Wind noise reduction by RPM Tesla?

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I didn't do it for wind noise, but I had ice form in the gap and could hear it crackling as I took turns. It didn't feel good. I think it looks a tiny bit better. If it helps wind just a little, great. You'd have to measure it to detect any difference.
I can't say it prevented ice crackling in the gap yet, since it's not been exposed to those conditions again since.

I think the company is perfectly fine.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have one of these I ordered from RPM Tesla before I got my car. I even "tried" to install it, which was basically me, by myself, cursing as each time I pulled from one side, the other side came out. Then, I drove on the highway and honestly I don't think there's a need for this. I think the only reason people here wind noise at all is that there's no ICE noise. I'm able to listen to music at regular volume, carry on conversations, etc., all without issue.

If anyone wants it, and wants to send me postage via Zelle, I'd be happy to send it anywhere in the US. Would be happy for someone to use it. Isn't worth my time to return it.

BTW, I spent over $500 w/RPM Tesla - bought CF spoiler, mirror caps, door handle wraps, and metal pedals - and had a great experience. The how-to videos are perfect and the shipping was prompt (I paid extra to expedite). I've seen the stuff on Reddit, etc. and I don't know where that comes from... it's probably trolls. I'd order from RPM again in a heartbeat.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have one of these I ordered from RPM Tesla before I got my car. I even "tried" to install it, which was basically me, by myself, cursing as each time I pulled from one side, the other side came out. Then, I drove on the highway and honestly I don't think there's a need for this. I think the only reason people here wind noise at all is that there's no ICE noise. I'm able to listen to music at regular volume, carry on conversations, etc., all without issue.

If anyone wants it, and wants to send me postage via Zelle, I'd be happy to send it anywhere in the US. Would be happy for someone to use it. Isn't worth my time to return it.

BTW, I spent over $500 w/RPM Tesla - bought CF spoiler, mirror caps, door handle wraps, and metal pedals - and had a great experience. The how-to videos are perfect and the shipping was prompt (I paid extra to expedite). I've seen the stuff on Reddit, etc. and I don't know where that comes from... it's probably trolls. I'd order from RPM again in a heartbeat.
It was my experience that they had some issues in the past. I have ordered (and returned) items from RPM over the last year. My take is a year ago with the initial volume of Model 3 deliveries and their efforts to bring new products to market they got overwhelmed. I believe they addressed this over time with a larger facility and more staff. My last order was very prompt and communication was much improved.

Magnets!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Jason, I'll take you up on the offer. PM me your email and shipping amount and I'll send you a zelle with my address. Thanks.

MMMGP

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...BTW, I spent over $500 w/RPM Tesla - bought CF spoiler, mirror caps, door handle wraps, and metal pedals - and had a great experience. The how-to videos are perfect and the shipping was prompt (I paid extra to expedite). I've seen the stuff on Reddit, etc. and I don't know where that comes from... it's probably trolls. I'd order from RPM again in a heartbeat.
I agree. I too spent some cash with RPM. They shipped out the items quickly and were well packaged. They also responded to my emails quickly. I’ll shop there again.

Chuckie

Country
Country

I got the RPM Tesla kit from Jason (thanks a ton for your generosity!) and installed it last night. Had to stretch it quite a bit but with a little bit of work, I was able to get it into the all of the gaps.

On the drive to work this morning, the wind noise is a little more subdued. It is definitely still present but better now. To me the the car looks nicer so even if the wind noise suppression is not that much, its still a worthwhile upgrade.

I have been working on some other projects to help with the noise:

Noico sound deadening insulation on frunk hood, frunk tub, front doors, trunk hood, trunk bottom, and under the floor mats
Toughpro rubber floor mats and frunk/trunk mats

So far the road noise is still bothersome so the quest continues...

My next project is adding some seals to the doors.

StevePopiel

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Got my wind noise reduction kit a week or so ago. Installation was relatively straightforward, but you really do have to stretch it to get it to go down into the gap between the rear and top window. In the meantime, a crease seems to have developed on the material in that gap. Not sure if I stretched it too much there, but overall, I think it looks better with it installed.

img_0828-jpg.21195

img_0829-jpg.21196

img_0830-jpg.21197

img_0831-jpg.21198

As far as wind noise reduction goes, I honestly wasn't expecting much. Upon the first few drives, I thought I noticed a slight decrease in wind noise but wasn't able to measure it until now. My non scientific test results seem to bear this out. I tested before and after on the same stretch of road at around 65 mph under the same wind and weather conditions. Record #1 is "before" and record #3 is "after". Looks like the average noise reduction was about 2.4 dBZ, which works out to be 23% quieter.

img_0836-jpg.21199

img_0838-jpg.21200

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I was worried about stretching out the right amount of material.

