Window Tint

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What is the consensus on the concerns about getting the roof and windshield tinted?
Regarding the windshield tint, I would ask them how they make sure no water gets into the dash. There's a way to do that with absorbent towels or rope. If they give a mystifying answer, move on to the next shop or don't do the windshield.

Also, with windshield and front windows, check your state's laws on visible light minimums. If you violate it, at least you know.

For heat reduction, I think the most important number is TSER: Total Solar Energy Rejected. Find the specs on which options you're considering and compare. I'm leaning toward 3M Crystalline, but that's because I want as light-colored a treatment as possible commensurate with heat reduction. Here's the 3M link: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...ystalline-Series/?N=5002385+3292716668&rt=rud

Here's what appears to be a reliable Photosync spec sheet: https://www.allprowindowtinting.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/photosync_datasheet_072114.pdf Note the "after SAC activation" notes.

Last edited:
Country
Country
I got my windows tinted the other day. The tint guys talked me into going wayy darker than I would have liked. I sort of feel like a sales person for illegal substances.... In any case, I really love how it looks. It takes the 3 to another level. I always thought I wanted the chrome delete but I feel the dark windows make all the difference. I think I really like the chrome accents. Might delete later.
img_7244-jpeg.26097
img_0688-jpeg.26098
img_1619-jpeg.26099
Thoughts?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Here's some pictures of my Model 3 tint in various angles and lighting.....:D

Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle 40% on sides, rear 1-piece and sunroof + Stratos 70% on the windshield.

View attachment 15871
hey neighbor, i'm in branchburg, where did you get the tint done? a well recommended place in hillsborough would only do the rear in 2 pieces or 1 piece up to the defroster line so i passed.

also, greg is awesome at signature detail, i had to cancel my first appointment since i wanted tesla to fix some panel issues before i had greg do the front end.

hydrofied714

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got my windows tinted the other day. The tint guys talked me into going wayy darker than I would have liked. I sort of feel like a sales person for illegal substances.... In any case, I really love how it looks. It takes the 3 to another level. I always thought I wanted the chrome delete but I feel the dark windows make all the difference. I think I really like the chrome accents. Might delete later. View attachment 26097 View attachment 26098 View attachment 26099 Thoughts?
What brand tint is that? Any issues seeing at night?

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think this was already referenced upthread, but for those who wish to remain legal, there are multiple sites that provide the tint laws in all 50 states, like this one. Note that front windshield tints, with the exception of the upper portion, are illegal in all 50 states. I'm gonna do it anyway (with 70% VLT Photosync IRD) and plead ignorance if DPS pulls me over. It can always come off. Also note that windshield tinting is tricky on a Tesla due to electronics in the dash, so make sure your shop knows how to handle that. Sorry if this is obvious & repetitive.

hydrofied714

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone with pics of a slightly lighter rear windshield tint vs the side windows? I wanted 25% all around but they ran out of the big 60" roll so they can only do 25% sides + 30% rear windshield. I don't think it'll be that noticeable but it still might bother me.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think it would be a very noticeable difference.
for instance, the car pix below has 15 on the back glass and back passenger windows and 35 on the front passenger windows. the difference between 15-35 is much more significant than 25-30, and you can obviously tell the front passenger windows are lighter, it's not that obvious. and if the difference was only on the rear window, I don't think even the 15-35 would be obvious.

hydrofied714

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think it would be a very noticeable difference.
for instance, the car pix below has 15 on the back glass and back passenger windows and 35 on the front passenger windows. the difference between 15-35 is much more significant than 25-30, and you can obviously tell the front passenger windows are lighter, it's not that obvious. and if the difference was only on the rear window, I don't think even the 15-35 would be obvious.
Yea you're probably right. It's just one those OCD things that bothers someone once they know it's there. I'm sure if they did it without telling me I probably wouldn't even notice.

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
hey neighbor, i'm in branchburg, where did you get the tint done? a well recommended place in hillsborough would only do the rear in 2 pieces or 1 piece up to the defroster line so i passed.

also, greg is awesome at signature detail, i had to cancel my first appointment since i wanted tesla to fix some panel issues before i had greg do the front end.
Burrito - where did you end up getting your tint done? I couldn't find a place for the front window, but now I'm thinking about putting some 80% on the front window and top glass due to heat I've felt in the middle of the day 80+ degree drives. I ended up going with AutoAction, who did a decent job on the sides and rear - but were not as good as other shops that charge more.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i was going to actually go to autoaction but after expanding my search i went with a buff & beyond in cranbury, the shop is immaculate, nick the owner was super awesome to deal with, and the millions of dollars of cars in their possession was confidence inspiring. they had an amazing ferrari 458 speciale aperta getting the works when i got there.

i did my whole car in 35% xpel and 70% front windshield.

It was cloudy so all windows look a bit darker but I’m very happy overall

Interior pictures shows the moon roof (did not tint) on the left versus the rear glass at 35%

Other picture is looking out from inside
7e7971c9-431e-45a0-9e04-3bf2d4c6bf13-jpeg.27136
91ac29c1-3af5-4cb2-a4f7-7abc01e1a36a-jpeg.27138
b205709d-dff4-44ed-abfe-ee8e8c869e21-jpeg.27139

ffdfe86b-f6ff-4321-9bf3-cd983cecddf0-jpeg.27140

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
some of it is the pictures exposure but mainly due to the rear glass has a factory tint gradient applied. the bottom 1/3 is almost untinted from the factory, so that part looks like my side windows and as it goes up to the roofline it gets darker

Maicki

Country
Country
So does Tesla offer window tinting as an option? If not, what has the cost been for some of you guys to get the tinting done?
Hi.

Here in Finland im about to get tinting done and it costs 220€ so about 250$.

Should be done tomorrow, but my Tesla is in maintenance because battery died[emoji30]

Lähetetty minun Mi MIX 3 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got a quote for Formula 1 Stratos tint for $850 for all the glass including the Windshield. He said if I wanted the rear glass done in 1 piece it would be an additional $500! This seems like a crazy high upcharge for using another roll he already has in stock. What do you guys think? I'm afraid the seam will drive me nuts if I don't do rear in 1 piece.

Scubastevo80

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just got a quote for Formula 1 Stratos tint for $850 for all the glass including the Windshield. He said if I wanted the rear glass done in 1 piece it would be an additional $500! This seems like a crazy high upcharge for using another roll he already has in stock. What do you guys think? I'm afraid the seam will drive me nuts if I don't do rear in 1 piece.
I’d take that price for a quality install for all glass and windshield vs the $550 I paid for 1pc rear windshield and all side windows with pinnacle. I agree the upcharge is a joke. The shop I used did a better job on my rear window than they did in the sides where the gaps from the top vary.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't do it with a seam, you will regret it. (ask @SoFlaModel3 )
mine were done this weekend (but no windshield) for $450+tax. This was with the rear glass in one piece, all done in 25% Suntek ceramic.

sounds like the tint shop you are talking to just doesn't want to do the rear glass in one piece, or isn't able to. have they done other Model 3s?

img_3391-jpg.27270