Workplace Charging - who has it/how much does it cost?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

KLeong

Country
Country
Just curious - how many of you have workplace charging available for your Model 3? Workplace charging is essential, especially for those who don't have access to charging infrastructure at home. I live in a multi-dwelling unit and don't have the option of installing a dedicated EV charger, therefore I rely on charging at my workplace. Is there anyone else in a similar situation and how much does it cost you to charge at work?

JWM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of my friend has free workplace charging, however she complaints that because more and more coworkers getting EV, now everyone has to flight for the spot. People has to arrive very early in order to get charged, also when you fully charged and not moving your car, other coworkers who has EV will keep sending text ask you move, it could be very annoying when you are in the middle of something.

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most organizations make it free. They look at it as an employee perk and doing their thing for the environment.

Like JWM3, my neighbor works at a location that had 10 chargers and a liberal EV incentive program. They would fill up, so they added another 10, they still fill up.
In my travels around the country, there are a lot of companies that are adding chargers.

Park2670

Country
Country
At my location we have 14 plugs, most of them are full everyday. I have been slowly introducing the idea of 4 hour parking, or adding some 120v plugs since the cars are there for 8ish hours anyway.

Also let them know Tesla will provide the hardware for free if they want to install some Tesla Wall Connectors.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got 4 spots in front of my building and 4 spots in front of the building that is 1/2 a mile away. The ones in front of my building are $1.50 an hour vs the $0.75 an hour at the other building.

It isn't free, but it isn't to bad. The $0.75 an hour fills up daily, but the $1.50 an hour sits empty most days.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The place I'm contracting at has 4 charging spots for about 4000 or so people in one building. I've been watching and they are full most of the time. I think when it was introduced 3 or 4 years back they set up "resources" in the Outlook calendar and you were supposed to reserve the spot and move when your time limit was up. I don't know if they follow that plan still today or not. Doesn't matter to me - I don't feel it is a perk an employer should provide when maybe .00001 percent of the employee population can take advantage of it. I'm still against subsidizing anyone else's driving habits, whether at work or the stores I shop at. Someone is paying the cost for what very few get for free. There is a cost for transportation.

JWM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got 4 spots in front of my building and 4 spots in front of the building that is 1/2 a mile away. The ones in front of my building are $1.50 an hour vs the $0.75 an hour at the other building.

It isn't free, but it isn't to bad. The $0.75 an hour fills up daily, but the $1.50 an hour sits empty most days.
Most of public level 2 charger can draw around 7kwh max, so $1.5 per hour = $0.214 per kw and $0.75 per hour = $0.107 per kw.
Consider SCE EV rate is $0.11 during super off peak, $0.75 per hour is similar cost as charge at home.
However, some cars like Leaf and Volt only draws 3kwh max, then it will bring the charging cost a lot higher.

Last edited:

Park2670

Country
Country
We have two level 2 chargers and a bunch of standard outlets, free of charge.
This is what a majority of these should be. Either 3 kW charging, or 1kW. Nobody really needs to be plugged into 7kW all day. I see the point of having a few higher powered ones, but at work the car will be sitting for 8 hours anyway, may as well keep the cost and load low.

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I park by the access closet of my office. I use an extension cord in case I can’t park directly by it. It just has regular outlets. Originally with my previous electric car I was able to charge at 12 amps using a standard plug. I’d get 25 miles woorth of charge that way by the early afternoon which is enough to get me back home (I have a 50 mile round trip commute). Then my medical assistant saw the benefits of EV and bought himself a used EV. With both of us plugged in (one car at 8 amps and the other at 12 amps) it tripped the breaker that connects to my office’s network with routers and back up systems connected to it. IT got automatically alerted sent to the office from corporate and now has us plugged in on a non essential circuit. What sux is that since we are both on the same circuit the max we can go is 8 amps per car. It is still enough to get 20 to 25 miles by the end of the day... but at least they didn’t lock us out of the access closet. Now I need to convince corporate to let us install level 2 chargers.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Now I need to convince corporate to let us install level 2 chargers.
Given the cost of commercial Level 2 EVSEs, I think employees will get a lot more bang-for-the-buck by having the company install NEMA 5-15 or 5-20 outlets instead of Level 2 EVSEs. I bet you could get ten times as many outlets installed, and it will cost less. You'd still be able to add 40-50 miles to an EV during an 8-hour workday. And a lot more EV owners would be able to charge simultaneously.

