Window hit chrome frame when closing

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Twice I opened the door from the outside on the passenger side and when closing it hit the frame putting a nice scratch in the chrome. This happened on the front and rear doors. The only way to close it was to manually lower the window. Both times I was not getting in the car but just opened it and then shut it a few seconds later.

Most of the time it works fine, however I am worried when someone gets in and slams it shut it might be a problem. Both times the car was not on/running.

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most of the time. Just not those times or not enough. It was able to open no problem not sure if it didnt lower all the way or went back up.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I made this video, but I haven’t seen the window come close in my car outside of forcing the window all the way up.

As an aside Tesla charges $212 for the replacement piece :(

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I made this video, but I haven’t seen the window come close in my car outside of forcing the window all the way up.

As an aside Tesla charges $212 for the replacement piece :(

I saw your video before. All I did was open the back door to show someone how to use the handle and softly close it and wham. I wonder if I can polish it out. The other passenger door is just a speck close to the mirror. If it keeps happening I will have to bring it in for service but it is a pain being an hour away. If no other problems, I will save it for my winter tire installation.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw your video before. All I did was open the back door to show someone how to use the handle and softly close it and wham. I wonder if I can polish it out. The other passenger door is just a speck close to the mirror. If it keeps happening I will have to bring it in for service but it is a pain being an hour away. If no other problems, I will save it for my winter tire installation.
If the chrome trim is scratched there is no fixing it, but if that happened without doing what I did in my video then something is wrong with your car and they should fix the issue and replace the trim with no charge.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
even if you do not go in for an appointment, at least call and let them know it is not consistently lowering the window and has scratched the trim. Not just for your car to be fixed but so Tesla can track issues and make it better for all of us. so think of my car, if not yours ;)

ethdragon

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Twice I opened the door from the outside on the passenger side and when closing it hit the frame putting a nice scratch in the chrome. This happened on the front and rear doors. The only way to close it was to manually lower the window. Both times I was not getting in the car but just opened it and then shut it a few seconds later.

Most of the time it works fine, however I am worried when someone gets in and slams it shut it might be a problem. Both times the car was not on/running.
I have the same problem on the rear door of the passage side. It lowered a tiny bit, when I closed the door it scratched the chrome trim piece. Made me feel heartbreaking to see the scratches. It happened to me twice. So far it only happened when I park my car for a while and directly open the rear door.

Nik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had this happen to me yesterday in my 10-day old M3. I opened the front door normally, got in, closed the door, and heard a sound I never want to hear again. I manually rolled down the window and inch or so, opened the door and inspected my chrome and, as I feared, there is a gouge in the chrome right above the rear-view mirror.
It seemed as though the car hadn't fully "woken up" and didn't roll down the window when I opened the door.
What really pisses me off is that I was super careful with this issue when getting the windows tinted and made sure the installer knew about the issue and did everything required to avoid it. Then it happens during normal use when I was using it as intended. I've driven it several days since getting the tint done without issue until yesterday (the tint was put on 5 days prior so it wasn't caused by the installation).

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had this happen to me yesterday in my 10-day old M3. I opened the front door normally, got in, closed the door, and heard a sound I never want to hear again. I manually rolled down the window and inch or so, opened the door and inspected my chrome and, as I feared, there is a gouge in the chrome right above the rear-view mirror.
It seemed as though the car hadn't fully "woken up" and didn't roll down the window when I opened the door.
What really pisses me off is that I was super careful with this issue when getting the windows tinted and made sure the installer knew about the issue and did everything required to avoid it. Then it happens during normal use when I was using it as intended. I've driven it several days since getting the tint done without issue until yesterday (the tint was put on 5 days prior so it wasn't caused by the installation).
this is on a front door? This is the first I’ve heard of a front door hitting. I thought it was only the geometry of the rear doors that if the glass was up would gouge the chrome.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Early Mercedes SLK’s were frameless without moving and, in my experience, had seal issues.
I’ve owned 4 cars to date, all frameless that did not roll down when a door opened without leaks except the 1967, and for all I know, it may have not leaked when it was less than 20 years old

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve owned 4 cars to date, all frameless that did not roll down when a door opened without leaks except the 1967, and for all I know, it may have not leaked when it was less than 20 years old
What about the sound quality of the seal?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What about the sound quality of the seal?
(except for the 1967...) have never had any issue with noise resulting from the window seals.
each car had similar weather stripping at the interior as what Tesla does, plus a smaller flexible piece that the window would pass when opening/closing that sits at the outside of the glass when the door is closed. I would say my convertible has less wind and road noise than my sister's car with full frame doors.

Golden Gate

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A variation of this just happened to me and thankfully I had seen this thread so wasn't totally freaked out... I couldn't exit the driver side because the window didn't go down far enough. This was of course when I was demo'ing my car to a friend who wants to buy one.... then 5 mins later Summon wouldn't connect (software is 32.2) so needless to say the friend was a little less interested in buying a model 3 after that...

I "fixed" the window by rolling all the way down and back up, which I had read here re-sets the window... bummed. Right now the app is having trouble connecting to my car giving an "unknown error" when you try to connect.

Alan c

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just got my model 3, 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, I opened the door like usual, noticed a funny sound, closed the door, and heard a nasty sound of the window hitting the chrome. Then I realized, that the window did not go down a half inch like usual, and therefore when it closed, struck the chrome. This was no fault of mine, the window didn’t go down like it normally does when you open the door. I have an appointment with the service center for other mild imperfections that I noticed on delivery that they are supposed to fix, so I will address this with them and let you know what I find out. I love the car, but this was disappointing.

Model3VT

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
1 WEEK after delivery: I was closing the back passenger door and somehow the rear window was ALL the way up and it scratched the chrome. I have read about this when people are having their windows tinted but that was not happening and I could not recreate the window staying up. I opened and closed that door many times again to try to figure out how the window could have been up while the door was open and still, it makes no sense. I, at least, see that I am not alone. I am glad that I am the one that shut the door rather than someone else in my family so I know exactly what did (or did not) happen. Note: this is posted on another thread.