Would a new production line help?

jack bad

Country
Country
My question is why don't Tesla open up a NEW car manufacture plant?? That will definitely ease the production stress by ALOT.
  • I would open up 3 plants. That would fulfill all model 3 reservation orders in less than one year. Very easy
    The Fremont plant is way too stress out already

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My question is why don't Tesla open up a NEW car manufacture plant?? That will definitely ease the production stress by ALOT.

• I would open up 3 plants. That would fulfill all model 3 reservation orders in less than one year. Very easy
The problem isn't a lack of capacity. Right now, they're just trying to sort through any bugs & issues in the production line, and with outsourced parts.

3Victoria

They have already installed a Model 3 line at Fremont, and it will make the first cars. That includes using the existing paint centre. They are also building automated parts storage. I think the eventual plan was to duplicate the line to go from 500k to 1M cars a year. The duplication is cheaper than the initial set up and debugging. That step may be in a different location. At this point they are just trying to get all the line and parts to coordinate at higher speeds.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

and beyond the other comments, a entirely new factory is expensive. They got Nummi for cents on the dollar. That's not going to happen again.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I would expect additional factories abroad for sure, but as others have said -- massive capital outlay to do such a thing.

Dangermouse

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
and beyond the other comments, a entirely new factory is expensive. They got Nummi for cents on the dollar. That's not going to happen again.
I don't know, it might happen again. There should be a few empty Fiat/Chrysler plants available in a few years, thanks to their take on the future of electrification. :)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I seem to recall that Elon will be shifting M3 and future MY production to Gigafactory1 in Nevada which is nowhere near finished. He has already stated that plans for 3-4 future international gigafactories are underway. Planning and site searching for Gigafactory 1 became publicly known in late 2013 and the Nevada site was announced late 2014. Summer 2016, only 14% of the footprint was completed and construction isn’t expected to be finished until 2020. Clearly, building a Gigafactory will not be a fast process but eventually Gigafactory 1 is estimated to have the capacity to produce 1.5 million cars annually in addition to battery products and solar panels. More on Gigafactory 1 from Wikipedia.

I also seem to recall that California’s factory emissions laws are the limiting factor for Fremont capacity. They are only allowed to paint a certain number of cars per year there and will hit that cap before the factory can reach the maximum production capacity of the robotic assembly line.

3Victoria

I seem to recall that Elon will be shifting M3 and future MY production to Gigafactory1 in Nevada which is nowhere near finished. He has already stated that plans for 3-4 future international gigafactories are underway. Planning and site searching for Gigafactory 1 became publicly known in late 2013 and the Nevada site was announced late 2014. Summer 2016, only 14% of the footprint was completed and construction isn’t expected to be finished until 2020. Clearly, building a Gigafactory will not be a fast process but eventually Gigafactory 1 is estimated to have the capacity to produce 1.5 million cars annually in addition to battery products and solar panels. More on Gigafactory 1 from Wikipedia.

I also seem to recall that California’s factory emissions laws are the limiting factor for Fremont capacity. They are only allowed to paint a certain number of cars per year there and will hit that cap before the factory can reach the maximum production capacity of the robotic assembly line.
I think the plan was that future GF would include raw materials to cars, including battery construction. I do not think that the M3 line will move to Nevada GF, as they would want to avoid disruption to the M3 production. However, the second duplicated line, to ramp to 1M cars/year, might end up there. They had taken steps to mitigate the paint pollution emissions with better equipment and water based paints.

VATesla4Me

Country
Country
Yes, that was asserted, but I supect there is a fee associated with each registration of a batch of VINs, so I surmise that Tesla is registerating blocks of VINs before there are needed. There may be time contraints around ime to manufacture which prevents registering very large numbers of VINs. All speculation, still each block of VINs registered will be indication of progress.
Agreed there is likely a nominal fee per registration, but there is no need to get hasty and perform a large number of registrations especially given they are year specific and could be wasted. So I am optimistic, but cautiously so as it would seem there is movement but some bottleneck blocking complete production. If they needed to retool parts and define new specs to suppliers this easily results in a multi-week delay for supplier tooling and testing of new part integration which could explain current circumstances. Let us hope these resolve soon and we see a significant surge in production.

NoVADrew

omg I have a VIN
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

They are building Model 3 motors and gearboxes at the Gigafactory. The bit about the limitation of the paint shop was anti-Tesla hype spread by that Ed Niedermayer guy. He is generally clueless about what's going on but scours the web for any information he can, and then spins wild inferences from it to create a story for his auto blog. Tesla has said they have no paint shop limitations.