Why won't Tesla announce more details about the dual motor configuration?

theloneranger08

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla has to know by now how much the dual motor version of the Model 3 will cost and what kind of range/performance it will have. I don't understand why they can't tell reservation holders so they can make an informed decision when they get their invite to configure (I'm about to be in this boat). If the dual motor version isn't that much more ($5k or less), I may be inclined to wait but if it costs more, I'll probably go ahead and get the RWD.

theloneranger08

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Huh? I mean, its pretty crappy of them to not us if they know to be honest. I love Tesla but as much as Elon Musk champions communication within his own company, he doesn't like to tell the press and his customers hardly anything. Don't get me wrong, I'm super stoked for my model 3. Just wish they'd be more upfront about all the options coming .

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tesla has to know by now how much the dual motor version of the Model 3 will cost and what kind of range/performance it will have. I don't understand why they can't tell reservation holders so they can make an informed decision when they get their invite to configure (I'm about to be in this boat). If the dual motor version isn't that much more ($5k or less), I may be inclined to wait but if it costs more, I'll probably go ahead and get the RWD.
I'm in the same boat as you, and completely understand the desire to have all of the AWD pricing and specs in order to make an "informed decision". Unfortunately for us, Tesla -- as the company on the opposite side of the transaction -- has different priorities... by necessity.

Tesla's primary goal for Model 3 production was to ramp it up and create economies of scale as quickly as possible. That meant minimizing manufacturing complexity, so they went to production with a single, easy-to-make configuration (LR + RWD + PUP). This is the configuration that Tesla needs to sell -- and sell right now -- in order to generate cash flow so that they can continue to ramp production and introduce more complex variants of the Model 3. Conversely, if First Production doesn't sell well enough, then Tesla will have to look elsewhere for capital to fund the ramp-up, and the terms will not be anywhere near as favorable.

So, if Tesla needs to sell First Production now, they have no incentive to tempt us with what else may be coming down the pike. There's no reason for them to tell us right now that the AWD 3 will have 320 miles of EPA range, go 0-to-60 in 4.4 seconds, and come with air suspension for only $5K more, because not only would that cause more people to pass on First Production, it would also start eating into sales of the Model S 75D and 100D. (And the latter is actually why I think they will sandbag the AWD 3's specs in a major way -- perhaps even stating that it has the same 310 miles of range as the RWD 3 and a 0-to-60 of 4.8 or 4.9 seconds.) In other words, just as Elon and crew anti-sold the 3 against the S and X, they have also consistently anti-sold the AWD 3 against the RWD 3, because they need people to buy the RWD 3 now:

For you personally, it sounds sounds like you have the luxury of waiting a few months for AWD if necessary (e.g. no expiring leases, no danger of your current car kicking the bucket anytime soon). So my question to you would be: what do you have to lose by waiting to configure until AWD specs are available?

Given that AWD is slated to go to production by "Mid 2018" (3-4 months), it seems like we'll have our answers by then. When AWD specs and pricing are released, if you like what you see, you can wait for it, just like you would have done anyway. On the other hand, if you're not a fan, you can just place your order for First Production on the spot, and you'll get your car 3-6 weeks later.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Huh? I mean, its pretty crappy of them to not us if they know to be honest. I love Tesla but as much as Elon Musk champions communication within his own company, he doesn't like to tell the press and his customers hardly anything.
Musk and Tesla talk WAY TOO MUCH to the public. What if tomorrow, Tesla announces that the Model Y is going on sale immediately. So, no reservation deposits. No two-year wait for production. No two-year period of wondering what the specifications will be. They just keep it secret, and then suddenly it appears. Everybody would be happy and excited. You won't hear many complaints. Nobody will be saying "they should have told us what the price will be two years earlier like they did with the 3".

The problem is Tesla (and Musk in particular) give out too much information, way too early. No other car manufacturer does this. Tesla is going to learn the hard way to stop doing this.

Twiglett

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Not sure why we expect Tesla to release ANY information or get annoyed when they don’t.
Most manufacturers release ZERO information prior to release.
Going on past history even when they release information early, folk get annoyed when the early information changes. Tesla is in a no win situation.
So now they’re waiting until they know for sure. That’s business and how it works, no point getting annoyed at it.

Country
Country
I think the most significant answer to your question is the most business-driven one, and something that has defined Tesla's road map as a company: They need people like you and me to buy the cars they can reasonably afford to make NOW so they can fund the necessary steps forward into making the next version.

The Roadster funded the top-of-the-line Model S. Model S purchases funded the Model X. Everything Tesla to this point has given life to the Model 3.

