Window Tint

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
pass on the 500 upcharge, most i was quoted for the telsa upcharge was $50 more for 1 piece rear.
similar for the shop I used. I had a non-refundable $50 deposit for them to order the wider roll when I made the appointment, but no actual difference in the overall cost.

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't do it with a seam, you will regret it. (ask @SoFlaModel3 )
mine were done this weekend (but no windshield) for $450+tax. This was with the rear glass in one piece, all done in 25% Suntek ceramic.

sounds like the tint shop you are talking to just doesn't want to do the rear glass in one piece, or isn't able to. have they done other Model 3s?

View attachment 27270
I ended up going with the 1 piece, at the end I just want it to be right with no compromises.

Your right, the installer told me the 1 piece is much more difficult to install than doing 2 pieces so the guys hate doing them. He said that the Tesla glass is never exactly the same, very small differences and that their technique is to use a cheap piece of tint first to get the size then they input the exact size into the computer to cut the expensive Tint. They do loads of Teslas their and I saw a Model 3 and X in the shop when I dropped mine off this morning. They talked me into going with Gloss Wrap for the Chrome Delete instead of satin like I originally want insuring me that if I didn't like it they would redew it.

Your car looks amazing, crossing my fingers that mine comes back as good!

I'm going with 30% Formula 1 Stratos Ceramic on all the glass and Stratos 70% on the front windshield.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
mine were done this weekend (but no windshield) for $450+tax. This was with the rear glass in one piece, all done in 25% Suntek ceramic.

sounds like the tint shop you are talking to just doesn't want to do the rear glass in one piece, or isn't able to. have they done other Model 3s?

View attachment 27270
Well said!

Don’t do a seam and don’t do half of the rear either. Leave it alone or tint the full back in one piece.

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi.

Here in Finland im about to get tinting done and it costs 220€ so about 250$.

Should be done tomorrow, but my Tesla is in maintenance because battery died[emoji30]

Lähetetty minun Mi MIX 3 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear your car is having battery problems! Did they get it figured out for you? You tint price sounds like a good deal after reading what others have paid! :)

Maicki

Country
Country
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear your car is having battery problems! Did they get it figured out for you? You tint price sounds like a good deal after reading what others have paid! :)
Thank you for taking me in!
I don't know whats wrong with it yet. I only got a message where said that "some parts are ordered. Don't know how long it takes to arrive. Estimated time for service can not be given"[emoji53]

Lovesword

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you for taking me in!
I don't know whats wrong with it yet. I only got a message where said that "some parts are ordered. Don't know how long it takes to arrive. Estimated time for service can not be given"[emoji53]

Hope they get you back up and running soon.
I did see we have an area for Finland here in the forum too! Thought I’d share though you’re probably already aware of this.

Country
Country
I know there dozens of posts regarding window tinting but I wanted to share my experience. My main purpose was radiant heat reduction from the California sun.

I liked the color of Huper Optik Ceramic and the level of heat reduction even with low level tint. I had the windshield and side windows done with ceramic 70 and roof done with ceramic 20. The back window was left alone because it does not directly transfer heat to the front seat area. The ceramic 70 is barely noticeable yet reduces total solar energy (TSE) 48%. It also does not affect night vision whatsoever. Actually night visibility seems better perhaps because of reduced glare.

The roof ceramic 20 reduces TSE 70%. The car also has a Tesla roof sunscreen so getting about 90% TSE reduction compared to stock.

What a difference! If radiant heat from all the glass on your Model 3 is an issue to you and you don't what to have a dark tint, I highly recommend this setup.

Last edited:

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone else posted a before and after temperature test and tint made no difference. How are you measuring your results?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know there dozens of posts regarding window tinting but I wanted to share my experience. My main purpose was radiant heat reduction from the California sun.

I liked the color of Huper Optik Ceramic and the level of heat reduction even with low level tint. I had the windshield and side windows done with ceramic 70 and roof done with ceramic 20. The back window was left alone because it does not directly transfer heat to the front seat area. The ceramic 70 is barely noticeable yet reduces total solar energy (TSE) 50%. It also does not affect night vision whatsoever. Actually night visibility seems better perhaps because of reduced glare.

The roof ceramic 20 reduces TSE 75%. The car also has a Tesla roof sunscreen so getting about 90% TSE reduction compared to stock.

What a difference! If radiant heat from all the glass on your Model 3 is an issue to you and you don't what to have a dark tint, I highly recommend this setup.
the roof already includes IR coating and little heat comes thru it. So a 90% reduction over the stock is still a very slight difference. Most of the heat is thru the 'clear' (windshield, sides and rear) glass.

Country
Country
the roof already includes IR coating and little heat comes thru it. So a 90% reduction over the stock is still a very slight difference. Most of the heat is thru the 'clear' (windshield, sides and rear) glass.
IR is not only band that transmit heat from the sun. "Total solar energy" is a better measurement and TSER is the spec you want to look at. Hold your hand about an inch below the roof glass on a sunny day and feel the heat. I no longer can feel that heat. Also, I used to get sunburn on my bald head before and had to wear a cap to drive the car. No longer an issue.

Last edited:

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I ended up going with the 1 piece, at the end I just want it to be right with no compromises.

Your right, the installer told me the 1 piece is much more difficult to install than doing 2 pieces so the guys hate doing them. He said that the Tesla glass is never exactly the same, very small differences and that their technique is to use a cheap piece of tint first to get the size then they input the exact size into the computer to cut the expensive Tint. They do loads of Teslas their and I saw a Model 3 and X in the shop when I dropped mine off this morning. They talked me into going with Gloss Wrap for the Chrome Delete instead of satin like I originally want insuring me that if I didn't like it they would redew it.

Your car looks amazing, crossing my fingers that mine comes back as good!

I'm going with 30% Formula 1 Stratos Ceramic on all the glass and Stratos 70% on the front windshield.
@Jay79,

Let me know what you think on the Gloss vs. Satin...I’m going back and forth. Gloss has that pop but tends to look ‘plasticky’ and fake at times. Same with wheel powdercoat.

Ski

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Jay79,

Let me know what you think on the Gloss vs. Satin...I’m going back and forth. Gloss has that pop but tends to look ‘plasticky’ and fake at times. Same with wheel powdercoat.

Ski
I really like it, it pops and will match my gloss black Tsportline winter rims. The Satin looked like rubber to me so I opted for the Gloss on their recommendation. To my eyes the gloss looks very good and also looks like it came from the factory that way. Go for the gloss if you want more contrast. Everybody goes Satin it seems like, this will also be outside the norm which I also like.

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I really like it, it pops and will match my gloss black Tsportline winter rims. The Satin looked like rubber to me so I opted for the Gloss on their recommendation. To my eyes the gloss looks very good and also looks like it came from the factory that way. Go for the gloss if you want more contrast. Everybody goes Satin it seems like, this will also be outside the norm which I also like.
@Jay79,

Sounds great. What color do you have? I’m MCR. Have a few Photos?

Ski

Skione65

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country

View attachment 27270
@MelindaV,

I’m not seeing 25% in the Suntek Ceramic....only 20% and 30%. I do see 25% in Sunteks “Carbon Series”. Which did you use? Love the look. Shopping tint now. Leaning towards Expel but finding dealers is tough.

Ski

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@MelindaV,

I’m not seeing 25% in the Suntek Ceramic....only 20% and 30%. I do see 25% in Sunteks “Carbon Series”. Which did you use? Love the look. Shopping tint now. Leaning towards Expel but finding dealers is tough.

Ski
it may have been 20%. I questioned the guy that set up my install order after specifically saying ceramic not carbon and he insisted the product they had waiting for my car was the ceramic. but also the price I got seemed better than others paid for suntek ceramic also, so maybe it is the carbon at 25%. either way, I guess it doesn't matter ;)

ncsmith4

Country
Country
I recently got my windows tinted on my Model 3, to include the front windshield. The front windshield has a weird rainbow effect when the sun is off to the left or right of the car. It’s more noticeable with my sunglasses (NON-polarized) but it’s there regardless. I’ve attached a couple pics and a video so you can see what I mean. It’s subtle but it’s annoying. My best friend’s Model 3 does NOT have this effect. Thoughts? Would you say there’s something wrong with the tint?

Attachments