Will keeping unlocked drain battery?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

harrison987

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My M3 has been at a wrap place over the weekend...then to tinting...then to brake caliper paint. It has sat in pretty hot conditions...100 degrees or so all day long...120 in the cabin.

On my app, I noticed that all day today the car was parked, but unlocked. Watching the battery in the last 2 hours, it went from 122 miles to 118 miles. So I went ahead an locked the car from the app.

If the car is unlocked, are various systems on? Seems kind of high to have 4 miles gone in only a couple of hours, no?

Mike

Last edited:

RIP_OPEC

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My M3 has been at a wrap place over the weekend...then to tinting...then to brake caliper paint. It has sat in pretty hot conditions...100 degrees or so all day long...120 in the cabin.

On my app, I noticed that all day today the car was parked, but unlocked. Watching the battery in the last 2 hours, it went from 122 miles to 118 miles. So I went ahead an locked the car from the app.

If the car is unlocked, are various systems on? Seems kind of high to have 4 miles gone in only a couple of hours, no?

Mike
It really shouldn't affect the drain whether it's unlocked or locked. The Cabin Overheat Protection can cause that type of drain. Keeping it enabled is important, because it helps prevent damage to the electronics. Of course, even if Cabin Overheat Protection is disabled, your car will attempt to maintain a 120 F or less target as you mentioned, to also prevent damage.

Last edited: