Window Tint

Chansoo Byeon

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hi guys,

What product on the market is the best when it comes to ceramic tints?

My research shows Spectra Photo Sync IRD and Huper Optik products.

Which one is the right one to get? Where can I get them done in/near Toronto, Canada area?

DLove23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey all! I plan on doing 35% all around but was concerned about the rear window, specifically the double tinted portion. I'd like to be able to see out of that window at night. What percentage of tint would look right with 35% on the side windows but still allow night visibility through that portion of the roof? The glass roof is one of the amazing things about this car, the view it provides - and I'd like my passengers to still be able to see the stars at night if they looked up. Would 45% sufficiently darken the back window but still allow such visibility? 50%? Thanks!

Country
Country
I'm having my 3 tinted this coming Saturday. I think I'm going with 30% on the side windows (Formula One Pinnacle) but NOT doing the rear window. I agree with wanting my passengers to see out of the roof. And my OCD couldn't handle the rear window being darker than the driver's panel. :) I can always do it later if I change my mind.
I had an RX-8 with 18% tint....looked amazing but couldn't see a thing on dark back roads.
I will be sure to post some pics once its done.

DLove23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm having my 3 tinted this coming Saturday. I think I'm going with 30% on the side windows (Formula One Pinnacle) but NOT doing the rear window. I agree with wanting my passengers to see out of the roof. And my OCD couldn't handle the rear window being darker than the driver's panel. :) I can always do it later if I change my mind.
I had an RX-8 with 18% tint....looked amazing but couldn't see a thing on dark back roads.
I will be sure to post some pics once its done.
Awesome! I would definitely be interested to see how that will look! You live pretty close to me btw - I'm from the Bloomington-Normal area in Illinois. Where are you getting the tint done? I'm getting full-body PPF put on by Umbra Window Tinting the week of Sept 8.

Country
Country
Awesome! I would definitely be interested to see how that will look! You live pretty close to me btw - I'm from the Bloomington-Normal area in Illinois. Where are you getting the tint done? I'm getting full-body PPF put on by Umbra Window Tinting the week of Sept 8.
Small world...I’m also using Umbra. They seem to do good work and protect the car (covering door panel, covering chrome trim, etc.) And when asking for quotes, they were the only ones that actually read my email (not doing rear window) and didn’t just quote their website.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey all! I plan on doing 35% all around but was concerned about the rear window, specifically the double tinted portion. I'd like to be able to see out of that window at night. What percentage of tint would look right with 35% on the side windows but still allow night visibility through that portion of the roof? The glass roof is one of the amazing things about this car, the view it provides - and I'd like my passengers to still be able to see the stars at night if they looked up. Would 45% sufficiently darken the back window but still allow such visibility? 50%? Thanks!
Same situation here. I am doing 35% on side windows and debating what to do on rear. I was going to do 35% but that means the top portion is going to be much darker than the rest of the car. I was thinking 45% or 50% as well but would love to hear others' opinions who have had it done.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could anyone here help me out with recommendations or pictures of your Midnight Silver Metallic with window tint. Here are the primary things I am trying to figure out.

1) Should I tint the top glass and windshield?
2) What % for windows, rear glass, top glass looks best? This is where some photos of your MSM might help me out. Assuming these should all be the same even with my previous posts concerns.
3) If tinting the windshield, I would be nervous to do more darker than 70% and would primarily do it for the XPEL Prime XR+ heat resisting capabilities / and to remove some of what I believe would be heavy contrast from windows tinted to windshield completely clear.

I did look online and found some examples but it's hard to find pictures with the details of what % tint on what windows, etc.

Thanks for any help!

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll be doing 30% on the sides and likely 25-30% on the rear glass as it's already dark at the top and don't want it to be too dark. Oh, and a full-car PPF as well, likely in a matte finish and ceramic on top

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could anyone here help me out with recommendations or pictures of your Midnight Silver Metallic with window tint. Here are the primary things I am trying to figure out.

1) Should I tint the top glass and windshield?
2) What % for windows, rear glass, top glass looks best? This is where some photos of your MSM might help me out. Assuming these should all be the same even with my previous posts concerns.
3) If tinting the windshield, I would be nervous to do more darker than 70% and would primarily do it for the XPEL Prime XR+ heat resisting capabilities / and to remove some of what I believe would be heavy contrast from windows tinted to windshield completely clear.

I did look online and found some examples but it's hard to find pictures with the details of what % tint on what windows, etc.

Thanks for any help!
Be super careful if you get the front windshield tinted! Local shop here was careless with water and it shorted out the Tesla computer requiring replacement at the cost of $2000

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Be super careful if you get the front windshield tinted! Local shop here was careless with water and it shorted out the Tesla computer requiring replacement at the cost of $2000
Thanks for the warning! I just watched a youtube video that said the same thing. Apparently the computer and other electrical components are right under the dash and water leaking through there can easily short them out. I've read that generous use of absorption rope can prevent this, but if I talk to the shop and don't get a 100% warm and fuzzy from them I'll skip it. Not sure if it's absolutely necessary anyways.

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'll be doing 30% on the sides and likely 25-30% on the rear glass as it's already dark at the top and don't want it to be too dark. Oh, and a full-car PPF as well, likely in a matte finish and ceramic on top
Nice! My Model 3 is actually in a different detail shop right now having paint correction, PPF put on the front bumper, 4 layers of Ceramic Coating over the entire car/wheels, and Glassparency over all the glass and mirrors. They were supposed to do the tinting as well but when I dropped it off they would only tint the bottom part of the rear windshield. I had them skip the tinting and called another shop nearby that seems to have much more experience with tinting and uses XPEL Prime XR Plus, exactly what I was looking for. They quoted $650 for all glass except windshield (including top glass). Right now I am thinking 35% for all windows and rear glass and 70% for sunroof glass. If I get windshield I'll either do 70% or 80%.

Also entertaining the idea of doing 35% front side windows and 20% rear side windows and rear glass, but i think that might be too dark. I also like the idea of having an even 35% all around.

DLove23

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Small world...I’m also using Umbra. They seem to do good work and protect the car (covering door panel, covering chrome trim, etc.) And when asking for quotes, they were the only ones that actually read my email (not doing rear window) and didn’t just quote their website.
Nino is an awesome dude! (owner of Umbra)

GateFather

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks great... who did the work?
I’am getting my done this Friday
The front bumper PPF and whole car ceramic was done by a place called Dynamic Perfection in south jersey. The window tint was done by another place (not associated despite the name) called Dynamic Tint also in South Jersey. Both did great jobs. Just gave it a wash for the first time after having the work done yesterday using CarPro shampoo and it looked like new again. Loving it!