Will Tesla meet their Model 3 release dates

mservice

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I’ve noted in the recent days some of the people who appeared to be early early reservations holders are finding that their October - December estamated reservation dates have slipped on the Tesla site from their original date to November - January. My January - March is still the same as of this post. So, is this a sign or are theses posts even real?

Model34mePlease

Country
Country
Production is up. 260 produced, 220 delivered. http://ir.tesla.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1042449

I note that the release only says that Tesla understands "what needs to be fixed", not that the recalcitrant manufacturing subsystems ARE fixed. Thus current production is still operating at a slower rate of speed consistent with these production numbers. I'm sure they will work this out over time ("in the near-term"), but it doesn't bode well for delivery to non-employees/non-owners this calendar year.

mservice

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I would guess that with the production numbers my estamated delivery between January - March could be a lot closer to March:(

Thomas Mikl

Country
Country
Before everyone gets into panic mode, some car industry insight again:
Such things are not uncommon, I know a car brand that had its driver seat come off and had to hand re-bolt it for the first 1000 cars.
Once the issue was solved and the machines activated right, they shot from 30 cars a week to 2000 in almost an instant.

Also and sorry to say this, but early production models, even when they are building 1000 a week, will still have defects. There might be burn marks on the paint, silicone behind your dash to fix rattling and what not. It usually takes 20-30k cars to iron out all that minor problems that are handfixed and checked at outgoing quality gates and then they go from 2k cars a week to more and more.

And even to burst your bubble further. Even you newest Model S or X will have defects. But they will be very very minor and with any luck you will never see them. There might be slight swirls in the paint that will go away after the first detailing, there might be minor imperfections in sealents at places you never see and so on...

But do not worry, every Porsche, Ferrari, Bugatti etc. has those too.
I actually talked to someone at Lamborghini on day and he told me one out of 3 Avantadors was not handed over to the customer but to a detailing shop right out of the factory. That shop would then basically disassemble and detail every panel to perfection. Which is something they cannot do for the cost even that car as sometimes the costs for doing it are 30-35% of the cars price.

Reactions: 3 people

mservice

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
:p:p
Before everyone gets into panic mode, some car industry insight again:
Such things are not uncommon, I know a car brand that had its driver seat come off and had to hand re-bolt it for the first 1000 cars.
Once the issue was solved and the machines activated right, they shot from 30 cars a week to 2000 in almost an instant.

Also and sorry to say this, but early production models, even when they are building 1000 a week, will still have defects. There might be burn marks on the paint, silicone behind your dash to fix rattling and what not. It usually takes 20-30k cars to iron out all that minor problems that are handfixed and checked at outgoing quality gates and then they go from 2k cars a week to more and more.

And even to burst your bubble further. Even you newest Model S or X will have defects. But they will be very very minor and with any luck you will never see them. There might be slight swirls in the paint that will go away after the first detailing, there might be minor imperfections in sealents at places you never see and so on...

But do not worry, every Porsche, Ferrari, Bugatti etc. has those too.
I actually talked to someone at Lamborghini on day and he told me one out of 3 Avantadors was not handed over to the customer but to a detailing shop right out of the factory. That shop would then basically disassemble and detail every panel to perfection. Which is something they cannot do for the cost even that car as sometimes the costs for doing it are 30-35% of the cars price.
@Thomas Mikl Do not disagree I expect being some what of an early adopter there will issues, and yes all cars can have some issues regardless of price. S... happens. I plan on having my detailer come with me when ever I get deliver:p while he won’t likely be able to find any hidden mechanical issues body issues I could miss. Still looking forward to delivery.