Tesla has decided the black interior, 6-paint/2-wheel color variation of the Model 3 is the most cost efficient way to keep their business plan moving forward, and any piece of information they reveal about future iterations runs the risk of convincing people like you to hold onto your money until a later date. The faster they get our money, the faster the next step becomes reality.

They're not telling you specifically because of why you want to know.

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I think the most significant answer to your question is the most business-driven one, and something that has defined Tesla's road map as a company: They need people like you and me to buy the cars they can reasonably afford to make NOW so they can fund the necessary steps forward into making the next version.

The Roadster funded the top-of-the-line Model S. Model S purchases funded the Model X. Everything Tesla to this point has given life to the Model 3.

Tesla has decided the black interior, 6-paint/2-wheel color variation of the Model 3 is the most cost efficient way to keep their business plan moving forward, and any piece of information they reveal about future iterations runs the risk of convincing people like you to hold onto your money until a later date. The faster they get our money, the faster the next step becomes reality.

They're not telling you specifically because of why you want to know.
With half a million reservations and Tesla selling every car they make for the foreseeable future, it seems like it might be advantageous for some people to wait for the even more expensive version than the one they are selling now. Even if half the reservation holders opt to wait for dual motors Tesla will still sell every RWD Model 3 they can make.

JBsC6

Country
Country
Tesla announced that the awd will retail for less than 5 thousand dollars in the model 3.

I'm waiting for awd on the reservation list since April fools day 2016 and I'm planning $4999.

North east requires awd for wives or husbands will hear about each little slip when driving in the rain or snow.

Not that awd is better than four snow tires but who wants to suggest that as your better half says you bought rear wheel drive and you don't care about her or your children..

Under five was announced by Elon so take that to the bank...

Imo

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Under five was announced by Elon so take that to the bank...
Actually, take that with a HUGE grain of salt. He made that announcement long before other option pricing was revealed. I believe that Tesla updated their option pricing strategy between those two dates, and decided that the large demand would allow them to get away with options priced comparably to S options.

I wouldn't be surprised if AWD is something like $7000, but it gets packaged together with air suspension. Since it's a package, you can't say that Elon lied about the price of AWD alone.

JBsC6

Country
Country
Actually, take that with a HUGE grain of salt. He made that announcement long before other option pricing was revealed. I believe that Tesla updated their option pricing strategy between those two dates, and decided that the large demand would allow them to get away with options priced comparably to S options.

I wouldn't be surprised if AWD is something like $7000, but it gets packaged together with air suspension. Since it's a package, you can't say that Elon lied about the price of AWD alone.
Most of the vehicles charge 2500 dollars for awd versus front wheel or rear wheel drive.

Musk stated that the awd system for the model three would be less than 5000 dollars.

I ll take the man and the company at their word until told otherwise.

It's pretty simple in my mind that if awd costs more than $5000 as you suggest is possible then just cancel the reservation.

I like the little model 3 but it's not that important. No car is.

Like I said in the previous post in this thread. We were informed the AWD system in the model 3 will cost under five thousand dollars and with that I'm satisfied. The model S rear wheel drive was $2500 less expensive than the awd until all model S vehicles went awd. That's what consumers in areas like the northeast for the most part want....

I understand at the present time the manufacturer is only building and selling the rear wheel drive model so information on the awd cost and performance is being held close to the vest.

With 500,000 reservations for the model 3 I also understand the desire to deliver less complicated variations so early on and to limit future variation information to motivate as many people as possible to take the model they are building for sale right now.

That's simple business

I hope this helps allay as much anxiety as possible.

Figure less than 5 grand for awd until informed otherwise and when they announce the product for sale as you would like it optioned enjoy the anticipation.

At least that's what many of us are doing..

Like I said earlier if they price awd higher than 5 grand then the company said they wouldn't do and you don't want to pay the price they list just cancel the reservation And buy something else...

That's what most everyone will do as the market decides actual transaction pricing over time.

Last edited:

JBsC6

Country
Country
Tesla used to charge 2500 for awd I believe and then decided to end all rear wheel drive model S vehicles. The desire to move remaining inventory and attract consumers to a value proposition who were waiting for the model 3 motivated them to offer the last of the rear wheel drive vehicles for a base price of 69 grand...minus the $7500 government tax break came in very close to a similiar but smaller model three that loaded was selling for 59 grand..

The awd was $2500 ..which I remember thinking that at the release would be the cost of awd for the model three when it released.

