Windshield sun shade

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

skygraff

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The shade I bought at Costco seems as good as any but I really haven’t used it in any real situation yet.

It covers the entire windshield held in by visors, has flaps in the center top and bottom to slip around mirror so there’s no upside down, it’s reversible with reflective silver and subtle blue sides, the material seems sturdy enough and it doesn’t seem to hint at having sharp wires which might puncture it or damage the car (yet?). It folds compact enough to fit in the seat back pocket but isn’t easy to do (on first attempt - I’m out of practice) inside the car with doors closed.

Like I said, it also came with two mesh shades for side windows but, since the jumbo shade is designed for bigger vehicles, they seem better sized for the front rather than back windows. They’ll fit in back but a tight squeeze. I will try them when I’m car camping but may opt for curtains, sheets, or towels instead if I want more privacy/darkness.

I’ll report back after I take my trip and park in the southwest sun a few times. Hope that helps.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've looked at all of the suggestions on this thread for a windshield sun screen; anyone want to give any updates (good or bad) from their original posts? I'm tempted to just go the Costco route if it seems to do the trick.
I love the Covercraft. It's rigid, so it's a little difficult to install at first, but you get used to it and get better at it. It looks really clean from the outside and fits perfectly.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ordered this one with the 20% off code, thanks
https://evtuningsolutions.com/products/tesla-model-3-ultimate-reflector

Took about 10 days to show up.

Fits like a glove, blocks out just about every bit of sun, well made, sturdy

But, It's big, but it has to fit right?
The issue is you get in the car and you take it down. Its a challenge to fold up and get back in the case.
Sort of have to keep your door open, slide half of it out of the car and then slide it into the case.

Don't get me wrong, I like it and it kept the car cooler in 93 Degree Florida direct sun.
I wonder if some day they can make a version that folds in half?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ordered this one with the 20% off code, thanks
https://evtuningsolutions.com/products/tesla-model-3-ultimate-reflector

Took about 10 days to show up.

Fits like a glove, blocks out just about every bit of sun, well made, sturdy

But, It's big, but it has to fit right?
The issue is you get in the car and you take it down. Its a challenge to fold up and get back in the case.
Sort of have to keep your door open, slide half of it out of the car and then slide it into the case.

Don't get me wrong, I like it and it kept the car cooler in 93 Degree Florida direct sun.
I wonder if some day they can make a version that folds in half?
I have the same one, no problem folding it up inside the car. I use the top of the center screen as a support and just pull it back a few inches to fold it, same to put it up. Works great and with the case laying over my shoulder to start then more angled towards the floor in back to finish it goes right in. Not always perfect but no need to stand out in the hot sun.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm thinking about getting the Evannex shades. Just wish they were black rather than aluminized (maybe I'll paint them or glue some fabric on...). Also, I'm not sure how insulated they are.

It's sort of the opposite problem as most of you... I want something to help keep the car *warm* while blocking the light at night for camping in my car in the summer.

Craig Bennett

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oops, forgot to mention: get the X-large size. (If you measure the Model 3 windshield, you'll find it fits the X-large measurements very closely.)
Hmmm. My tape measure puts the windshield width at ~57 inches. I bought the one you recommend and it is far too wide for me. The height is pretty close and that's the challenge, finding one that is high enough but not way too wide.

Darn amazing visibility in the Model 3. ;-)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I just went ahead and tinted the front windshield with 3M Crystalline 70%. The windshield is so large, that I did not want to mess around with a large cover. With the recent 106 degree weather in Texas, the car seem to cool much faster and felt cooler since the sun's radiation was being cut at the glass before entering the passenger compartment. I have not noticed any visibility difference at night due to the slight tint. I can touch the dash behind the screen with my bare hand and hold it after first getting in the car while it sat in the parking lot all day. At $40 for the reflector cover, it was worth it paying extra for the tint which works noticeably better.

Spiffywerks

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just because I plan to take hikes in the southwest while my car rests unplugged or on destination chargers, I decided a sunshade would be nice. Got the Jumbo one at Costco ($8.99 with two mesh side window shades) which is very similar to that Amazon one.

Fits like a glove and stores nicely in the seat back pocket. Soft material so don’t think it’s likely to scratch anything.
I'm using this one too. It doesn't really fit the whole window. If you kinda prop the bottom against the speaker grill it works. But if you try to put it all the way against the window, then it's not tall enough to reach the visors.

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been loving mine so far! I actually just put my old one (the eyes) on the outside of it. So, best of both worlds. Nice to get a sunshade that fits the windshield!

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait a minute there......just a wait. I think I see a single small spot of dirt on your hood. Yep.....if I zoom in and get out my glasses it's just above the "T". Man, you were my car wash hero until today, now I have to go and find someone else as to fill that false idol roll model.....

LOL, just kidding, your car always looks great! (but seriously, you need clean that spot....I'm like the friend who will tell you when that green thing is stuck in your teeth!:D;):))

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait a minute there......just a wait. I think I see a single small spot of dirt on your hood. Yep.....if I zoom in and get out my glasses it's just above the "T". Man, you were my car wash hero until today, now I have to go and find someone else as to fill that false idol roll model.....

LOL, just kidding, your car always looks great! (but seriously, you need clean that spot....I'm like the friend who will tell you when that green thing is stuck in your teeth!:D;):))
LOL I think that’s a single drop of water ;)

Nice I may need to order this as well.
It looks good, but I’m not sure if it did anything. I will be conducting some scientific tests soon! :)

mdfraz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I broke down and paid for the EV Tuning one too, and I'm pretty happy with it. Covers about 98% of the windshield, which I'm sure isn't easy to accomplish. I try to stay economical, but I also believe that you get what you pay for, so I'd recommend this shade.