Why did I get free Supercharging on my Model 3?

I recently took my Model 3 on a road trip from LA to Yosemite. I made two stops to supercharge, the first at Fresno and the second at Fish Camp. I was charged for the second charge but not the first. Is this a fluke? Or is everyones first supercharge with a Model 3 free?

justflie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Oh, then I guess you’re a lucky one! That’s weird. Could it be posssibkle the car is somehow coded as an S or X for supercharging purposes? Very odd.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I recently took my Model 3 on a road trip from LA to Yosemite. I made two stops to supercharge, the first at Fresno and the second at Fish Camp. I was charged for the second charge but not the first. Is this a fluke? Or is everyones first supercharge with a Model 3 free?

It's a fluke. Sometimes Tesla superchargers don't bill the Model 3's for the for some reason. Congrats you just got free juice! :)

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On my long trip to Houston, there were a couple of Superchargers that didn't charge. One was in the back of a Holiday Inn Express, seemed fairly new, not much else around, and another one hosted by a restaurant someplace between Dallas and Houston. It was weird but I just figure they haven't gotten everything worked out yet. I probably got maybe $12 of free juice on that trip :) I don't expect that to last however.

c2c

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We might be confusing Destination Charging with supercharging. I believe tesla encourages establishments to provide free juice to attract a certain element. But i think that is optional. and i doubt tesla is acting as billing agent for destination chargers.

My first thought was that the free charge was compensation for being in Fresno.

Joking.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We might be confusing Destination Charging with supercharging. I believe tesla encourages establishments to provide free juice to attract a certain element. But i think that is optional. and i doubt tesla is acting as billing agent for destination chargers.

My first thought was that the free charge was compensation for being in Fresno.

Joking.
The receipt OP posted above is only generated for supercharging so this was indeed a free supercharging incident. Destination charging does not generate any sort of billing/receipt estimate, nor does plugging in at any other third-party charger. Only supercharging has the billing UI.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My theory is that Tesla has some Supercharger locations that don't communicate full details back to the mothership for whatever reason. It would make sense as to why they kept extending free supercharging on S/X and why some don't charge for the 3. Just a guess.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Just took my first road trip from San Jose to LA, stopping at Harris Ranch, Kettleman City, and Santa Clarita. Was charged for all 3 sessions.

azentropy

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve used a supercharger twice now. The first time two weeks ago just to see how’d it work, and then a couple days ago As I wanted to see how’d fast it charge when I was down to around 100 miles. Both times I was “charged”, but I haven’t been billed yet.

How long after using it does it typically show up on credit card statement?