Wrapped center console in matte gray vinyl myself

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I scratched my brand new Model 3's glossy piano black console the other day with - of all things - the edge of the clip of my badge from work and after a suitable time freaking out - I decided to wrap the console to prevent future damage, get rid of the finger prints on it and to cover up the scratch that freaked me out.

I have zero experience wrapping stuff, but I am good at watching Youtube videos telling me how to wrap stuff.

I wanted to do it in Xpel stealth (I still kind of want to do it in Xpel stealth) but I opted for vinyl because they sell it on Amazon and I love Amazon Prime.

I bought this stuff:

The vinyl is great stuff, but the tool kit seemed overpriced for what it is and maybe an Xacto knife would be better. I give the vinyl 5 stars and the kit 3-4 stars. :)

It took me about an hour - I didn't exactly time myself, but I did listen to an hour long podcast and I finished soon after it ended. It was not particularly hard, you cut the pieces to be roughly sized, peel off the backing, line up one edge with an edge that you want to align to, lay it down carefully by holding it up with one hand and pushing it down with the other while trying to avoid air bubbles, and then the hard bit is cutting the edges without slicing the car or making jagged edges (take your time), then I took a needle to the few holes that remained and poked a super small hole and pushed those down. About the only problems that I had was that I trapped a hair underneath and had to redo that spot, and I originally tried to fold down the edges down the sides, but then the doors didn't close smoothly because the gap is super small on the sides so then I trimmed those folds back and that solves that issue.

The results look amazing if I do say so myself. I am super thrilled and actually think it looks better than it did originally. It's hard to leave fingerprints on it, it will be very hard to scratch it, and the color matches the elbow rest almost exactly. It absolutely does not look like a do-it-yourself vinyl wrap except for one tiny spot near one of the cupholders that no one would ever notice but I look at every time that I get in the car. :)

I highly recommend doing something like this to you guys - it's cheap, it's mostly easy, and your car will look great for a long time and if it doesn't then peel it back and replace it with something else. I do think it would be easier to do xpel stealth or ultimate because you could see what you are cutting because it's transparent.

IMG_0168.JPG

Not the greatest photo because it's dark in the garage right now... and I need to clean my cupholders.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is the camera playing tricks around the cup holders? It looks a bit jagged.

I’m definitely interested in doing this, but want it to look like the car came that way.

Last edited:

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is the camera playing tricks around the cup holders? It looks a bit jagged.

I’m definitely interested in doing this, but want it to look like the car came that way.
No, it's the camera. I left the glossy bit below the rim so you get this sort of reflection thing. There is one little spot where I trimmed back slightly too much, but it's not a jagged bit, it's more like "I can see more glossy than I should" bit. I'll update the photo when I get out there to take a shot with diffuse light. I took one this morning in direct sunlight and it looked weirder than the one last night in the darkened garage due to shadows and reflections from the chrome in the cupholders.

I will say that the cupholders are the trickiest place to trim - obviously - but you do have the visible edge to guide against - you press the vinyl down and you can see the indentation of the rim and you follow that with a super sharp knife and a steady hand. I trimmed to close to the edge in one spot but it doesn't look bad in real life. Definitely it looks good enough that I'm not going to redo it.

Last edited:

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've seen precut kits for this as well, I think from RPM Tesla, but they are priced way more than a roll of vinyl with plenty to mess up and redo it a few times.

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am gonna do this when I do the window tint. The guy I will probably use uses Xpel and he can custom fit with the clear. He is a perfectionist so it will look better than what I can do. That being said, I was thinking of having him wrap the entire car but the more I think about it, I cant justify the price. The wife thinks its crazy priced and not worth it, but wouldn't stop me from doing it. But as a value proposition, I think I am backing away from wrapping the car. ($3900)

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@PatrickM

How much material did you use for the center console? Did it take a full 5ftx1ft piece?
Reason for asking is I want to do the same and also cover the door and window buttons but not sure how much material to get.
If the center console takes up almost of the 5x1 then i'll get 2 rolls ;)

PatrickM

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@PatrickM

How much material did you use for the center console? Did it take a full 5ftx1ft piece?
Reason for asking is I want to do the same and also cover the door and window buttons but not sure how much material to get.
If the center console takes up almost of the 5x1 then i'll get 2 rolls ;)
I just needed one roll to do everything and I still have quite a bit left. There would be enough to do the door and window buttons with still extra left over.

Last edited: