Will this put a dent in resale?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla Remotely Removes Autopilot Features From Customer's Used Tesla Without Any Notice
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-remotely-removes-autopilot-features-from-customer-1841472617

In summary, this article written by the senior editor for Jalopnik reports about a used Model S that was purchased with EAP and FSD. The current owner apparently has the Monroney sticker clearly stating that FSD and EAP are features included in this car. However, after purchasing the vehicle, it is reported that Tesla took the features away remotely stating that he never paid for them.

Now, I was under the impression that once you’ve paid for these features (I paid at time of purchasing my Model 3), they are part of the car for good.

If there is a risk that these features will be taken away from the new owner when I sell my car, I speculate that this will significantly and negatively affect resale value.

I would love to hear thoughts from this amazingly thoughtful community on this. Should we be concerned?

edit: typo

DanSz

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
The sticker is proof it should be on the car. If Tesla does this to every car that changes hands, they will clearly be sued UNLESS Tesla updates some user agreement stating that SW enhancements only belong to the buyer not the new owner.

It’s underhanded and dirty, but entirely possible. It‘s a move to licenses of software features that cannot be transferred By buyers. Whether or not it’s legal, I wouldn’t know.

We know that they are doing this to cars that are sold through Tesla itself. it’s a way of selling Autopilot multiple times for a single car every time it changes hands.

The only thing Missing on this story is a tweet to Elon.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The article indicates that the car had Full Self Drive but it was never paid for and shouldn’t have been included in the first place.

Now with that said, I can’t defend retroactively removing functionality that was inadvertently added to a vehicle. It should be reinstated on that car unless there is more to the story that we do not know (and on some level I fully expect that there is).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This car was a "Lemon Law" buy-back, and was sold used at auction. Tesla generally removes FSD from used cars that they take in trade before selling them as used. It sounds like they meant to do so for this car as well, but screwed up. Unless there's more to this story (which wouldn't surprise me), Tesla should admit it was their mistake and give FSD back to this car.

When I read the OP, he left out that this was a lemon-law buyback. AFAIK, Tesla has never removed EAP or FSD from a used car where the transaction did not involve Tesla. So I'm not worried about this affecting my ability to sell my car with FSD.

Last edited:

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Though the article didn't say, I was under the impression that the previous owner might have been given a replacement Tesla, and their AP and FSD purchases transferred over to it as a courtesy. Which would mean the lemon-law buyback now has AP and FSD that was never paid for, and Tesla forgot to turn it off.

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This car was a "Lemon Law" buy-back, and was sold used at auction. Tesla generally removes FSD from used cars that they take in trade before selling them as used. It sounds like they meant to do so for this car as well, but screwed up. Unless there's more to this story (which wouldn't surprise me), Tesla should admit it was their mistake and give FSD back to this car.

When I read the OP, he left out that this was a lemon-law buyback. AFAIK, Tesla has never removed EAP or FSD from a used car where the transaction did not involve Tesla. So I'm not worried about this affecting my ability to sell my car with FSD.
Yes, I did inadvertently leave that fact out, that this was a lemon law buy back. This makes me feel a little better. Thanks for Clarifying Garsh. I would just hope that a somewhat high profile article like this on a general car blog wouldn’t put a notion into the general car market that FSD and EAP won’t be guaranteed to transfer over when buying a used Tesla. At the time of selling, maybe it would be helpful to somehow get confirmation from Tesla that these software features will in fact go to the new owner.

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Though the article didn't say, I was under the impression that the previous owner might have been given a replacement Tesla, and their AP and FSD purchases transferred over to it as a courtesy. Which would mean the lemon-law buyback now has AP and FSD that was never paid for, and Tesla forgot to turn it off.
Unless, Tesla is doing things differently, I thought that lemon law buybacks consisted of cash back.

FurryOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Jalopnik has an article (parroted by Slashdot) about a Model S bought by a Dealer with Autopilot & FSD invoiced, where the AP & FSD was removed after the Dealer resold the car to a buyer. The Dealer also says Tesla removed Ludicrous mode from a car he sold to his Father-in-law 2 months after he sold it. The article has photos of the original invoice from Tesla that shows AP & FSD listed as paid options.

This smells like one hell of a lawsuit in the making, since Tesla removed an already paid for option. What's next?... Tesla Service comes out and removes the optional wheels when you resell your car? If I pay $2K for the speed option on my Model 3 will they disable it if I resell my car?

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-remotely...es-from-customer-1841472617?rev=1580941196331

potatoee

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting I wrote an email to the about the missing information discussed here. Sensational title without the necessary research. Intentional clickbait?