Worried about driving a flashy car

Country
Country
This is gonna sound ridiculous, but I'm worried about driving a "flashy" car like the M3. After driving a Corolla for 10yrs, I feel like I'm gonna miss driving inconspicuously. With the M3, I feel like I'm gonna start getting unwanted attention, and people turning heads. Even I'm worried my neighbors might think I'm some "big shot" guy, driving the latest rare Tesla. Also, I'm worried I'm gonna have to start caring and "babying" my car. I'm used to just driving around and not giving damn. Now I have to take care of my car, and obsess over every speck of dirt and scratch. Also, I'm guessing my insurance will definitely go up. So, how do I overcome this?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
maybe just treat it like the Corolla and not give a damn what your neighbors think.
if you don't want to wash it every other day, don't. you are in AZ. you probably could wash a car 2x a year and be fine, right? so do that.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This car isn’t going to be rare for long.

In my neck of the woods every other car seemingly already is a Tesla, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc.

It will blend in nicely.

Honestly none of the colors, outside of red scream look at me.

Country
Country
This is gonna sound ridiculous, but I'm worried about driving a "flashy" car like the M3. After driving a Corolla for 10yrs, I feel like I'm gonna miss driving inconspicuously. With the M3, I feel like I'm gonna start getting unwanted attention, and people turning heads. Even I'm worried my neighbors might think I'm some "big shot" guy, driving the latest rare Tesla. Also, I'm worried I'm gonna have to start caring and "babying" my car. I'm used to just driving around and not giving damn. Now I have to take care of my car, and obsess over every speck of dirt and scratch. Also, I'm guessing my insurance will definitely go up. So, how do I overcome this?
I can relate a little to this. 3 years ago I went from a 17 year-old Honda Civic to a new Mercedes C250 (entry level luxury car... like the Model 3). Before I drove the car home I remember having some fleeting thoughts like you describe. After driving the car home I soon realized that my "fears" were really groundless and that entry level luxury cars are pretty common now days even in some poorer neighborhoods. I was really the only one with an "issue" regarding the car and once I realized that, driving around in a Mercedes became normal to me very quickly. As far as "obsessing over every speck of dirt and scratch", I did that with every car I ever owned, at least for the first year or two. As for you, take care of the car in whatever way satisfies YOU.

Now about your insurance rate going up... well, that's just life!

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think i read recently that the Model 3 could be confused with an ICE car, maybe a Mazda 3 or some Dodge.
With the info on this Model 3 Owners Club, regarding wraps and Plasti Dip, just make some counterfeit badges, add an exhaust pipe, and maybe throw on a cheesy stripe or two. No one will confuse your ride with a nice car.

Badback

Valued Community Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Don't buy the car.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The S and X are such a common site...I am sure the 3 will be like that
Less so up here in Canada outside of Toronto and Vancouver. They still attract attention here driving or parked. I expect it will be the same for M3 possibly even more so given its price point. I have no issue spending a few minutes with interested people, time permitting of course. However I am retired :) :) :)

JeffinAZ

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
maybe just treat it like the Corolla and not give a damn what your neighbors think.
if you don't want to wash it every other day, don't. you are in AZ. you probably could wash a car 2x a year and be fine, right? so do that.
You are correct! I live in Scottsdale and only wash my polar silver Porsche twice a year. Have to do it by hand. It is so low to the ground that I cannot run it through a car wash...

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think i read recently that the Model 3 could be confused with an ICE car, maybe a Mazda 3 or some Dodge.
With the info on this Model 3 Owners Club, regarding wraps and Plasti Dip, just make some counterfeit badges, add an exhaust pipe, and maybe throw on a cheesy stripe or two. No one will confuse your ride with a nice car.
I guess the fact that the only badging on the Model 3 are the two Tesla logos (no brand name or battery size designation) may help it retain some anonymity or at least blend in better.

Petra

Country
Country
OP, do whatever you want with the car, it's your car. That said, as S and X owners can attest, don't buy a Tesla if you aren't okay with attracting some attention... especially if you live in an area with a low concentration of Teslas. Answering questions and/or interacting with other owners is the norm for me at most Supercharger stops while traveling, people occasionally ask questions in random parking lots, and it's understandable--people are curious. There are a lot of people waiting to see and/or buy the Model 3, so an early delivery will only amplify the attention.

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Also, I'm worried I'm gonna have to start caring and "babying" my car. I'm used to just driving around and not giving damn. Now I have to take care of my car, and obsess over every speck of dirt and scratch.
I think that's just par for the course with any new car, not just with a "flashy" car. When my gen 1 Prius was new, I used to wash it every weekend, touch up every rock ding, etc. and it's definitely NOT a flashy car. :)

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think that's just par for the course with any new car, not just with a "flashy" car. When my gen 1 Prius was new, I used to wash it every weekend, touch up every rock ding, etc. and it's definitely NOT a flashy car. :)
I would say when I was younger, I religiously washed my car every weekend and did a full detail a few times a year.

With my current car that slipped. A bigger reason for slippage though is just having a busy life right now with 2 little ones.

I have gotten myself back into the mindset of weekly washes though. Also with the no rinse wash it’s great because it’s fast and easy and I can do it any time of day with the car not coming out of the garage!

RCvetter

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had my Model 3 a little over a month now. I've been filmed while driving twice this past week, though I'm assuming both were Tesla fans excited about seeing the 3 in person.

I switched from an '03 Civic, so this is a big change for me. I am not a flashy person in the least, and I had very similar concerns about the new car - but the way I see it, we're all entitled to nice things.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I can relate a little to this. 3 years ago I went from a 17 year-old Honda Civic to a new Mercedes C250 (entry level luxury car... like the Model 3). Before I drove the car home I remember having some fleeting thoughts like you describe. After driving the car home I soon realized that my "fears" were really groundless and that entry level luxury cars are pretty common now days even in some poorer neighborhoods. I was really the only one with an "issue" regarding the car and once I realized that, driving around in a Mercedes became normal to me very quickly.
Although these cars are in the same class, its not a fair comparison. I get stopped all the time and asked about my Model S. I don't even notice people looking anymore because I tinted my windows and stopped making eye contact with people next to me at stop lights. The Model 3 will get a lot of attention, until its as common as a Civic. It's going to be a while before we get there.