So what I did is fold it in half and place it diagonally from corner to corner and held each corner in with painters tape.
Then I pulled the other two corners and taped those down.

Then I worked it in. The way the Video shows installing it, you could end up with way too much material or way to little by the time you get to the end.
This method helps distribute the right amount on each face.

Only issue I have is the joint doesn't want to sit down in the slot (much like your photo). I might remove it and try to find the deepest point and put the joint there.

The rest has stayed and looks perfect (been on for like 90 days or so).

Thanks for the measurements.

I'd ask for another one, that looks defective to me in your 2nd to last photo. I don't think over-stretching it would cause that crease. I've read they are generally pretty good about supporting their stuff.

groovetesla

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've had nothing but a good experience with them. Fast shipping on both of my orders and replaced an item for free for me.

StevePopiel

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
a sampling of just a single drive with and without probably has more than a 23% error rate though. would be nice to see at least the average of 5 or 10 drives of each
Guess I should've been more clear. I did many tests on that stretch of road both before and after as I drive it almost daily. The posted results are representative of all those tests combined. In general I noticed a decrease of between 2-3 dBZ between all the before and after tests. Again, it's just enough to be noticeable, but nothing earth shattering.

Chuckie

Country
Country
Guess I should've been more clear. I did many tests on that stretch of road both before and after as I drive it almost daily. The posted results are representative of all those tests combined. In general I noticed a decrease of between 2-3 dBZ between all the before and after tests. Again, it's just enough to be noticeable, but nothing earth shattering.
I don't have measurements but I would say that this is probably about what I am getting also. It's interesting but some of the noise that I though was road noise actually may be a little bit of wind noise. In my case, the majority of the loudness is still road noise on freeways so the wind noise reduction while nice is not the main issue.

StevePopiel

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't have measurements but I would say that this is probably about what I am getting also. It's interesting but some of the noise that I though was road noise actually may be a little bit of wind noise. In my case, the majority of the loudness is still road noise on freeways so the wind noise reduction while nice is not the main issue.
Agreed, but I think the wind and road noise is more noticeable because of the absence of any engine noise. You just notice it more because it's so quiet, at least initially at low speeds.

Last edited:

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ran across these "wind noise reduction kits" and was wondering what the general consensus is on them. RPM says they were the first to come up with one - https://www.rpmtesla.com/collection...s/model-3-windshield-wind-noise-reduction-kit. And I see two others on Amazon. I'd noticed the large gaps between the glass plates and didn't understand why Tesla didn't fill them in. Most cars use a "T" shaped rubber insert to fill voids like that, but Tesla has left them open. Personally I think it would be better to fill the gaps with a black silicone RTV since it would stretch and compress with the plates. Any comments on these "fixes"?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I've had mine since November.. The bad side, on the front, it keeps flying out and you can see it when you are driving down the road by looking up through the glass. Thus, you have to stop and shove it back down into the crack. It hasn't flown out completely yet but it is annoying. I use a credit card to shove it in the cracks and it appears to be well seated.. But it will pop out every so often 😠😡 back to shoving it in the crack...

Klaus-rf

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After reading most of this thread a couple months back, I installed helicopter tape (6mil, 1" wide, clear) over the upper glass gaps. No idea if it's quieter than without. But it can't be louder, Right?

Note the glass pieces are not even or straight and the corners and sides are not finished/polished at all. So there's no easy way to make the tape look finished at the sides / corners. Also note the middle-to-rear glass width is ~47" wide while the middle glass-to-front windscreen is about 50" wide.

Total cost: ~$20 in parts and 30 minutes in cleaning / installing / stretching the tape. I taped both the front-to-middle and middle-to-read glasses.

Some pics.
img_8274-jpg.26662
img_8285-jpg.26663
img_8292-jpg.26664
img_8297-jpg.26665

Last edited: