Who's stuck waiting for Performance?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As my signature says:

Ordered a Performance Model 3 :cool:
Reserved in-store 2016-03-31 (early line-waiter!)
Ordered 2018-05-20 (I may have been THE FIRST person to place a Performance order!)
Added FSD 2018-06-11 (did this lose my place in line?)

I'm seeing Performance Model 3s being delivered every day.
I have a colleague at work who's picking up a Performance Model 3 this Monday!

Why am I not getting any love? :(

Are only previous Tesla owners getting Performance cars?

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As my signature says:

Ordered 2018-05-20 (I may have been THE FIRST person to place a Performance order!)

I've been waiting for you to get your car, since I figure I'm a ways back behind you. Was excited for a while when your spreadsheet showed a VIN - until we realized you just timed out. Back to waiting...

Deep Blue Metallic
Performance
18 Aero
White Interior
Estimated delivery Aug - Oct
Chicago delivery, trade in, cash. Edit button still there. No changes made since ordering.

Not Tesla owner
Reserved April 1, 2016 at 10:44Z online
No invitation to order until June 27, 2018, discovered from this forum
Ordered June 27, 2018 at 6:45pm Central
Email order invite arrived June 28 early a.m.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
As my signature says:

You need to pay more attention to the shorts. There are no longer any waiting times because demand has dried up and Tesla can't move the cars it's making.

;)

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
As my signature says:
Two words: black interior.

Check out this TMC post. Nate977p was first in line at the Dedham store here in Boston. (More specifically, he was this guy in a tent.) He is not a Tesla owner, and ordered deep blue metallic + black interior + AWD on May 20th, and later changed it to Performance (with upgrade package) on June 26th when the price dropped, but kept the black interior. So, going into Performance production, he had the same reservation date, order date, configuration, and ownership status (to the extent that even matters) as you do.

Two days ago, on August 8th, he visited a Tesla store and had a rep change his order to white interior. What happened next? Today, his Edit Design link disappeared, and his account page finally allowed him to enter his trade-in details.

I have no doubt that if you switched to the white interior, you'd get the same love. Unless, of course, you happened to switch at the exact moment that Tesla decided to start building P3D + upgrades + black interior... :)

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I figure @Bokonon is on it - just a little more cash for those white seats and you'll be cookin'. But why spend more and I just can't understand white seats? I know they are a thing, just not my thing.

Mad Hungarian

Resident TOO Wheel/Tire Guru
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Two words: black interior.

Check out this TMC post. Nate977p was first in line at the Dedham store here in Boston. (More specifically, he was this guy in a tent.) He is not a Tesla owner, and ordered deep blue metallic + black interior + AWD on May 20th, and later changed it to Performance (with upgrade package) on June 26th when the price dropped, but kept the black interior. So, going into Performance production, he had the same reservation date, order date, configuration, and ownership status (to the extent that even matters) as you do.

Two days ago, on August 8th, he visited a Tesla store and had a rep change his order to white interior. What happened next? Today, his Edit Design link disappeared, and his account page finally allowed him to enter his trade-in details.

I have no doubt that if you switched to the white interior, you'd get the same love. Unless, of course, you happened to switch at the exact moment that Tesla decided to start building P3D + upgrades + black interior... :)
Dammit man I think you're right, I can find no other pattern to it.
I'm in @garsh 's boat... I can't take it anymore. I don't so much mind the waiting, it's the having-absolutely-no-idea part that's making me insane. If they could at least tell me it'll be like the first week of October I'd be thrilled. Wouldn't even care if thousands got theirs before me, I'd be cheering them on.
But this sensory deprivation thing is no fun.

Must. Not. Push. White. Button.
(the GF will KILL me, she knows full well I cannot be trusted with anything that shows dirt. And she would be correct)

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I ordered performance with black interior and no PUP on 7/12/18. No reservation, no prior owner. Delivery scheduled for 8/18 in Houston.
Nice!

Just to clarify my earlier post for others: black interior in and of itself isn't the holdup, it's black interior + performance upgrades that is not currently in production. Black interior + no performance upgrades *is* being produced and delivered.

artsci

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
If we’re looking for logic in Tesla’s performance delivery patterns I don’t think there is any. Maybe it’s just random:)

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm in @garsh 's boat... I can't take it anymore. I don't so much mind the waiting, it's the having-absolutely-no-idea part that's making me insane. If they could at least tell me it'll be like the first week of October I'd be thrilled. Wouldn't even care if thousands got theirs before me, I'd be cheering them on.
But this sensory deprivation thing is no fun.
Bingo -- couldn't have said it better myself!

I completely empathize with this state of mind, because it's a spot-on description of where I was mentally until about a week ago, when Tesla finally started assigning VINs en masse to AWD orders with 19" sport wheels. Prior to that point, I knew *intellectually* that they would inevitably switch from mostly-aeros to mostly-19s at some point, and that they had followed a similar pattern with First Production deliveries to Canada. But not having any semblance of a clue as to when that switch would occur was eating me alive!

The best part is, somewhere at the Fremont factory, someone has haphazardly scrawled something like "7/30 - AWD + 19s on GA3" or "8/13 - Blk + PU on GA4" on an unassuming whiteboard, but neither we nor any of the poor souls working the 888-51-TESLA line will ever see it. :)

I do wonder, though, given that it's been a month and a half since Performance went to production, whether someone with sufficient Twitter clout with Tesla and/or Elon could ask the question directly, since it seems like there is a growing chorus of loyal line-standers paying top-dollar for a black-interior P3D who are hungry for an update...

Mayhem

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
Owner. Deets in sig.... Nada. @Bokonon is all over it. I WOULDN'T change to white interior tho. My luck is they go to black interior only deliveries for the next 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Country
Country
P3D+ white interior here and still no movement for me. Day one reservation and paid my $2500 back on 4/28, was in the push to July RWD crew. Then switched to P3D on 6/27 for the fun of it and hoping it would mean I would get my car quicker than an AWD. Played my cards wrong, but hopefully will be worth the megawait

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Owner. Deets in sig.... Nada. @Bokonon is all over it. I WOULDN'T change to white interior tho. My luck is they go to black interior only deliveries for the next 8 weeks.
Ok, this sort of information makes me feel better. Knowing that even a previous owner isn't getting a car yet due to the PUP + black interior does make it seem like they aren't yet on that production run.

Thanks everybody! I think I may be back to my old, patient self again. :)

I just took a test drive of a RWD Model 3 earlier this evening. It was very nice. Quicker than any car I've ever owned too! While I was there, I saw this beauty (with white interior, of course) waiting to be delivered. It's the first Performance car I've seen in person.

psohl14

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Yeah right now it seems like the following two configurations just aren't getting made yet:
  • P3D with white interior
  • P3D+ with black interior
So if you got the performance option package with black seats or you got got white seats without the package, you're just out of luck for the time being.

For what it's worth I'm also waiting. P3D+, red, white, EAP. Ordered 6/27, but I assume the primary reason I'm waiting is because I was a February 2018 reservation. I had an April 2016 reservation that I initially cancelled to buy a house. Now I'm wishing I hadn't

Teslar

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Stuck Waiting :(
reserved apr 2, config 6/27
blue p3d aero. w black int.