Window Fogging up

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Quick question anyone has an issue with the windows fogging up? what is your tricks to prevent this I was in a big downpour yesterday and it seemed to never end? I never had this issue with my VW/audis.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dumb question: Was defog/defrost on? Having the windshield on the blue defog setting deals with most everything for me - and red defog when it's frosted up.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Dumb question: Was defog/defrost on? Having the windshield on the blue defog setting deals with most everything for me - and red defog when it's frosted up.
yeah, I tried both settings seemed like a vicious cycle.

edit i should add it was a Florida storm so about high 70s and very humid and rainy but it was truly annoying for 30 minutes :)

edit 2 all storms should have humidity :)

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Blue should be enough de-humidify to keep up with 100% humidity on a chilly window. Might be a problem with your compressor.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ill try it next time if it happens again ill contact mobile service I figured it was an early run problem.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What did you have the temperature set to?

If you have it too cold, then water will condense on the outside of the now-cold windshield. Turning up the temp to high 60s should help prevent that.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Is it fogging on the inside or outside?
Do the wipers get rid of it temporarily?

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
not sure I'm thinking inside and yeah i keep pushing the manual button every 10-15 seconds

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah, the outside the windscreen fogging up. Adjust the vent output slowly upward and downward with the wipers on until the fogging starts to diminish. It's the "cross cut" air flow (the part that comes out vertically) that fogs the windscreen.

Reliev

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
ok ill try it next time thanks but typically in my other cars it wasn't as crazy

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
only time I've ever seen the AC cause condensation on the outside of a car window was in FL. my passenger and I were both wondering what kind of crazy Florida humidity was ;)
I've had this happen on hot & humid days in PA. But usually, it happens when I have the temp set under 60 with AC on. I either need to raise the temp or get it to stop blowing on the windshield to "fix" it. But the quick & temporary fix is to just run the wipers.

Johnston

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had this happen on hot & humid days in PA. But usually, it happens when I have the temp set under 60 with AC on. I either need to raise the temp or get it to stop blowing on the windshield to "fix" it. But the quick & temporary fix is to just run the wipers.
It occurs for on on hot and humid days when it rains. It fogs up almost immediately after wipes.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah, the outside the windscreen fogging up. Adjust the vent output slowly upward and downward with the wipers on until the fogging starts to diminish. It's the "cross cut" air flow (the part that comes out vertically) that fogs the windscreen.
This is correct. It's most likely to happen if you have the air direction set to split around you, which means less resistance for the vertical air flow to reach the windshield right in your line of sight. You can fix it by changing to a direct stream or going to floor vents. I haven't tried keeping the split and changing the direction to point all the way down, but that might work since it would reduce the vertical air flow.

It's really an unanticipated design flaw with how the system works. They should have directed the vertical vents towards the headliner instead of the windshield. I thought about reporting it, but that seems like it would be too big of a hardware change.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's really an unanticipated design flaw with how the system works. They should have directed the vertical vents towards the headliner instead of the windshield. I thought about reporting it, but that seems like it would be too big of a hardware change.
It might not require new hardware! I played with the vents one day and discovered it has more than 90 degrees in each direction. All they have to do is find different intersecting angles so it doesn't hit the windscreen.