Question Would you recommend buying Tesla extended warranty for a 2017 Tesla 70 with 49,000 miles? I need to make a decision right away & hoping for guidance

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

raklal

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Hi Fellow Tesla owners- based on your personal experience, would you recommend spending about $5000 for a 50,000 miles extended service? I drive close to 25000 miles a year, so this extended warranty will last me 2-21/2 years at most.

Zak

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Depends on how long your planing to keep the car. If you will trade the car in - lets say in 2020 for a lightly used 2019 100D then no don't get the warranty. If you plan to keep the car for 3-4 years then get it as it will cover some of that time and given how much you drive per year, upgrading to a newer used tesla every 3-4 years would be my advice.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Hi Fellow Tesla owners- based on your personal experience, would you recommend spending about $5000 for a 50,000 miles extended service? I drive close to 25000 miles a year, so this extended warranty will last me 2-21/2 years at most.
I would not. We chose against it for our 2017 100D X, and that was with us expecting half your annual mileage, such that it would have lasted us 4 years. For just 2 years of coverage, it’s an even easier No for me. I don’t think you are likely to encounter more than $5k of repairs in that time. There are also some copays that are due with any covered service.

raklal

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Depends on how long your planing to keep the car. If you will trade the car in - lets say in 2020 for a lightly used 2019 100D then no don't get the warranty. If you plan to keep the car for 3-4 years then get it as it will cover some of that time and given how much you drive per year, upgrading to a newer used tesla every 3-4 years would be my advice.
Thanks for your response. I plan to keep the car 4-5 years, which means getting the warranty at least twice based on my usage. On one one hand, the car has been very reliable and I don't want to spend 10,000 over that period. On the other hand, a repair for computer or electric related issues could be very high. Hence the confusion!

raklal

Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I would not. We chose against it for our 2017 100D X, and that was with us expecting half your annual mileage, such that it would have lasted us 4 years. For just 2 years of coverage, it’s an even easier No for me. I don’t think you are likely to encounter more than $5k of repairs in that time. There are also some copays that are due with any covered service.
Thank you for your response. I was told by some friends who own Tesla that I should get the extended warranty as parts/repairs are very expensive and no one besides Tesla could do it or supply parts to a third party.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Thank you for your response. I was told by some friends who own Tesla that I should get the extended warranty as parts/repairs are very expensive and no one besides Tesla could do it or supply parts to a third party.
It is true that repairs can be expensive and right now Tesla service centers have a monopoly. Still $5k, or if you were thinking of 2 rounds at $10k total, should be able to cover a number of things. One thing I’ve heard is that the MCU typically needs to be replaced, and that is over $3k. I personally would still rather hold onto the chunk of money that the plan costs and risk the potential for out of pocket repairs. The only way to know for sure the best choice is with the 20/20 hindsight vision after you’ve driven 50,000 miles.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The question is, what's the likelihood of you having a $5000+ failure that is not due to an accident? Accidents are of course covered by your car insurance.

The battery and drive units would probably be the most likely parts to cost that much if they fail. But for a Model S, the standard warranty covers both parts for 8 years with no mileage limit! So I wouldn't bother with the extended warranty.

References:
https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf