Who wants a semi?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That semi truck looks pretty sweet. I almost wish I were a trucker. And it has a frunk too! Oh my goodness. I can't even! It's scary. And that range of 500 miles is way more than I thought possible.

Don't get me started on the 620 mile range for the next Roadster…
Don’t wish for that because soon enough the mirrorless beast is going to drive itself and replace truckers completely.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don’t wish for that because soon enough the mirrorless beast is going to drive itself and replace truckers completely.
In the short term, the truck will only be able to handle highway driving. You'll still need a driver in the cab to handle the first- and last-mile driving.

Once autonomy is good enough to handle local driving & parking, then you'll *still* need a person inside the truck for many deliveries. If you're delivering the entire load to a single entity, then maybe not. But often, a truck is making several stops. A person will still be needed to handle offloading the cargo for each customer, getting signatures, etc. It probably won't pay as well as driving, but there will still be jobs available.

I also have a feeling that it's going to take Tesla a lot longer than they think to reach full autonomy. I think there's going to be a period of several years (~5 years will be my guess) between "full autonomous on highways only" and "full autonomous everywhere". I will be quite happy with "full autonomous on highways only" for my personal vehicle.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some very interesting facts from a story in Wired:
What Does Tesla's Automated Truck Mean for Truckers?

In fact, there aren't enough truck drivers to go around. The American Trucking Associations reports the annual driver turnover for large truckload carriers reached a whopping 90 percent this year, and it projects 50,000-driver shortage by the end of 2017.

This makes it sound like we generally don't have to worry about this technology putting truckers out of a job. It will mostly just convince those who *might* choose that profession to look for employment elsewhere. Existing truckers probably won't have a problem finding a job during the transition.

Gizmo

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Driverless will not happen in ANY of OUR lifetimes, there is a whole load more a truck driver does than just drive the truck.

The semi is also a long way off being useable for anything but short-haul day work, lack of sleeping area, storage etc.
It also appears that the camera is obscured when the air deflector swings out??

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great concept... but that is all it is at the moment, now they need to make it useable as a truck.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Driverless will not happen in ANY of OUR lifetimes, there is a whole load more a truck driver does than just drive the truck.

The semi is also a long way off being useable for anything but short-haul day work, lack of sleeping area, storage etc.
It also appears that the camera is obscured when the air deflector swings out??

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great concept... but that is all it is at the moment, now they need to make it useable as a truck.
While I don’t believe it will happen “soon”, I can’t see it not happening in our lifetime.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Nice catch reported by Teslarati's Simon Alvarez of a T≡SLA Semi playing zoom zoom on
zoom zoom, notably on a 25 mph limited street... o_O

If you're afraid you'll be sitting too low in Model 3, and want the far & wide view while screeching those tires at the traffic light, the Semi might be your answer... :D

Silver Tesla Semi spotted doing a tire-shredding acceleration run in the wild

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

Gunn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice pictures, I never realized until now that the doors were suicide orientated :confused:

Great pics :cool: