WSJ: Tesla Making Model 3s by Hand

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fremont has the production line installed, I saw it, but sections are most likely aren’t fully live yet or some of them need a lot of manual labour until they’re brought online.

Also, some parts on the early Model 3 first production cars delivered to employees had to have parts swapped out because of defects. That’s not a big deal, happens all the time.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Elon's tweet does seem to suggest this may be the case, but it doesn't really make sense. The configurator shouldn't be hard to launch and it essentially starts with do you want first production? No, then we'll get back to you later. Yes, ... pick your color, pick your rims, select EAP, FSD, and move on.

Of course so simple the configurator truly isn't necessary, but it still doesn't seem the issue would be the configurator being ready in time.
there were screenshots released of the configurator for employees. granted, that may have been an internal link for them, but the CSS, DB calls, etc have already been built. would just need to move them to a webhead/turn on IIS.

So, no, I don't think we'd all be doing this over the phone, especially CC numbers, etc. that's ripe for fraud.

UncleT

Country
Country
If they're making the same cars like they are for employees then you literally have only colour and wheel choice. That can be done over the phone or email.
But we know employees have been using the configurator. To me, this is just Elon saying "don't nit-pick my answers".

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But we know employees have been using the configurator. To me, this is just Elon saying "don't nit-pick my answers".
I’m sure Elon is frustrated by the lack of ability to clarify over his preferred medium (Twitter) with a 140 character limit. Besides, he also can’t divulge too much information due to their nature of keeping things secret.

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
"I’m sure Elon is frustrated by the lack of ability to clarify". Should have stopped right there. Elon strikes me as the type who would love to say exactly what the bottlenecks are, and what they're doing to eliminate them, and be able to do it in three sentences apiece.
But he's been a CEO long enough to know that's seldom the right course of action.

Rick59

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
there were screenshots released of the configurator for employees. granted, that may have been an internal link for them, but the CSS, DB calls, etc have already been built. would just need to move them to a webhead/turn on IIS.

So, no, I don't think we'd all be doing this over the phone, especially CC numbers, etc. that's ripe for fraud.
Can you translate from Klingon to regular English?

oey192

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Can you translate from Klingon to regular English?
CSS = styling for the webpage
DB = database, where all the data entered by customers would be stored
webhead/IIS = web server(s) that regular scrubs can access to view the webpage (configurator)

Last edited:

Frank99

Model 3 owner since May 3, 2018
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Employee configurator provided no options other than wheels, color, and software configuration (and, "Not now, please hold my place in line"). Seems like exactly what you'd provide to the initial non-employees - and it's already been beta-tested.

Country
Country
Update, 6:30 p.m.: A Tesla spokesperson sent along a statement to Jalopnik:

'This reporting is fundamentally wrong and misleading. We are still in the beginning of our production ramp, but every Model 3 is being built on the Model 3 production line, which is fully installed, powered on, producing vehicles, and increasing in automation every day. However, every vehicle manufacturing line in the world has both manual and automated processes, including the Model S and Model X line today. Contrary to the Journal’s reporting, this is not some revelation. As we’ve always acknowledged, it will take time to fine-tune the line for higher volumes, but as we have also said, there are no fundamental issues with Model 3 production or its supply chain, and we are confident in addressing the manufacturing bottleneck issues in the near-term. We are simply working through the S-curve of production that we drew out for the world to see at our launch event in July. There’s a reason it’s called production hell.'

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-production-is-jammed-up-because-parts-are-1819197180

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I take bottleneck to mean unexpected changes that are slowing down the production line, not necessarily a problem in the assembly process. We already know that they've discovered items like grounding bolts that are easy to fix. Other things like a redesign of headlight and taillight housings that leak in condensation and whatever was wrong with the seats take time to redesign and then take time for the subcontractors to retool and produce. If they have vehicles that are built and waiting for seats and headlights, they aren't considered finished and don't count towards the production count.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Update, 6:30 p.m.: A Tesla spokesperson sent along a statement to Jalopnik:

'This reporting is fundamentally wrong and misleading. We are still in the beginning of our production ramp, but every Model 3 is being built on the Model 3 production line, which is fully installed, powered on, producing vehicles, and increasing in automation every day. However, every vehicle manufacturing line in the world has both manual and automated processes, including the Model S and Model X line today. Contrary to the Journal’s reporting, this is not some revelation. As we’ve always acknowledged, it will take time to fine-tune the line for higher volumes, but as we have also said, there are no fundamental issues with Model 3 production or its supply chain, and we are confident in addressing the manufacturing bottleneck issues in the near-term. We are simply working through the S-curve of production that we drew out for the world to see at our launch event in July. There’s a reason it’s called production hell.'

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-production-is-jammed-up-because-parts-are-1819197180
and by "spokesperson", Elon. Unless he has trained someone to write in his precise style, I would bet this was his own work.

VATesla4Me

Country
Country
I certainly hope it is more a robot segment needing fine tuning to reduce manufacturing tweaks per M3 versus redesign of component parts. If it is a redesign this would likely be a bigger issue time wise. Yes they could store up some number of cars for these final pieces, but I suspect there is limited space for this and pre-producing in this manner would incure costs. So as nice as it would be to think of large numbers of vehicles awaiting some final fix/ tooling to release, It seems unlikely to me. Either way we are still in the beginning of the S curve and it seems it is taking longer to resolve items than hoped/ planned. I hope it is resolved quickly to allow for good news on ramp and provide push back on the wsj and SA articles, while starting the necessary foundation for Tesla to drive revenue and resolve potential cash flow issues. They do make a great product and have used some innovative approaches to collect data to provide analysis to drive/ support decisions.