Windshield washer solution

Hotstuff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla says not to use Bug Wash like Prestones but I can not see why. I have used it successfully over 5 previous cars with good results. Why doesn't Tesla want you to use same., and if so what d they recommend besides just plain water?

BluestarE3

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla says not to use Bug Wash like Prestones but I can not see why. I have used it successfully over 5 previous cars with good results. Why doesn't Tesla want you to use same., and if so what d they recommend besides just plain water?
Per the owner's manual:
Caution: Do not add formulated washer fluids that contain water repellent or bug wash. These fluids can cause streaking, smearing and squeaking or other noises.
Just use regular el-cheapo windshield washer fluid. Don't ever fill with plain water, especially in cold climates where it could freeze.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Per your post title I thought you were asking about washing the windshield, but maybe you were asking about windsheild washer fluid, in which case I would follow the advice above.

Hotstuff

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the replies guys. I will look for "Regular Windshield Washer Fluid" and use it. Freezing is not a concern here in southwest Florida at all. I also just ordered a package from Amazon for cleaning the inside of the windshield which I have found impossible to clean and not have steaks not to mention difficulty reaching all the way to the bottom of it. The package is called Invisible Glass 99031 Reach and Clean Combo Pack, 19 fl. oz.
I will let you know how it works after I receive it today.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Freezing is not a concern here in southwest Florida at all.
Every few years, there are news stories about how the Florida orange crop has been destroyed due to a night of below-freezing temperatures. One of the benefits of Windshield Washer fluid is that the freezing point is much lower than that of water. So still be sure not to use plain water.

kort677

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Every few years, there are news stories about how the Florida orange crop has been destroyed due to a night of below-freezing temperatures. One of the benefits of Windshield Washer fluid is that the freezing point is much lower than that of water. So still be sure not to use plain water.
agreed, plain water can be used in summer months when there is no chance of a freeze but it really isn't as effective at cleaning and as to freezes in FLA, we measure those rare occurrences in hours, rarely does a freeze linger very long, however if you're in the panhandle part of the state freezes will last longer.

TMK26

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like I'll be buying windshield washer fluid now, and putting it in myself, since I won't be getting it topped off during my oil changes :)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like I'll be buying windshield washer fluid now, and putting it in myself, since I won't be getting it topped off during my oil changes :)
FYI, when I took my Model 3 to the service center for a few issues, I noticed the list of work they performed without my asking included "topping off washer fluid". :)

scaots

Tesla Pilot, Owner, and Shareholder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wouldn't worry about that recommendation based on possible streaking. As long as whatever you use works for you and isn't something harsh that could damage paint then should be fine. Whatever blue stuff came in mine was lousy. It didn't clean anything and left streaks. I used it liberally during a couple good rains to drain it (and there is almost a gallon so lots of it in there to empty). Then I filled with my favorite mix that works better for pretty much everything.
guest_5167bb40-a449-42af-be63-2579b16731cf-jpeg.16963

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The Rain-X orange has always worked the best. The cheap blue stuff always freezes in PA, and if it's full, will crack your fluid container too.
In Florida the Rain-X pink (for bugs) is good too.