Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

WiFi connection to home network

9K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Maevra 
#1 ·
I live in an area with poor to no cellular service (depending on carrier) and rely on broadband internet to get anything done at home (WiFi / femtocell / wired). With my current Nissan Leafs that just means that I can't use the app / website to do anything with my cars or get notifications from them when they are at home. I know that Tesla cars can connect to a home WiFi network and was wondering what requirements they had for that network and how good the antenna on the car was. What frequency bands does the Model 3 support - just the 2.4 GHz, or the 5.2 GHz as well? Does the Model 3 support WPA-PSK and WPA-802.1X (PEAP-TLS and PEAP-MSCHAPv2) with AES encryption? Does it have any required data rates - does the AP have to advertise B rates, does it have to allow B rates? Does the Model 3 support IPv6, does it require IPv4 - does it support something like RFC6146 / RFC6147 or are all the servers it needs to connect to dual stack (all the major cell carriers are IPv6 with CGN IPv4 so I would assume Tesla is at least working on IPv6 support)? Finally, how good is the antenna - do I need to cover my carport / driveway to -80 dBm, -70 dBm, or just plan on better than -67 dBm? I am not opposed to putting an outdoor AP in my carport and creating a special SSID just for the Model 3, but if I could use my existing infrastructure, that would be nice. If anyone has any experience with connecting Tesla cars to WiFi networks I would be interested in hearing it.

#4 ·
For S and X, it's one of the things the car first bugs you about... rolling out of garage or spot the first morning after I get a new loaner, truck often suggests WiFi... I assume that Model 3 will have the same code.

#6 ·
I've connected my S to all sorts of wifi networks. Those from hotspots on my iPhone, Home wireless, Work wireless, those at hotels, friends, family. Some with passwords, some without. Never had a problem connecting to any of them. I never bothered looking into the capabilities but, generally, the wireless connection "just works".

Reactions: ölbrenner
#16 ·
After asking some people at the local Tesla store and waiting for them to get an answer back from CA, I do now have a couple of answers. First, the radio in the car is 2.4 GHz only, so no 5.2 GHz support (not a big deal, just annoying). Second, the only encryption / authentication mechanisms supported are: open, WPA-PSK, and WPA2-PSK. Third, they were not able to confirm if there were any required data rates (not unusual, most vendors have no idea which data rates their chipset firmware requires), but they did say that it supports 802.11 B/G or mixed B/G/N (so single spacial stream, no MIMO).

#17 ·
Still disabled? This is pretty frustrating as like the OP I live in a neighborhood with horrible cell service and the app has limited functionality and software updates are not working. I can’t check charge status while I’m at home and can only update software at work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.