Worth it to order Full Self Driving before delivery?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Do you think getting this at order is worth it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
First-time poster long time reader, love the videos.

I am having a chat with a couple of my other friends that have also reserved a model 3 and we were all curious what is the point of getting this option now vs waiting until the car actually drives it self? besides the obvious 1k dollar cost savings. I am not finding out where this feature/option actually has additional features that the auto pilot it comes with has already.

Is there something I am missing from obsessing over this car like everyone else that I have just missed? If so please inform me so I can budget accordingly for my upcoming order.

Thanks in advance

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You aren't really missing anything, but there are 2 advantages to getting it now versus later...
  1. It may cost an extra $1,000 to activate later
  2. It's built into your financing (assuming you take an auto loan to pay for the car) where as later it's out of pocket

Gizmo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
You aren't really missing anything, but there are 2 advantages to getting it now versus later...
  1. It may cost an extra $1,000 to activate later
  2. It's built into your financing (assuming you take an auto loan to pay for the car) where as later it's out of pocket
However you may have ‘waisted’ $3,000 for an option that will not be available whilst you own the car... is there even an educated guesstimate when it may become available / legal to use?

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
according to this site it seems to be legal in a few states florida actually being one of them.

if anyone can tell me how to upload a link without it being blocked let me know

upload_2017-7-30_8-42-34-png.2533

You can check to see if the law applies to your state.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
if anyone can tell me how to upload a link without it being blocked let me know
New members are prohibited from posting links. After you've made a few posts, then you will be allowed to add links.

It's simple brain-dead anti-bot protection. But it filters out most of them.

RandyS

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Small thing, but it has made me think about these options. The DMV registration is calculated based on what you paid, so the registration will be more expensive forever based on adding $8K of auto pilot / self driving options...My insurance company also wanted to know the price I paid for the Model S P85, so I'm assuming that is somehow baked into my insurance costs as well...

But because they charge more for the options later, I'm not sure I can make it up in the DMV and insurance savings....

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In Florida registration is under $100 for pretty much anything but good point for San Diego.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
New members are prohibited from posting links. After you've made a few posts, then you will be allowed to add links.

It's simple brain-dead anti-bot protection. But it filters out most of them.
Ok so how long before I can post :)

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Autopilot remains a long way from the promises. Paying for this upfront is an interest free loan to Tesla for what will likely be years. It could possibly be a good investment to save the extra $1,000 later. But it may also not turn up before you're ready for your next car...

Country
Country
Elon Tweeted that Full Self Driving Capabilities will be available in August with Version 9.

I didn't originally order FSD, but I just went back and added it to my configuration.

Tesla had said that EAP uses 4 cameras, while FSD uses all 8. My theory is that one of the first features to be enabled in August is to show adjacent cars in the display, along with cars behind you. People are saying that with the latest AutoPilot update that was recently released, the car renderings are showing in other lanes, but only ahead. I think only FSD purchasers will see cars to the side and behind.

Based on Elon's tweet, is anyone else adding FSD?

https://electrek.co/2018/06/10/tesl...update-fully-self-driving-features-elon-musk/

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Elon Tweeted that Full Self Driving Capabilities will be available in August with Version 9.

I didn't originally order FSD, but I just went back and added it to my configuration.

Tesla had said that EAP uses 4 cameras, while FSD uses all 8. My theory is that one of the first features to be enabled in August is to show adjacent cars in the display, along with cars behind you. People are saying that with the latest AutoPilot update that was recently released, the car renderings are showing in other lanes, but only ahead. I think only FSD purchasers will see cars to the side and behind.

Based on Elon's tweet, is anyone else adding FSD?

https://electrek.co/2018/06/10/tesl...update-fully-self-driving-features-elon-musk/
Even if the feature goes live, I’m not convinced we are anywhere near close enough to “real” FSD. There are too many scenarios where it’s likely to fail.

I’ll gladly eat my words if I’m wrong, but I don’t think I am.

Country
Country
Even if the feature goes live, I’m not convinced we are anywhere near close enough to “real” FSD. There are too many scenarios where it’s likely to fail.

I’ll gladly eat my words if I’m wrong, but I don’t think I am.
I don't think FSD will be one massive update that suddenly enables level-5 autonomy. I think there will be features that will use the B-pillar and other cameras that will be part of FSD and not EAP. Just like EAP features are added over time, the same goes for FSD, and will only be rolled out to cars that paid for it.

Maybe things like blind-spot monitoring that extends beyond the ultrasonics and reacting to stop-signs on surface streets (where the extra cameras will be needed to see what the other cars are doing at a 4-way stop).

Just like AutoPilot, the driver will need to be supervising, but I do believe FSD features will slowly roll-out that driver's can use prior to level 5.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think FSD will be one massive update that suddenly enables level-5 autonomy. I think there will be features that will use the B-pillar and other cameras that will be part of FSD and not EAP. Just like EAP features are added over time, the same goes for FSD, and will only be rolled out to cars that paid for it.

Maybe things like blind-spot monitoring that extends beyond the ultrasonics and reacting to stop-signs on surface streets (where the extra cameras will be needed to see what the other cars are doing at a 4-way stop).

Just like AutoPilot, the driver will need to be supervising, but I do believe FSD features will slowly roll-out that driver's can use prior to level 5.
I can agree with that, but then I have trouble with the name “full self drive”. To me there can be no confusion with a name like that. People have a hard enough time as is with “autopilot”.

To me anything less than entering an address in the navigation and taking a nap in the back seat is not full self drive.

Joaquin

Country
Country
To me anything less than entering an address in the navigation and taking a nap in the back seat is not full self drive.
Entering an address? Are you from the past? Just say "Hey <car name>, take me home" ;)

More likely, he will already know where you want to go based on the time an location, so you will just need to say "ok I'm ready, let's go. Wake me up when we arrive." :D

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Entering an address? Are you from the past? Just say "Hey <car name>, take me home" ;)

More likely, he will already know where you want to go based on the time an location, so you will just need to say "ok I'm ready, let's go. Wake me up when we arrive." :D
Exactly. The description for Full Self Driving on Tesla's Autopilot page says just as much:

All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, your car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigating urban streets, complex intersections and freeways.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

You know what I meant :) — entering an address (however it’s entered) needs to take you to said address without fail for me to call it full self drive.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, that was enough to convince me to change my order to include FSD. :eek:

I mean, WTH, it's only money. Do I want a Performance Model 3 with FSD, or would I rather retire some day?
(I feel so stupid, yet so happy).