Winter Wheel and Tire Packages

EVTuning

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Summer is coming to an end and Winter will be here before you know it! Being that we're located in New England there has already been a large number of inquiries for Winter wheel and tires. This is especially a concern for all the RWD customers. For RWD Model S snow tires were pretty much a given in any cold weather climate and the same should be expected of the Model 3. However regardless of whether you have RWD or Dual Motor having snow tires dramatically improves traction on snow and ice covered roads.
Don't get caught off guard without a good set of snow tires. These packages are for non PUO (Performance Upgrade option) equipped vehicles currently. We are working on 19" fitments for those that opted for the Performance Upgrade option with the bigger front brakes. We should have those available shortly. You have a choice of 3 different Tires, Michelin X-Ice, Blizzak, or Nokian R2 (R3 will be added when they're available). There are also 3 choices for wheels. Pricing includes new TPMS, mounting, balancing and shipping to you or a local installer.

Please take a look and give us feedback if you'd like to see something different. We can also custom build packages using another wheel we sell and one of the three tires listed if you'd prefer something that looks more OEM.

Model 3 18" Winter Wheel and Tire Packages

Attachments

Last edited:

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Being that we're located in New England there has already been a large number of inquiries for Winter wheel and tires. This is especially a concern for all the RWD customers. For RWD Model S snow tires were pretty much a given in any cold weather climate and the same should be expected of the Model 3.

If I didn't know any better, I would think you were implying that an AWD vehicle somehow negates or reduces the need for winter tires when driving on roads covered with snow or ice.​

Last edited:

EVTuning

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country

If I didn't know any better, I would think you were implying that AWD vehicles somehow negates or reduces the need for winter tires when driving on roads covered with snow or ice.​
I wasn't suggesting that but I guess if you wanted to read between the lines I can see how that could be implied. I updated it to clarify. Thanks for the input/feedback.

EVTuning

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Three out of the five wheels say "PETROL" prominently on the outside face of the wheel? I just don't think I could bolt that onto my EV! ;)
I totally understand. The centercaps can be adjusted with no markings on them. The intent was to find reasonably priced wheels that there was a good amount of stock in so we didn't sell out after selling 2 sets.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
You might need to fix the webpage at the link above. When I go there, there is a default wheel/tire combination. Then, when I change the selected tire, the selected wheel type remains (as I would expect) but the photo changes to a different wheel. This creates ambiguity as to which wheel photo depicts which wheel description.

EVTuning

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
You might need to fix the webpage at the link above. When I go there, there is a default wheel/tire combination. Then, when I change the selected tire, the selected wheel type remains (as I would expect) but the photo changes to a different wheel. This creates ambiguity as to which wheel photo depicts which wheel description.
I just checked all the combinations and they look correct. Can you tell me which combination of wheel and tire package you're looking at that changes the wheel when you're only changing the tire?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks I edited and clarified further regarding the Performance Upgrade Package and the bigger brakes and requiring the 19" wheels and tires.
I've edited your post further to change it to PUO - Performance Upgrade Option.
That's how Tesla lists it in the Model 3 configurator, and keeping the acronym different reduces confusion with the Premium Upgrade Package.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Three out of the five wheels say "PETROL" prominently on the outside face of the wheel? I just don't think I could bolt that onto my EV! ;)
I wouldn't mind if someone made replacement center caps or replacement chrome stickers with Tesla logos to use instead of these, for those of us with aftermarket rims

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I just checked all the combinations and they look correct. Can you tell me which combination of wheel and tire package you're looking at that changes the wheel when you're only changing the tire?
It looks like it's working as expected now. I re-tried all options and didn't see the described behavior again.

BostonPilot

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

If I didn't know any better, I would think you were implying that AWD vehicles somehow negates or reduces the need for winter tires when driving on roads covered with snow or ice.​
I wasn't suggesting that but I guess if you wanted to read between the lines I can see how that could be implied. I updated it to clarify. Thanks for the input/feedback.
Yeah, just to agree with PNWmisty and EVTuning, having had several Subaru STi on summer performance tires, it doesn't matter HOW many wheel drive you have, you need winter (or at least all season) tires if you live where it gets cold in the winter. Not only do you need winter tires for snow+ice, but just the low temperatures of near freezing winter roads can limit grip (and possibly damage your performance tires).

I've always had a winter wheel+tire set so that in November I can swap them. Typically takes me 30 minutes. I would definitely recommend a set of wheels... You generally break even in 2-3 years, the cost of the wheels vs the cost of having a tire shop mount/dismount your tires twice a year. Also minimizes the chance that the tire store is going to damage your summer wheels.

Just part of the cost of running summer performance tires in colder climates...

SwaggerWagon

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, just to agree with PNWmisty and EVTuning, having had several Subaru STi on summer performance tires, it doesn't matter HOW many wheel drive you have, you need winter (or at least all season) tires if you live where it gets cold in the winter. Not only do you need winter tires for snow+ice, but just the low temperatures of near freezing winter roads can limit grip (and possibly damage your performance tires).

I've always had a winter wheel+tire set so that in November I can swap them. Typically takes me 30 minutes. I would definitely recommend a set of wheels... You generally break even in 2-3 years, the cost of the wheels vs the cost of having a tire shop mount/dismount your tires twice a year. Also minimizes the chance that the tire store is going to damage your summer wheels.

Just part of the cost of running summer performance tires in colder climates...
I have to agree with this - it all comes down to tires. If your tires can't grip, then AWD just means you have 4 slipping/spinning wheels instead of 2.

EVTuning

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
I really appreciate all the constructive feedback about the "Petrol" wheels. They have been removed and two other options put in their place. Please continue the feedback and if there are any requests such as EV Wheel Direct Wheels or something else that you'd like to see with a set of winter tires assembled we can certainly be flexible and accommodate.

steve_m3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't understand why the winter package for 18" Nurburgring Matte Black with X-ICE are $700 more than the same exact rim with primacy tires.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I agree with the statements about a Subaru WRX in the winter without snow tires, is that is what I just traded in to get our new Model 3 Performance. As we have the performance upgrade option, we are looking for a set of 19 inch wheels and tires for the winter. Do you know when he will be offering this? I'm interested in purchasing a set right away, as we are picking up our car next Friday.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with the statements about a Subaru WRX in the winter without snow tires, is that is what I just traded in to get our new Model 3 Performance. As we have the performance upgrade option, we are looking for a set of 19 inch wheels and tires for the winter. Do you know when he will be offering this? I'm interested in purchasing a set right away, as we are picking up our car next Friday.
Tesla sells a package here.

Otherwise, check tirerack.com

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hung out at @EVTuning today to get Blizzaks mounted to my stock aero rims, and among their overflowing stock of winter wheels was this absolutely stunning combo of TSW Nurburgring Matte Gunmetal with Nokian R3s. :hearteyes::hearteyes: When's the last time you thought winter wheels were beautiful? Photos don't do that finish justice. Love the look of the tread on the Nokians as well. I would be all over these if I had bought a red 3 as planned. IMG_0257.jpg

steve_m3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hung out at @EVTuning today to get Blizzaks mounted to my stock aero rims, and among their overflowing stock of winter wheels was this absolutely stunning combo of TSW Nurburgring Matte Gunmetal with Nokian R3s. :hearteyes::hearteyes: When's the last time you thought winter wheels were beautiful? Photos don't do that finish justice. Love the look of the tread on the Nokians as well. I would be all over these if I had bought a red 3 as planned. View attachment 17373
They look great, but they are way over priced. IMO.