Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Winter wheel/tire options for Performance Model 3 with Performance Upgrades

28K views 56 replies 31 participants last post by  kataleen 
#1 ·
Hi folks -

I've recently taken delivery of my Model 3 - Performance AWD with the Performance Upgrade pack (20 inch wheels, upgraded brakes). Car is amazing and I love it!

I live in Ontario, Canada and will be needing winter tires. I don't want to put snow tires on the 20 inch wheels because the efficiency is going to be miserable in the winter and the traction likely too. Unfortunately, the Tesla 18 aero and 19 inch sport options do not work with Performance Upgrade pack equipped cars because of the brakes and the wheel fitment (now confirmed on Tesla website). I called Tesla and they said they have no information as to when / if they will update their options to have a Performance Upgrade compatible version (shocker :))

I'm wondering what others are doing here? The only real option that I've seen that is confirmed to work with Performance Upgrade cars is Tsportline wheels (see link below), but they are a bit expensive. I'd prefer something a bit cheaper, 18's, and as aero as I can get...

Any suggestions or comparable experience feedback would be great... Thanks!

https://tsportline.com/collections/...ckage-set-of-4-model-3?variant=18898371870838

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd prefer something a bit cheaper, 18's, and as aero as I can get...
@Mad Hungarian is going to have a solution for us soon. He confirmed that the 18" FastWheels FC04 wheels will clear the PUO's brake calipers. He will be explaining how to fit it on the rotor hats correctly in a video.

@TrevP should be putting up that video... <elontime>SOON...</elontime>. ;)

#3 ·
oh those calipers...

So, the summer set definitely has to go for the winter for those of us with the performance package upgrade/ 20" performance summer tire set that live in the mid-atlantic and northeast.

Tire rack looks like they have an option to select Model 3 Performance with PERFORMANCE BRAKES - the 20" options were too expensive and 18" I'm worried will be too crappy of a drive.

I want to go 19"s but I wanted to stick with the Conti's and they only had 245/40 R19 and list those as "might fit" or something.

When I plug this size into a size comparison calculator they should be about 1% smaller than the current staggered set.

Has anyone successfully put 245/40 R19s on their M3P?

If you purchased a winter set, can you post the size you bought and if it worked out not?

#9 ·
oh those calipers...

So, the summer set definitely has to go for the winter for those of us with the performance package upgrade/ 20" performance summer tire set that live in the mid-atlantic and northeast.

Tire rack looks like they have an option to select Model 3 Performance with PERFORMANCE BRAKES - the 20" options were too expensive and 18" I'm worried will be too crappy of a drive.

I want to go 19"s but I wanted to stick with the Conti's and they only had 245/40 R19 and list those as "might fit" or something.

When I plug this size into a size comparison calculator they should be about 1% smaller than the current staggered set.

Has anyone successfully put 245/40 R19s on their M3P?

If you purchased a winter set, can you post the size you bought and if it worked out not?
We offer 19" TST Wheel and Tire Packages with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 Winter Tires in 235/40-19". Our wheels are compatible, just simply select the correct Model 3 trim you own to receive the right wheel.

#4 ·
I haven't bought them yet, but I'm planning to get a set of FastWheels FC04 18"x9" for winter use. I haven't decided what tires to get, but I'm probably going to get something with decent cold wet/dry performance, rather than great snow performance. @Mad Hungarian has confirmed that the 18" version has clearance for the Performance Upgrade brake calipers, but it's also available in a 19" size if you prefer that.

Pictures of the 18" rims mounted on a Performance Upgrade Model 3:

#6 ·
I have 19's on order (19x8.5) and am going with X-Ice ic3's in 245/40r19. While I'd prefer something narrower in the winter, but as you note, it is a close match to OEM sizing. I normally use Nokian's, but I hear good things about the X-Ice's as well and Tirerack has them for $885 after rebate for a full set.

#14 ·
You will be fine with either 18 or 19 inch rims. The smaller the diameter rim the better efficiency you will get with your M3 for range in regards to wh/mi. 18 will get the best range and will of course be less expensive. 19's will be less efficient and more expensive. Although 19's will look much better in my opinion. I'm opting for the 19's since I have 20's on mine already, I'll get the best of both worlds that way.

