Windshield Replacement Cost and other repairs

He Chen

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I didn’t see a post covering the cost of a windshield replacement so I thought I would chime in. An object hit my windshield on the highway and caused a crack to run about 1/3 the latitudinal length from the driver side to the passenger side. Obviously this wouldn’t be repairable. My local Tesla service center charged me ~$897 to replace it. The labor was ~$400 and the part was ~$500. I also asked them to rotate my tires and install the Tesla wheel locks that I had purchased a while back. Both were free. They also fixed a bubbling issue on the top roof glass panel tint layer for free under warranty and re aligned the glovebox door that wasn’t flush or level. I was given a Model S 90D loaner for the duration of the service.

Nikola

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On a separate thread I shared the cost of my windshield replacement (pending): $890.

He Chen

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
On a separate thread I shared the cost of my windshield replacement (pending): $890.
I didn’t see yours when posting mine. A mod can remove this thread for duplicate post if necessary. My intention was to share the price of a part that I didn’t see yet in the forums.

Johnm6875

Country
Country
Thursday the 27th I caught a rock from opposing traffic at highway speed. It caused an immediate two foot crack. My CSAA policy covered the claim (w/ $50 Deductible). Safelight was contacted to do the work. I called the local Tesla SC to see if there were any special instructions. There weren't. I heard from Safelight today, 3 to 6 weeks for the windshield to arrive. Rats.

Nikola

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We got a shorter delivery time by working directly with the local Tesla Service Center (but still two weeks). You might check into that if there's a Service Center near you.

Johnm6875

Country
Country
We got a shorter delivery time by working directly with the local Tesla Service Center (but still two weeks). You might check into that if there's a Service Center near you.
I was at the Service Center for repair/replacement of my turn signal (typical known issue) and rear window (a weird hard to see dimple/dark spot issue that the rep said was a new one to him). We discussed the windshield (still not repaired, now three weeks). The representative indicated they do not work directly with insurance companies. Tesla would bill me for the repair and I would then seek reimbursement from my insurance company. He said windshields are in short supply. I've decided to stay with the Safelite plan since I've already been "in line" for a long time and I'm afraid having Tesla do it might put me in the back of that "line."
Tesla gave me a lovely 75D S as a loaner which is quite quick and luxurious. I like my 3.

Johnm6875

Country
Country
From the Safelite receipt: Part Subtotal (windshield) $530.00, Flat Labor $120.00, tax $38.43. They took out all the plastic pieces from the frunk, undid the mirror and wipers . . . I've had windshields replaced before but for some reason it was hard to watch this time (I think I'm a bit more emotionally invested in my Tesla). They did a good job and it looks good, now. Calibration of EAP seems unaffected.

"Only" 33 days. Glad it's done.