Question Wireless Phone Charging Plate Recommendations

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

MRubenzahl

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Looking at a wireless charging plate for the Model 3 (Standard Range) I have ordered. I see Tesla sells one for $125. Saw mention here of Nomad ($99) which people seem to like; and Jeda (also about $99). Then there's TapTes, with numerous models on Amazon with good reviews for around $30-50.

I am confused as to which TapTes models work with a Model 3 Standard Range since some say "Compatible All Tesla M3 Except Standard Range." Why would that be? How could range affect a charging device? Then there are vague mentions of a "software problem" averted by USB splitters?

Anyone using a TapTes wireless plate with a M3 Standard?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How could range affect a charging device?
It wouldn't be due to the range difference. The Standard Range cars were originally not supposed to have nearly as many features as the cars with Premium interiors. In particular, they weren't supposed to have a place to dock smartphones. So my *guess* (without a link to the exact product you're looking at) is that you may be looking at an older description for the device in question, and they were taking that into account.

I believe Tesla decided to include the phone docks in the Standard Range cars. Can you confirm that?

Silvermagic3

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had the super cheap TapTes (currently $32 with 20% off coupon), for 9 months with no issues at all. I have an iPhone 8 and my wife has the XS Max, both charge fine.

MRubenzahl

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Interesting insight! This morning, I received a reply from TapTes with pictures of different interiors. Apparently the Standard at one time had different plastic and no cell phone tray. I don't think this is true any more.

The Tesla website says that all interiors include "Center console with storage, 4 USB ports and docking for 2 smartphones” so my guess is that they have eliminated this difference between the Standard and other packages. When I take delivery, I will look at their pictures and will let everyone know. But sounds like phone trays are in all the cars now.

TapTes also clarified the models for me:

Gen 1 wireless chargers prices are cheaper
ASIN: B07Q9L6DJN
The one doesn't have software issue on Tesla front port, that means you can directly plug the charger's usb cables to Tesla front ports.
ASIN: B07P7ZTBJR

The one may have Tesla front port software issue that causes it must need to use usb splitters for solving issue. And also this one can support fast charging with 9v power bank. But if directly using tesla front ports its charging speed is just the same with the one B07Q9L6DJN. Please kindly know about it.

Gen 2 wireless charger price is 49.99 now
ASIN: B07X2RJ2V4

Gen 2 can support wireless charging horizontally, and built with a short Type C charging cable, can support wire charging too. can support fast charging with 9v power bank too, but you need to use the charging cable which comes with the power bank at the same time.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Apparently the Standard at one time had different plastic and no cell phone tray.
I dont think there were any made like that, just renderings.
Yep. Tesla's original plan was to have a different, simpler center console for the standard cars. I believe they figured out that it would cost more to have different parts on the assembly line than it would to just keep the console the same for all cars.