windshield rock chip

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3100 miles and got my first rock-hit-the-windshield ding today. Ironically I was on my way to a local Tesla club meeting to see if there were any other Model 3s (only around 18 Model Ss and a couple of Xs). Called Allstate, it might be fixable/fillable with epoxy, if not, we'll see what happens. There are no Tesla dealers allowed in NM, I get mobile service. :(:(:(
ding-jpg.6626

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3100 miles and got my first rock-hit-the-windshield ding today. Ironically I was on my way to a local Tesla club meeting to see if there were any other Model 3s (only around 18 Model Ss and a couple of Xs). Called Allstate, it might be fixable/fillable with epoxy, if not, we'll see what happens. There are no Tesla dealers allowed in NM, I get mobile service. :(:(:( View attachment 6626
that sucks :(
it may vary by state insurance laws or insurance company's policies, but up here, if the chip is within the wiper's path it can not be repair, but need to replace the glass.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
rock chips are common here, I have a $50 deductible on glass and "comprehensive" in general (for things like elk and deer). It's on the passenger side in the middle, MIGHT be something they can repair, we have no such restrictions here. I'd prefer repair to the uncertainty of replacing the entire windshield out here in the Wild West! I will keep you all up to date on what they do.

This one can be fixed even at home with DIY repair kit. Visit any shop that does that for best results.
Possibly ask Tesla as well.
Takes 10-20 minutes. Should cost like 50 bucks.
Up until that time, do not let water freeze in the crack. Do not push the glass from inside.
Be careful with cold/hot blasting on the windshield and don't drive over potholes:)

EValuatED

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This one can be fixed even at home with DIY repair kit. Visit any shop that does that for best results.
Possibly ask Tesla as well.
Takes 10-20 minutes. Should cost like 50 bucks.
Up until that time, do not let water freeze in the crack. Do not push the glass from inside.
Be careful with cold/hot blasting on the windshield and don't drive over potholes:)
And in the case of my USAA insurance it is $0.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Allstate prefers Safelight here in NM. I have a $50 deductible on glass but if the "ding" can be fixed with an epoxy repair, Allstate waives the $50 (i.e., it's free!). They came today, a very nice repair, just a tiny smudge left, indistinguishable from a small bug splat. I'm happy. No need for a new windshield, something I dreaded. Safelight guy said he was glad he didn't have to replace the windshield, it looked pretty involved to him. I asked if he wanted a ride once he finished. We did a quick spin around the block and he was amazed and all smiles. His first Model 3!

Scooty

Country
Country
I hit my third rock in 1000 miles this morning. The first one was the first week; two small nicks. The second one was the second week; quarter sized crack that SafeLite repaired. It's still visible but hopefully won't spread. Third one was this morning and it gave me a quarter sized crack on the driver's side. I'm starting to wonder if there's something about the shape of the car that makes it more susceptible to rocks. I drove my previous car for 12 years on the same roads and probably hit two or three rocks in all that time.

Scooty

Country
Country
Either following distance is too small. Speed is greater. Roadworks.
I should have mentioned that each time there were no other cars close by. This morning there was a pickup truck ahead of me, but it was probably 10 car lengths or more ahead. If the stone came from that truck then it must have been bouncing down the road.

"car lengths" is not a unit of any kind. One vehicle is 5m. 10 of those is 50m.
At 108km/h (65mph) vehicle is moving 30m/s. Therefore following distance is 1.6 seconds which is absolutely not acceptable.
Count the seconds when you arrive to whatever line/mark/drawing on the road after vehicle in front passed that.
zero, one, two, three. like that.

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Rocks/stones impacting windshields are random events in my world. High desert. This car doesn't seem any more or less susceptible to rocks than my other cars in my opinion (approaching 10k miles on Max now). My chip repair has held up fine and it's been about 3 months. Repair was good, a little visible in the right light but it's on the passenger side.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I hit my third rock in 1000 miles this morning. The first one was the first week; two small nicks. The second one was the second week; quarter sized crack that SafeLite repaired. It's still visible but hopefully won't spread. Third one was this morning and it gave me a quarter sized crack on the driver's side. I'm starting to wonder if there's something about the shape of the car that makes it more susceptible to rocks.
GO to any new car forum, particularly a first model year forum where owners are a little nervous, and you will find posts suggesting the windshield is somehow more susceptible to rock damage than previous cars.

