the entire middle of the card, where the logo is. A really BIG keychain loop... :)

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of the things that really bugs me about these cards is the fact that they have the Tesla logo on them - meaning that someone who pinches my wallet knows immediately that (s)he has a Tesla keycard and can start looking around for a Model 3 to try it against.

I really WISH Telsa would make a fake "gas card" keycard - one that looks exactly like a gas credit card, but with a bogus number on it. Then the thief could try it at Mobil all day long for all I care - while I disable the key from my car. Bonus points for coordinating the number with Mobil so that if it's ever used, it can be immediately reported to the cops as "stolen property".

I've got half a mind to take an X-Acto knife to the entire middle of the card, where the logo is. A really BIG keychain loop... :)
How is this any different than every physical car key imprinted with the car brand?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You could sand the logo flat and laminate a library card to it.
Ain't nobody want your library card.

Or better yet, photocopy both sides of your medical insurance card, and cover both sides of the card. That way, you're not carrying an extra card.

Be kinda weird to hand either of those to a valet, but they would remember who you are at least.

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I realize this may be off topic but, considering this is about the cars and making it both useful and hidden, thought this was the best place.

Watching a video where somebody had the phone and card together a lot got me thinking about hotel key cards and how phones will cause them to lose their programming (or whatever). Does anybody know if these cards have a volatile memory (or whatever causes that) which might result in the same failure if kept in close contact with a cell phone?

I probably won't keep them together and I'm guessing Tesla never intended them to be together since they are each other's back ups but I know it will happen.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Watching a video where somebody had the phone and card together a lot got me thinking about hotel key cards and how phones will cause them to lose their programming (or whatever). Does anybody know if these cards have a volatile memory (or whatever causes that) which might result in the same failure if kept in close contact with a cell phone?
I don't know for sure, but my guess is "no".

A hotel has a big pile of keycards. They just grab one from the top of the pile, program it for your room, and hand it to you.

For the Model 3, it sounds like the car is programmed to accept various keys. So there should be no need for anything volatile in the keycards themselves.

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How is this any different than every physical car key imprinted with the car brand?
As I stated it, probably no different. But if somebody steals my wallet, they now have my home address (from my driver's license) AND the keys to my car. Usually that doesn't happen with a physical key or keyfob - they'll either get the key OR the wallet.