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can plug in my UMC into the outlet at work and get 25 miles (the distance from home to office) so at least I can get half my commute taken care of.

But is it better for me to get a 2nd UMC and do this? Or just continue charging at home using my UMC on my 14-50 outlet during super off peak rate hours? (I’ve got my UMC permanently plugged in at home)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can plug in my UMC into the outlet at work and get 25 miles (the distance from home to office) so at least I can get half my commute taken care of.

But is it better for me to get a 2nd UMC and do this? Or just continue charging at home using my UMC on my 14-50 outlet during super off peak rate hours? (I’ve got my UMC permanently plugged in at home)
From a purely financial point of view, it makes sense to charge at work as well as at home. But after a while, I think you'd find that it's more trouble than it's worth. Twice a day, you'll need to unplug the UMC, wrap it up, and put it in the case for transport. Worse, if you don't wrap it up for transport, then you have a big mess of cable to put into and take out of your trunk/frunk.

Then while at work, would you worry that somebody may vandalize your UMC? I've seen many reports where somebody would file a report against an EV-driver "stealing" electricity at work. Some people see free charging as an unfair advantage, and will try to prevent you from having it. If someone thinks you're unfairly getting free electricity, then what if they decide to "solve" the problem themselves instead of reporting it, and damage your UMC? You might know better the kind of people you work with, and whether this could be a concern.

PandaM3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From a purely financial point of view, it makes sense to charge at work as well as at home. But after a while, I think you'd find that it's more trouble than it's worth. Twice a day, you'll need to unplug the UMC, wrap it up, and put it in the case for transport. Worse, if you don't wrap it up for transport, then you have a big mess of cable to put into and take out of your trunk/frunk.

Then while at work, would you worry that somebody may vandalize your UMC? I've seen many reports where somebody would file a report against an EV-driver "stealing" electricity at work. Some people see free charging as an unfair advantage, and will try to prevent you from having it. If someone thinks you're unfairly getting free electricity, then what if they decide to "solve" the problem themselves instead of reporting it, and damage your UMC? You might know better the kind of people you work with, and whether this could be a concern.
Luckily for me that is not a concern. I have the key to the access closet to plug in. Wish I installed a nema 14-50 plug when my location was just a privately owned private practice before we sold our locations to a larger corporation. Anyhow I know enough of the directors that also drive Tesla’s or other EV’s that maybe I can convince them to push corporate to allow install of Nema 14-50’s at our different offices.

Country
Country
At my work there are about 20 level 2 chargers and 12 level 1 chargers. I also think they are working on adding another bank of level 2 chargers on the other end of our campus. Daily, the chargers get about 80% full. Charging is free. There is a strip mall across the street which I'm guessing would be the perfect place for the Tesla Supercharging station they are planning in the city as it's the only spot off the freeway with restaurants. I have a level 2 charger at home.

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just curious - how many of you have workplace charging available for your Model 3? Workplace charging is essential, especially for those who don't have access to charging infrastructure at home. I live in a multi-dwelling unit and don't have the option of installing a dedicated EV charger, therefore I rely on charging at my workplace. Is there anyone else in a similar situation and how much does it cost you to charge at work?
I don't agree that it is essential. It depends on your home charging situation.

I have been driving a Leaf for 2 years and I don't have workplace charging. I do have charging within walking distance of the office, including a Level 3 charger.

It's much more convenient to charge overnight at home. Home charging is cheaper than all the options near my office.