Wind noise reduction by RPM Tesla?

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the reason that I just bought this: drag. Gap filling is a time-honoured means to reduce aero drag. I couldn't care less about any wind noise (not having my car yet, I don't know whether it will be bad or not... am guessing "not").

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
4 pages of dialog for a $29 item :tearsofjoy: I mean, really?

People saying a hollow piece of soft rubber will crack their top glass :sob:

Everyone just spent between 50-80 thousand dollars for their car and this super cheap item is creating all this back and forth concern. Its just funny and confusing to me. Excuse me while I go spend more than half of the cost for this item on todays lunch...lol
For me it isn't/wasn't a cost concern. I was just curious if this actually did anything, but at the end of the day 2 things stopped me from pulling the trigger. (1) the company, they have bad customer service and (2) I don't like the way it looks.

Jditom

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There is nothing to rust underneath. Between the glass is so thigh fitting that I doubt any water will get in there.
I live in Oregon and I am not concerned.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the reason that I just bought this: drag. Gap filling is a time-honoured means to reduce aero drag. I couldn't care less about any wind noise (not having my car yet, I don't know whether it will be bad or not... am guessing "not").
I want to fill the gap for two reasons:

1) I park under a lot of evergreen trees in multiple places. While the needles come out pretty easily with a spray from the hose, I'm worried about the acidity in between washings. Because evergreen "tea" is acidic and it rains a lot in the rainforest.

2) Aero drag. Hey, pretty minimal, but why not. I love the way the Model 3 already slips effortlessly through the air, coasts and picks up speed down mountain passes, the more the merrier!

I don't notice much wind noise so I don't expect much improvement there. But the videos I've seen on RPM Tesla make me think the fit might not be tight enough to keep out the needles. Maybe I need a larger diameter or a firmer product.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Do we really need this? How much will the drag reduce?

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Of course not. If it was necessary, Tesla would have included it. It would only make a tiny difference in drag. I don't think you could even measure it in day-to-day driving. But the gain would be there nevertheless.
I’ll take the gain but one question, do you think tesla engineers left the gap between two glass panels for a reason? How does that kit perform when it’s summer and it’s extremely hot outside.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Do we really need this? How much will the drag reduce?
Do you "need" range? And faster charge times in mph/kph? And fewer cycles on your battery? Of course you probably don't physically need the gain, but why wouldn't you want a couple percent better aero coefficient, for a trivial amount of money? Wouldn't be surprised if the range boost was at least 5 miles or so.

Sealing or taping panel gaps helps keep the airstream laminar.

Last edited:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ll take the gain but one question, do you think tesla engineers left the gap between two glass panels for a reason?
Mostly because having the glass panels touch would cause pressure points when the body flexes, and that could cause the glass to crack.

A solution like this is somewhat temporary. I would only expect this item to last 2-3 years before it starts to get brittle from sun exposure. That's also why manufacturer's don't try to fill panel (and glass) gaps in this manner - the constant exposure to the elements turns them into a "wear" item in need of periodic replacement.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Or did you mean how they included useless, dim lights all over the car? :p
I can understand why people want brighter lights and think they're better, but it really depends on your common usage. Bright lights will mess up your night vision, and it will take your eyes a while to adjust again after they've been turned off. Dim lights can be preferred for this reason. I have chosen to keep the OEM lights because of this.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Like how they included lugnuts and wheel locks? Or did you mean how they included useless, dim lights all over the car? :p
I can understand why people want brighter lights and think they're better, but it really depends on your common usage. Bright lights will mess up your night vision, and it will take your eyes a while to adjust again after they've been turned off. Dim lights can be preferred for this reason. I have chosen to keep the OEM lights because of this.
Agree on the lights but @groovetesla is 100% right here. OEMs do not always make the best (or only) choices and there is nothing wrong with an aftermarket accessory or product that solves. In this case I’m just not sure this product actually does anything :p

StevePopiel

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just ordered one. Not scientific but will measure my interior vehicle noise with my iPhone and the app "Decibel X Pro" before and after and post the results. Not really expecting any difference so will be pleasantly surprised if there is one. I do however like the way it looks, at least in the pics and installation video. BTW, an interesting tidbit....I fly Airbus A320's for a major airline and those cockpits are considered one of the more quieter ones at cruise altitudes. Before I tested, I could have sworn that the Tesla was quieter, but turns out the noise levels are almost identical for cruise in the mid 30 thousand feet altitudes in the plane, and driving on a typical highway at around 60-70 mph in my Model 3.