Windshield chipped - what can you do to protect windshield?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wife’s car had a small chip that suddenly became a large crack on a hot day. I strongly suggest fixing the little chips. My question — must the windshields be replaced by Tesla or can the local windshield repair places do it?

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wife’s car had a small chip that suddenly became a large crack on a hot day. I strongly suggest fixing the little chips. My question — must the windshields be replaced by Tesla or can the local windshield repair places do it?
The big national chains that I have researched don't yet carry Model3 windshields, so I think you'll have to go to Tesla. If anyone has found another source, I would love to hear about it.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla will not do windshield replacements. They refer it out. There are no after market windshields for the Model 3 just yet, so non-Tesla installers have to buy a windshield directly from Tesla, for now.

FRC

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. So, do We go through Tesla and let them sub it out or go to a local place and have them buy from Tesla?
Go to Tesla first. My experience in Metro Atlanta is that even an outfit as big as Safelite will not acquire the glass for you.

NYer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. So, do We go through Tesla and let them sub it out or go to a local place and have them buy from Tesla?
No, the only thing Tesla did was refer me to two places in the Bay Area. I simply did my own research on Yelp and found a place that was good not only at replacing windshields, but also chips and small cracks.

I wanted to work with one shop that did both types of repairs. Most of the shops only want the big job of replacing the windshield. That's all fine and nice, but I want to repair the windshield before replacing it altogether. I now have one shop in the Bay Area, Cal Bay Auto Glass, that I call for little fixes and entire replacements, depending upon the amount of damage.

Good questions by the way. I'm glad that my recent experience allows me to answer them.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Model 3 caught a rock kicked up by a west Texas sheriff K-9 unit on the road to Santa Fe last week. It created a pea-sized chip and spider cracks around it, probably a little larger than a nickel in total. I didn't take care of it until we were back home this week, but it didn't spread. Safelite AutoGlass did a great repair for $130 + tax. It's not invisible, but it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it--fortunately not in the line of vision for the road.

I was trying to remember the last time I had a chipped windshield in either mine or my wife's car. We think it's been about 25 years, ~300,000 miles and 6 cars since the last windshield repair or replacement. But I may have forgotten one!
[edited to fix the obvious factor-of-ten error]

Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
DIY chip repair kits seem to be a good option for a quick repair that may prevent a crack from forming.

A very small chip (2-3 mm) that happened on my way into work turned into a 2' crack on the way home - no opportunity to get it fixed before the crack appeared. After getting the windshield replaced by Tesla I went out and purchased a DIY chip repair kit, I bought the Permatex kit but there seem to be quite a few brands available. I keep the kit in my glovebox so I'll be able to do the chip repair ASAP to hopefully avoid another crack from developing.

This video shows the repair process.
ChrisFix has a newer video showing the repair process: Quite interesting!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, got the new windshield. Called and had them do it at the Nashville (Brentwood) service center. Took about 8 days to get the part. Cost was about $1000. Insurance will pay it all. There were no “local” body shops in the state of Alabama!?! Arrived about 11 AM and job was complete at 4:30. They supplied a $100 Uber voucher for us to use during the day. The job included them installing the “dual motor” badge and the carbon fiber spoiler. I am happy enough with the service, but it sure would be nice if Tesla mobile service or a local safelite, etc. could do it.

DocScott

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Driving on an interstate through Vermont, surrounded by big rigs, heard a solid thwock from an impact. A quick glance at the windshield didn't show any damage. But a couple of stops later I happened to look up through the moon roof. Oh-oh--a significant impact site with a big crack (maybe 12") radiating from it.

I called my insurance (Geico), because I have zero-deductible glass coverage. They wanted me to use Safelite. I asked about using Tesla, and they were cagey--they'd reimburse me for Tesla doing it up to whatever they thought a "fair" price would be, but wouldn't quote me that price! They said I could get Tesla to give me a quote and I could send the quote to them. Or they could call Tesla while I was on hold--we tried that, but of course the Tesla phone trees stymied them.

I've decided to call Geico back and let them set up the Safelite repair. We'll see how that goes...

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I
Do DIY glass repair kits work to fill in small pits in the glass?
I have several small pits (pinhead size or smaller) in my windshield that are annoying. They do not have associated cracks, but still reflect light in just the right conditions. I searched online and there are various DIY “Pit Repair” products, but the reviews were very mixed. So, I called the Autoglass repair shop that I use in Phoenix to get their recommendation on pit repair. They told me that they do not recommend filling “pits” in the windshield. The repairs are ineffective in reducing the visibility of the pit, and the repair does nothing unless there is an associated crack. They differentiated pits as small pockmark type damage with no associated cracks, vs chips with one or more radiating cracks. So, take that for what it’s worth.