Question Winter Tires

Jeda - Top Tesla Accessories

Bandman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
What are the best winter tires to use on a Model 3 LR? It has been suggest that the Nokian Hakka's are good but they are not 98Ws. Does anyone have some real world experience with a brand that they could recommend?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
check out "tyre reviews" on youtube where the presenter (british guy) drove and compared a bunch of winter tires from value, mid-priced to premium. it's one of the better reviews out there.

Reactions: Bandman

Malaromane

Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have the Nokian Hakka's and was very happy with their performance through this past winter with my Model 3 LR. I always felt in control with plenty of grip available even when I was in a snow-covered, empty parking lot "playing around" a bit.

On the downside, the tires did dramatically increase the road noise. It took me a number of days to get used to it. I was told by the people at Kal Tire where I bought my Hakka's that the increase in road noise isn't as dramatic with other winter tire options -- for example the Michelin XIce Xi3 -- but my commute is incredibly short so I was willing to accept the increased road noise in exchange for better winter handling.

Reactions: Bandman

Bandman

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have the Nokian Hakka's and was very happy with their performance through this past winter with my Model 3 LR. I always felt in control with plenty of grip available even when I was in a snow-covered, empty parking lot "playing around" a bit.

On the downside, the tires did dramatically increase the road noise. It took me a number of days to get used to it. I was told by the people at Kal Tire where I bought my Hakka's that the increase in road noise isn't as dramatic with other winter tire options -- for example the Michelin XIce Xi3 -- but my commute is incredibly short so I was willing to accept the increased road noise in exchange for better winter handling.
Thank you for the reply. Did the lower rating (98H) on the Hakka's cause any handling issues? Did you have them running at 41 PSI?

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor 👍🏻
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've been a Michelin man for decades. I did have a pair of Gislaved Nord*Frost for my first Volvo and liked them, but replaced them with Michelins and really liked those. Got a set of Nokians with some rims for a different volvo and while okay, sold them and went back to Michelins X-ice.

When it came time for winters for the 3, I priced out rims and tires and ended up with the package from Tesla, which were Michelins and not surprisingly, I am happy with them.

D. J.

TOO Supporting Member
Michelin X-Ice come in the right ratings and size for the 18" aero wheels. I found a person selling their aero's as take offs on craigslist. Been driving them through 3 Colorado winters so far on a RWD MR and it's been a great ski vehicle for all but the deepest snow days.

Reactions: lance.bailey

Mad Hungarian

Legendary Member 🏆
TOO Wheel & Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We actually have had a few threads on this previously, I think this was the last / most complete. Lots of good reading in there!

Malaromane

Ludicrous Level Supporter
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thank you for the reply. Did the lower rating (98H) on the Hakka's cause any handling issues? Did you have them running at 41 PSI?
I ran them at 41 PSI, yes. I am by no means a driving expert but I noticed no handling issues with the Hakkas on the car. I felt in control at all times.