WSJ: Tesla Making Model 3s by Hand

Thomas Mikl

Country
Country
OMG analysts are like Jon Snow and know nothing...

Any car factory in the world has manual tasks that are done by real people. In most cases it is not the fully automated tasks that have bottlenecks and cars are not built "by hand". This is total BS.
In most cases it is either:
A. Some fully automated task (e.g. door welding) has minor imperfections that need to be touched up (e.g. hand weld over the point weld)
B. A manual task that has automated in place parts (e.g. final door install which is always done by hand) takes too long and needs to be optimised for the ramp up of line speed

Also what people do not get is that THIS IS THE CASE WITH ALL CARS. It is just Tesla is very open about things and lets you pre-order stuff. Usually car makers like Porsche say the new Cayenne will be available in "Fall" when they are already at the stage that Tesla is and producing cars that they told their dealers that they have to take and sell or they loose the valuable Porsche deal. And not only luxury brands, VW, Mazda,... they all do it like this. They screw their dealer network to deal with stuff like that. When that time is passed you wait 6 months on your production car and you the valuable customer are lucky to be on the 5-6 months waiting list if you do not take a car that is ready inventory at a dealer.
In my experience Tesla is doing an outstanding job with the Model 3, as my prediction for the stage they are in would have been January to March 2018 if you had asked me 3 months ago and that would have still been cool and optimistic.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Shorters gotta short. ;)

Really, they just have no clue how Tesla keeps "winning", and are trying to find any sign that this "overpriced nobody" will finally go away and leave the field to the "real" automakers.

Their reaction to Tesla's arrival on the scene is reminiscent of Emperor Palpatine's reaction to the news that the first Death Star was destroyed: "What do you mean 'They blew up the Death Star'?! Who the hell is 'They'?! What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?!"

Last edited:

Idur

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Shorters gotta short. ;)

Really, they just have no clue how Tesla keeps "winning", and are trying to find any sign that this "overpriced nobody" will finally go away and leave the field to the "real" automakers.

Their reaction to Tesla's arrival on the scene is reminiscent of Emperor Palpatine's reaction to the news that the first Death Star was destroyed: "What do you mean 'They blew up the Death Star'?! Who the hell is 'They'?! What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?!"
Given any other company, the shorters are making a safe bet. The only thing Tesla has going for them is a group of fanboi (us) who will buy any junk bond or extra stock just so they (we) can eventually get their (our) electric car.

This production ramp is crazy capital intensive, and any lesser company would fail at what Tesla tries to do. There is a reason their original production plan culminated in 2020 rather than 2018.

Just saying the naysayers are not crazy, only wrong.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given any other company, the shorters are making a safe bet. The only thing Tesla has going for them is a group of fanboi (us) who will buy any junk bond or extra stock just so they (we) can eventually get their (our) electric car.
Shorts are making a safe bet? I’d say they a making a huge gamble that I am sure many have been burned on already.

As for “fanbois” buying the stock, I am going to say most every owner and tesla advocate out there that has bought $TSLA has made money. I picked up a few shares over the last two years as a way to make a little on it while waiting for delivery, not specifically to “help out Tesla” with my piddly stock purchase but to take advantage of it. So far my shares are up 54%.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given any other company, the shorters are making a safe bet.
I've learned one thing about the stock market:

There's no making sense of it.

Stock prices generally don't reflect the value of the company. It only matches the price that a *few* owners are willing to sell at, and have found a *few* buyers willing to purchase at that same price. The majority of "owners" hold onto the stock because they see the price as too low. The majority of "potential buyers" don't purchase the stock because they see the price as too high. Basically, a very small percentage of people who are interested in the stock are deciding what the current price will be.

That's insanity. :)