Wifi Connected, but Won't Download Update

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else seen this? Car acknowledges there's an update available. Connected to strong Wifi (~20 Mbps using Speedtest on my phone from the driver's seat), but won't download. Tried the two thumb salute, with and without brake. No dice.
20190620_183648-jpg.27027

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Everything you say looks correct. What about hitting the wifi icon and just double checking or selecting another network and then back to your good network, or turn it off and back on. Just trying to think though a few things to try that might jiggle the connection.

I had this same notice yesterday leaving work, I connected to my hotspot on my phone and it even downloaded on the drive home. I'd just double check it is truly connected by tapping the icon.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Everything you say looks correct. What about hitting the wifi icon and just double checking or selecting another network and then back to your good network, or turn it off and back on. Just trying to think though a few things to try that might jiggle the connection.

I had this same notice yesterday leaving work, I connected to my hotspot on my phone and it even downloaded on the drive home. I'd just double check it is truly connected by tapping the icon.
I did try forgetting the Wifi, then reestablishing, then I tried using my phone as a hot spot, which worked for the previous update, but not this one. I'm going to try the power off button, but that always seemed dubious as to whether it actually did anything.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else seen this? Car acknowledges there's an update available. Connected to strong Wifi (~20 Mbps using Speedtest on my phone from the driver's seat), but won't download. Tried the two thumb salute, with and without brake. No dice. View attachment 27027
did you try running speedtest from the car's browser?

MachV

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same problem. this is how Tesla service fixed it.

First off the new maps download is like 5Gig, so it takes much longer than firmware updates. like 1-2hours. Your car looks like its trying to download it.

the maps download gets "stuck". Service had to "Hammer" it. meaning reset and start the download all over again.

So be patient overnight, or ask Tesla over the phone to check the status and for them to reset the download if needed

Ed Woodrick

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm looking at the top icon and I think that's the cellular icon, not Wi-Fi, hence the reason the car is telling you to connect to Wi-Fi.

Don't even think about comparing it to your phone. Too many differences.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm looking at the top icon and I think that's the cellular icon, not Wi-Fi, hence the reason the car is telling you to connect to Wi-Fi.

Don't even think about comparing it to your phone. Too many differences.
In my case, I have a mesh puck sitting about 5 feet from the car, and it's easy for me to verify that both the car and the phone are connected to that specific puck. Also, that puck is somewhat far from the other pucks. So in my network setup, the bottleneck between the car and the modem is the distance between pucks. That makes the phone test quite relevant, though it may not be in other network setups.

I hadn't considered running Speedtest from the in-car browser before MelindaV suggested it because the early browser was so useless that I just never tried the new one.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same problem. this is how Tesla service fixed it.

First off the new maps download is like 5Gig, so it takes much longer than firmware updates. like 1-2hours. Your car looks like its trying to download it.

the maps download gets "stuck". Service had to "Hammer" it. meaning reset and start the download all over again.

So be patient overnight, or ask Tesla over the phone to check the status and for them to reset the download if needed
This is interesting info. Based on what's on my screen pic above, does anyone have a newer map?

Tchris

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anyone else seen this? Car acknowledges there's an update available. Connected to strong Wifi (~20 Mbps using Speedtest on my phone from the driver's seat), but won't download. Tried the two thumb salute, with and without brake. No dice. View attachment 27027
I had the exact same situation. Tried every kind of restart, power down/up, restart my modem, etc. Tesla had to resend the download.