#17 ·
I think I'm going to go with the Tire Rack C4 18" wheels and Michelin CrossClimate+ 235/45R18's for my P3D+

We don't have that much snow in Delaware and the CrossClimates had a great CR and TR review - with good snow traction and low roll resistance.

TR Review
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=231

Wheels
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...ht+Grey+Painted&showRear=no&packageFlow=false

Tires
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive&vehicleSearch=true
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

#19 ·
I'm in a similar bind right now, trying to find a good solution before the snow flies. From my research, here's the state of the nation.

If you want 100% compatible, bolt on and forget it for the Model 3 Performance with Performance Upgrade (P3D+), the only options appear to be the turbines from TSportline or EVWheel Direct. There are countless other options available that will fit, but will require the use of wheel spacers / hub rings / lug adapters. There are varying opinions about the challenges and risks associated with those approaches. Tirerack has a lot of options, but in speaking with them, they say none of their solutions are truly hubcentric (64.1mm hub with accommodation for the ~3mm lip on the P3D+) so take that into consideration. Titan 7 is manufacturing a series of gorgeous forged wheels that will be custom fit for the Model 3 with accommodation for the unique hub situation, but those are not shipping yet, will have a different offset (39 or 40) and while gorgeous, are a very open design so perhaps not the ideal winter solution). Those are sold through Evasive Motorsports and they've told me they won't be shipping until January. Some manufacturers are custom milling their wheels to fit, and I believe Get Your Wheels has several brands they work with that will do this, but I've not done much research there. They are active participants on the forums so easy to find threads that speak to this. Oh, and be careful with 18" wheels as some but not all will clear the larger calipers.

Beyond that, the 19" OEM wheels are not advised by Tesla, the only apparent reason is that this ~3mm lip changes the offset (the rotor hats are narrower than the regular model, exposing a part of the hub that isn't really meant to protrude - the lip), which is why the P3D+ has +35 as compared to the +40 offset on the rest of the OEM wheels. Theoretically, you could run those with a spacer, but you'd want to check that the lugs are long enough to properly secure the wheels (they likely are, I just haven't seen anyone do so). And lastly some people have mounted the OEM 19" (which seem to now have the accommodation for the 3mm lip, but no guarantee that's what you'll get when you order) with the tighter offset, but I don't know if that will clear all suspension components, etc. So, 19" OEM is sort of an option, but with caveats. You'd want to do your homework on fitment to be satisfied.

And lastly, the OEM 20" option... Someone on one of the forums recently spoke with Tesla and was told a winter package for the P3D+ will be made available shortly (expected in November), but will only be the 20" OEM wheel with winter tires. Currently, you can buy replacement wheels for $810 (CAD) each from Tesla and the only two winter tires available in 235/35/20 are the Michelin & Pirelli performance winters which are very expensive. I contacted Nokian who said they are developing the Hakkapeliitta R3 in this size but likely won't be in market until next year. The low sidewall isn't ideal for winter, obviously.

This is all just based on my own research, conversations with Tesla, various aftermarket retailers, and many hours reading through the forums. No guarantee I'm 100% accurate on all of this, so happy to be corrected if anyone has better intel, and would love to hear about any other options that are a true custom fit for the P3D+.

Good luck!

#20 ·
Tsportline is sold out on the 18 inch styles, I can't even find any 20 inch snow tires that fit the wheels I currently have on. I have been looking at custom makers of wheel adapters to have some firm fit the 3mm ridge plus the 63.4 hub and then be able to make any size adapter so that people could buy any wheels they want...this seems like a good option if the adapter doesn't have to be to thick...has anyone tried this yet? I don't know of any other good fitting options...

-Chris

#25 ·
FastWheels FC04
They're already machining the backs of them to fit the Performance rotors.
IIRC, 1010tires.com is the official distributer in the states.
Don't bother trying to call these guys... I was on hold 30 minutes, and then they hung up on me. Tried again, same thing: after 30 minutes I was finally #1 and then they hung up on me.

Apparently they're too busy to be able to answer their phone.

Oh, I also made use of their "we'll call you back when a representative is available" feature, but they never called back.