Tesla and musk answered consumers question of what the model 3 awd would cost and it was announced that awd would cost less than 5 thousand dollars.

This isn't rocket science..if tesla decides to reneg on their previous announcement of awd costing less than 5 grand consumers can then decide if they want the vehicle or not.

Pretty simple at a worst case scenario.

They announced the cost at less than 5 grand so with a sense of humor I posted a cost of $4999...

Have a sense of humor and relax...

I'm thinking awd at 5000, 19 inch wheels for 1500, $1000 for delivery and $1000 for paint.

Then subtract either $7500 or $3750 whichever is available and the value proposition exists at either 36 grand or 39500 net cost.

For us in NJ there is no sales tax so it's a decent deal for a pretty little family four door sedan.

If the price of awd seems inappropriate at the time to send in the extra 2500 nonrefundable deposit then I'll just ask for the $1000 refundable reservation back and find something else.

Remember there is a massive wave of new electric vehicles coming and with that pricing pressure will grow for tesla so I'm not worried and neither should you.

Have a nice day

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

JBsC6

Country
Country
AWD was in 2016 for the model S was a 2500 dollar option ..I thought it was the model S wi 70 or 75 kw battery as far as I remember and the reason I remember was because tesla stated the awd model three would cost less than five grand more than the model 3 rearwheel drive..

I remember because by original calculations of options on the model S red to awd was only 2500 dollars and many model 3 reservationists were surprised tesla announced the price would be less than five grand for the option...

I remember because it was double what the various model S models charged for the awd option...which was $2500 dollars.

Take it for what it's worth..who cares...

He said tesla said less than five grand for the awd option in the model 3.

If it costs more than five grand I won't buy the awd option and I won't buy the model 3.

My wife wants awd and I just want her to be happy...(which in and of itself is an oxymoron...(joking)

All kidding aside I value the model 3 220 mile vehicle with 19 inch rims and the awd at the price I listed above.

If it goes hire and other companies offer a better looking, better balanced offering of good looks , performance and price I'll order somebody else's product.

You can too.

Don't worry..it ll be ok..

I'm eyeballing the new rear mid engine 500 hp dct c8 corvette to show i at next January's Detroit autoshow...

If that doesn't look like what I expect or its pricing balance is off...I won't order that for myself either...

We ve got so many choices ..the competition is getting fiercer so tonight raise your glass and smile!

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Given Tesla's track record when it comes to saying one thing and another thing actually panning out, put me down for not surprised if AWD is more than $5k.

Either way I guess the big ? is how much more will the "Performance" option be?

JBsC6

Country
Country
What other company charges more than five grand for awd versus rear wheel drive in the BMW 3 series market segment?

Tesla always talks about BMW 3 series as a competitor..

Check out this link below and you can see the price differential between rear wheel drive 3 series versus awd of the same model..

https://www.bmwusa.com/byo.html#!/

It's 2 grand difference for awd versu rear wheel drive...

Do you think tesla will be show the door by BMW in value moving from rear wheel drive to awd?

Under five for awd as stated by tesla previously when asked the question should not be surprising...

2 grand for awd from BMW ..

Even 5 grand is about as high as it will go...

When I originally saw under five I thought that was as high as I'd go too...

The value proposition on tesla isn't as high as even vendors such BMW...who is the king of ripping customers new a holes.

Still I'll buy at 5 grand and dump the order at anything higher r awd just out of principa and I'm pretty easy going.

I'm confident awd will be under five

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What other company charges more than five grand for awd versus rear wheel drive in the BMW 3 series market segment?

Yes, but BMW isn't adding a second motor to go from RWD to AWD. You're getting higher performance, better economy, plus AWD, which is worth more (and costs more) than what BMW is offering.

Although, it would be humorous to see how they cram a second gasoline engine into a BMW.

Runt8

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country

Check out this link below and you can see the price differential between rear wheel drive 3 series versus awd of the same model..

https://www.bmwusa.com/byo.html#!/

Do you think tesla will be show the door by BMW in value moving from rear wheel drive to awd?

Under five for awd as stated by tesla previously when asked the question should not be surprising...

2 grand for awd from BMW ..

Even 5 grand is about as high as it will go...

When I originally saw under five I thought that was as high as I'd go too...

The value proposition on tesla isn't as high as even vendors such BMW...who is the king of ripping customers new a holes.

Still I'll buy at 5 grand and dump the order at anything higher r awd just out of principa and I'm pretty easy going.

I'm confident awd will be under five
I agree with your conclusion, but you also have to consider that no other company has to add a second motor when going to AWD either.