Windshield wiper replacement

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Perscitus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

AMPM

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Tried Michelin Stealth but unless I’m terribly hung-over they don’t fit with the included adapter. Anyone know of a brand that will fit?

FF35

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I bought the Bosch 19OE and 26OE. The adapter doesn’t fit but I trimmed about 3/4 of plastic along each adapter and then they were able to fit. No issues in more than 1,000 miles.

Just realized the OP is looking for a winter blade. While these aren’t “winter” blades I have used them in ice and snow without a problem.

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I thought winter blades meant a wiper that didn't have exposed metal parts that could get full of ice so they didn't work properly, BUT, I assume like winter tires, winter blades could be made of different compounds to work better in winter.

That said, I simply wipe down my blades with an alcohol wipe every fall to get them ready for winter. I might also wipe them down any time they seem to need rejuvenation.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I did not even realize that was a thing :oops:
Winter wipers have been around for a long time. So have I unfortunately. Before the new style one piece flex wipers which work all year around winter wipers had rubber over the metal frame to keep the snow/ice from packing in there. The metal multi-hinge frame was underneath the rubber cover. They looked like this:

2d7ad0d0-5084-45bc-9ca5-812a3fa75fc2-png.21007

Last edited:

Rick Steinwand

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I treated my windshield the same time I did cQuartz on the body and roof. Now I leave my wipers off and just hit the left stalk if I want a swipe or two. I might turn them on in the car wash (on the rare day temps are low enough), but for the most part, leaving them off has worked great. And I don't need to worry that snow and ice might damage them, if the car feels the need to turn them on and I haven't cleaned that area yet.

I have no complaints about the stock wiper's performance in the winter.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi all,

I've had my car for about 10.5 months and live in San Diego so have literally used my windshield wipers for a total of maybe a few weeks during the time I've had the car. I noticed during our current "rain storm" that the wipers are kind of sticking/jumping on occasion. This usually indicates to me that I need to replace my wipers, but on my old car I don't recall changing out my wipers that often. How often are you guys replacing them? Also, what kind of wipers do you recommend using? I assume Tesla would charge a ridiculous amount for their stock wipers.

Thanks!

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The stock wiper blades themselves are OEM parts available on amazon as far as I know...
Bosch 19OE and 26OE ICON blades...about 25CAD with prime shipping...
I've been informed this is incorrect....Ignore.

You might just get away with a graphite lube job on the rubber itself...
Tesla also warns against using wiper fluid with water repellent additives because it 'will cause wiper skipping'.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi all,

I've had my car for about 10.5 months and live in San Diego so have literally used my windshield wipers for a total of maybe a few weeks during the time I've had the car. I noticed during our current "rain storm" that the wipers are kind of sticking/jumping on occasion. This usually indicates to me that I need to replace my wipers, but on my old car I don't recall changing out my wipers that often. How often are you guys replacing them? Also, what kind of wipers do you recommend using? I assume Tesla would charge a ridiculous amount for their stock wipers.

Thanks!
I’m at 53 weeks and 19,500 miles with a good amount of rain and my wipers work as if they were brand new!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
... the wipers are kind of sticking/jumping on occasion.
This sounds like the old problem people were having where the wipers were stuttering when set to auto.
What version of software are you on?
Does it also do this when you set it on intermittent, or only when set to auto?

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The stock wiper blades themselves are OEM parts available on amazon as far as I know...
Bosch 19OE and 26OE ICON blades...about 25CAD with prime shipping...

You might just get away with a graphite lube job on the rubber itself...
Tesla also warns against using wiper fluid with water repellent additives because it 'will cause wiper skipping'.
Bosch Icon OE blades do not fit. Some sites used to list them as compatible, but they are not. Trust me. I removed the rubber and replaced mine. Just buy from Tesla. They really need to have stuff like this available in easy mail order from the website for folks when service center isn't convenient.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Bosch Icon OE blades do not fit. Some sites used to list them as compatible, but they are not. Trust me. I removed the rubber and replaced mine. Just buy from Tesla. They really need to have stuff like this available in easy mail order from the website for folks when service center isn't convenient.
REALLY good to know - I was pretty sure I pulled that part from Tesla (but now I'm not sure) and added it to my wish list ready for when I needed some. Absolutely will go to SC for those.