I also tried their "Live Chat" but it wasn't chat at all... It just sent an email...

Pretty lousy service, IMHO.

Any other distributors for the FC04 in the USA?

#28 ·
@Mad Hungarian: Who else carries them?
Absolutely www.canadawheels.ca can ship to the U.S., give them a try.

Note however that stock is getting really thin, here's our current inventory breakdown:

18x8.0 +30
Black: B/O, available Jan. 18th
Titanium: B/O, available Jan. 18th

18x8.0 +40
Black: B/O, available Jan. 18th
Bronze: 16 left

18x9.0 +30
Black: 20 left
Bronze: 100 left

18x9.0 +40
Black: B/O, available Feb. 28th

#29 ·
I recently installed the Fast Wheels FC04, 18x8 +40 offset, with 3 mm wheel spacers on my performance model 3. I think they look pretty good. Below is a pic after crossing the the pass from Western Oregon over to Klamath Falls.

These wheels are LIGHT (as advertised), and seem like really good value. The fit and finish looks excellent. They clear the big performance brakes. The only downside was the ordering experience from 1010tires. As others have mentioned, their customer service stinks. I had similar experiences with dropped calls and non-functional online chat as BostonPilot outlined above. The good news in the end was that the wheels showed up, with the centering rings & lug nuts, and once they actually shipped (after a week+ of processing), they arrived quickly.

I put Nokian WR G4 tires on them, and I like the tires so far. I wanted a good all-rounder, for the Pacific Northwest. They made the steering feel lighter compared to the 20" Michelins, but the handling continues to feel solid.

One hesitation I had before buying was the +40 offset, versus +30. I think the +40 worked out okay, and I also think the +30 would provide a little better stance, albeit probably a subtle difference (especially since I'm using 3mm wheel spacers, so the acual difference is only 7 mm). Being a bit more tucked in with the +40 may help with winter range, so I don't feel too bummed about not being able to get the +30 in bronze.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

#54 ·
Here are a few more shots of the 18" FC04 wheels, +40 offset with 3mm spacers on my car, including a rear caliper clearance shot (not quite the perect angle, but you can get the picture. . . there's a few mm of clearance).
View attachment 17997
I'm getting these in silver for my matte blue 3 and lowering the car. Please enjoy my amateur photoshop so that I could imagine what this would look like lowered. Thanks for the tips on the offset. Because of you I went with the +30s. Thanks.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#31 · (Edited)
Just put on new shoes for the winter on "Grey Matter." I was very much leaning towards the T Sportline 18"s but in the end decided to go with Tire Rack since these are winter tires.. still considering T Sportline for an alternative all weather option....especially with the loss of efficiency with the stock 20" wheel.

So I went with the Sports Edition 18" wheel and the Pirelli SottoZero 3 tires in 235-45-R18. My biggest concern was having heard reports some of the Tire Rack wheels not clearing the calipers on the performance threes, fortunately the SE A11s had no issues. Also, it took less that two miles of driving for the system to ask about the TPMS and wheel size for resetting. (sorry about the dirty car, apparently I ran through some mud)
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

#32 ·
I'd like to know what y'all observe in difference in Wh.mile, 0-60 times and handling vs the 20" wheel/MP4S tires.
Compared to my 20 with summer tires I get about 12-14% better efficiency with the 19 and AS tires, which I have tested several times on the same course, same climate etc.
PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS 19" T-sportline
They don't handle as well and I have not done a 0-60 times. It's still plenty fast!!!

#33 ·
I just purchased Model 3 with the 20 in sport performance wheels.
I live in Missouri where is snows - sometimes more than 6 inches.
Does anyone have experience with the sport wheels in snow greater than 4 inches?
Or do I need to get the (non-available) winter tires?

#36 ·
Forget about snow.

The problem is that the tires that come on the 20" wheels are summer tires, not all-season tires. In particular, if you try to use them when they've been sitting outside in below-freezing temperatures, the tread will actually crack, and you will have voided any tire warranty available. You *must* get winter tires if you plan on driving the car in below-freezing weather.

#34 ·
Always winter tires if you drive longer distances under 7 degrees Celsius.
Buy a second set of smaller rims with narrower winter tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.