My take on this phenomenon is that the laws of random averages will ensure that, out of any population of new owners numbering in the thousands, there will be one or more unlucky ones. To these unlucky few, it appears the windscreen is weaker but it's simply random coincidence.

For fun check this story out:
https://seanmunger.com/2013/11/06/t...-seattle-windshield-pitting-epidemic-of-1954/

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't even want to count how many small chips I have. Last time I checked it was six on the windshield, and a small one on the passenger window. I drive a freeway frequented by 18-wheelers so figures. I try not to get anywhere near the darn things but they're everywhere. :( Knock on wood, none have been big enough to warrant a replacement yet.

Vin

Country
Country
Sorry to hear that. I dread this scenario also, which is why I hope Tesla implements their Tesla glass in all vehicles (not just Semi).
I also tweeted Elon about the possibility of using their glass technology to coat the whole car with super strong coating, stronger than Xpel, or at least the same. I'd pay for that option in a heartbeat.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A few weeks ago a car zoomed in front on me on a highway with roadwork and caused a crack right in the line of sight of the driver.
It was repaired at Tesla (they called an auto glass contractor) for $75. I am very happy with the repair. Nearly impossible to see unless you know it is there and look for it (white marks in after pic are artifact).

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3100 miles and got my first rock-hit-the-windshield ding today. Ironically I was on my way to a local Tesla club meeting to see if there were any other Model 3s (only around 18 Model Ss and a couple of Xs). Called Allstate, it might be fixable/fillable with epoxy, if not, we'll see what happens. There are no Tesla dealers allowed in NM, I get mobile service. :(:(:( View attachment 6626
Ouch! good luck with either epoxy or replacement. Take care!

PittsFlyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got a rock chip over a month ago. I had safelite come out and they said it was not repairable as it is too close to the edge. The machine cannot get suction to inject the resin. I called Tesla and they said they would order a new windshield. He said he had no idea how long it will take and could not quote a price. It has been over a month and they still do not have any guidance or update on the timeframe or price.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got a rock chip over a month ago. I had safelite come out and they said it was not repairable as it is too close to the edge. The machine cannot get suction to inject the resin. I called Tesla and they said they would order a new windshield. He said he had no idea how long it will take and could not quote a price. It has been over a month and they still do not have any guidance or update on the timeframe or price.
When I took my Model 3 in to look at the crack they were not sure if it would be repairable so we were looking at all options. They quoted me about $1100 to replace the windshield. Fortunately, it ended up being repairable.

Nikola

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got whacked by a rock on during a roadtrip I-80 in Nebraska, near Grand Island. A crack of about 6" formed, which is too large for a repair.

We stopped immediately and called Tesla Roadside Assistance, but it was useless. I wasn't offered the option of mobile service. I offered to drive 300 miles to the Littleton CO Service Center but the Service Center doesn't have any windshields.

All they would do is email me a link to the Tesla website listing authorized repair shops. Tesla couldn't tell me if any of them would have the glass on hand. (Turns out, none of them do.)

Safelite thought they might get it delivered to Grand Island in five days, if we cared to sit there and wait instead of continuing on our trip (no thanks).

I called Tesla Service but got put on long-term hold. They called me back after 30 minutes and said I'd have to wait for the glass to be manufactured, since "no Tesla Service Centers stock Model 3 windshields". They estimated a 2 week wait.

So we will continue our roadtrip, 1000 miles from home, with a cracked windshield. The crack has since lengthened to two feet.

Tesla needs to keep Model 3 windshields in inventory at the Service Centers. When I mentioned this to the Service Center person, she said it an "unusual circumstance" for a customer to have a cracked windshield while far from home, so they don't keep them on hand. The implication seemed to be that we should have waited to hit a rock until we were conveniently at home and had 2 weeks to wait for a windshield replacement.