Window Tinting In Ontario: Tips?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Mohammad

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi All,
I finally decided to tint my Model 3 here in Ontario.
I was wondering if there are any legal restrictions to tinting?
Can I tint the front windshield? What windows can I not tint if any?
What should I tell the technician when he's tinting the Model 3, since the windows go down when the door is open?
Any tips would be much appreciated especially since this is my first car.
Thanks!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I did mine at SRS tints in mississauga and I'm happy with the tints. They've done a bunch of M3s, so they have lots of experience

I'd suggest you call around and ask the tinting places about the questions you have, they know the answers off the top of their head

In general, you're allowed to go as dar as you want on rear windows, while in the front a cop needs to be able to see through them and see clearly if you're wearing a seat belt. So I don't think there's a strict rule as to which tint is legal/not-legal, they can theoretically ticket you if they say they couldn't see through clearly. But I think 35% tints on the front are generally ok. Btw, I'm no expert, but I did get a ticket once
(deservedly :)) for having too dark tints on the front .

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ontario window tint laws overview:
  • Windshield: No tint recommended.
  • Front side windows: No tint recommended.
  • Back side windows: Any tint darkness can be used.
  • Rear window: Any tint darkness can be used.
Ontario laws do not expressly specify whether front window tinting is legal or not. According to Ontario Highway Safety Act (linked below), you may not drive a vehicle if:
  • [...] any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat [...] substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle
We strongly suggest not installing window tint on windshield or front side windows, as any percentage could technically result in a fine. It’s up to an individual police officer to determine whether your tint “substantially” obscures vision in your car.
New Ontario vehicle inspection regulations state that cars manufactured after January 1st, 2017 may not have any aftermarket window tint applied to the windshield. OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) or factory-made cars can have 70% VLT (30% opacity/light block), and tinting may not extend more than 75mm from top of windshield.
Ontario law does not restrict tinting and darkness on your back side windows and rear window. Ontario’s traffic law also requires having left and right external rear view mirrors in case rear window is tinted (sec. 74.2).

https://www.tinting-laws.com/canada/ontario/

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
old thread - my 2 cents... I have a Model 3 in Ontario. I did 35% all around and it looks good. A have a few friends who are traffic cops and they said really the only time they hassle anyone with respect to tint is if they are being a dick when they get pulled over for something else.