Will Tesla produce the Single Motor RWD Cybertruck for $39,900?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Will Tesla produce a base model, single-motor Cybertruck for $39,900?

• Total voters

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Elon just announced that Tesla will NOT be making the Standard Range RWD Model Y.
He sites a range of under 250 miles as being "unacceptably low".

The single motor RWD Cybertruck is currently advertised as having a range of "250+ miles".
Do you think Tesla will actually produce it?
Or will they cancel this low-range version as well?

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think the preorder numbers would be low enough on the base that they’d cancel it and direct users to the (current) mid tier trim. I read that the average ICE pickup purchase is over $50k; so I can see Tesla using that as the new base model.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think the preorder numbers would be low enough on the base that they’d cancel it and direct users to the (current) mid tier trim. I read that the average ICE pickup purchase is over $50k; so I can see Tesla using that as the new base model.
I think that would be a mistake. Tesla pre-orders are only going to reflect personal purchases. But trucks sell really well to businesses - especially 2wd trucks. So unlike previous Teslas, I think the base-model truck could be incredibly popular as a fleet-sale vehicle.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think that would be a mistake. Tesla pre-orders are only going to reflect personal purchases. But trucks sell really well to businesses - especially 2wd trucks. So unlike previous Teslas, I think the base-model truck could be incredibly popular as a fleet-sale vehicle.
Agreed, but don't see Tesla with volume capacity to produce enough for fleet sales. They'd be better off initially selling the higher trim one and then years down the line produce a more cost effective version.

serpico007

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
I know we think it won't be built but I can see it being offered offline. Tesla did it for Canada where you could call in and order a 150km software locked range model 3 to meet rebates and credits.

Oyster Bait

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
First I've heard of this. According to all the cop shows, I need corroboration.

Anyone had experience?

I know we think it won't be built but I can see it being offered offline. Tesla did it for Canada where you could call in and order a 150km software locked range model 3 to meet rebates and credits.