Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
I replaced my front two puddle lights tonight with the "T" lights from AO. I love them, super easy to replace, but thanks to those that shared about holding on to that cable so it doesn't disappear up in to the door. I had a little intuition and went for one of the simplest house hold objects to help out. I clipped a clothes pin on it before I disconnected it so if I turned loose it wouldn't disappear on me. It worked well, but the drivers side door cable is short. Barely an inch or two to work with. The passenger door I had probably 3 inches of wire harness I could gently pull out.

The lights couldn't be easier to pop in and out though.

View attachment 20222
Nicely done!

I replaced my front two puddle lights tonight with the "T" lights from AO. I love them, super easy to replace, but thanks to those that shared about holding on to that cable so it doesn't disappear up in to the door. I had a little intuition and went for one of the simplest house hold objects to help out. I clipped a clothes pin on it before I disconnected it so if I turned loose it wouldn't disappear on me. It worked well, but the drivers side door cable is short. Barely an inch or two to work with. The passenger door I had probably 3 inches of wire harness I could gently pull out.

The lights couldn't be easier to pop in and out though.
I bought two different brands from Amazon and neither fits worth a darn. Neither one will snap all the way in.

Reactions: Eric714
I bought two different brands from Amazon and neither fits worth a darn. Neither one will snap all the way in.
I used AO lights for the front floor and trunk and installed them 2 weeks back, they are a tight fit just like the ones that came out, nice and bright and perfect for what I wanted.

The two puddle lights are also from AO and were a perfect fit. Give them a try. AO is now a sponsor here on the forum and a small company, growing and bringing some nice products for our cars.

Just installed Abstract Ocean puddle lights, Tesla T logo up front and bright white in rear doors. Also the bright white in the trunk. The door lights were easy to install, the trunk was trickier (they've changed the interior trim since the AO video was made) but ultimately great. Some before and after pics:

Attachments

Just installed Abstract Ocean puddle lights, Tesla T logo up front and bright white in rear doors. Also the bright white in the trunk. The door lights were easy to install, the trunk was trickier (they've changed the interior trim since the AO video was made) but ultimately great. Some before and after pics:
Very nice - I've got the same in my front doors and trunk. Another very nice touch is blue in the front foot wells. Very easy to change out as well. You may lose a little bigness, but adds a nice color. I really like the AO lights and great customer service.

Very nice - I've got the same in my front doors and trunk. Another very nice touch is blue in the front foot wells. Very easy to change out as well. You may lose a little bigness, but adds a nice color. I really like the AO lights and great customer service.
Yes! I have the blue footwells also but ran out of time today, hopefully I'll get them in tomorrow!

Reactions: GDN
Yep. I went with red in the footwells and ginned up some red covers for the ambient lights in the doors using photographic gel sheets and double-sided tape. (Door lights aren't replaceable.)

Yep. I went with red in the footwells and ginned up some red covers for the ambient lights in the doors using photographic gel sheets and double-sided tape. (Door lights aren't replaceable.)
Sounds nice - you have any pics that show the colors and lights?

Reactions: Charlie W
Here's my upgrades.

Abstract ocean puddle lights, I like them, but I am bummed they dim when the rear door is opened.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Steering part Hood

Then I thought, dang my trunk is dim... So I bought some cheap ebay lights $9 each. They had 12 LEDs. The lights are very bright, but the optics were not great, terrible really, and I could not get the tabs to pop into the plastic brackets in the trunk. So I swapped the optics for the stock ones though which worked great!

Automotive lighting Gas Rectangle Automotive exterior Space

Car White Hood Light Blue

Then I wanted something fun, I wanted colored lights for under the dash / footwells, but it looked like the AO light's just used colored covers, and the RPM tesla lights were too expensive for me. So I made my own. Remove the stock lights, open them up and desolder the resistor and LED. Replaced with 3 LED's from a strip of red 5054 LEDs. 5054's are about 2x as bright as 5050 leds, and are MUCH brighter than stock, but red, so not too overpowering to the human eye (you don't want these too bright like the trunk lights.). Note I soldered the Strip not the crooked LEDs on the strip, My OCD would not allow that! Doesn't matter for our purposed here though.
Water Gas Electronic device Wood Electrical supply

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

I'm thinking to upgrade the frunk with the ebay lights, and maybe do something for the glovebox. Red maybe? I think the ebay lights will be too bright for this. Maybe I'll get some white LED strip lights and that will be a good balance?

Sounds nice - you have any pics that show the colors and lights?
Yep. Not the greatest shots. Showing passenger footwell and all three lights at once on the passenger side. [Please don't judge the dirt; it's been a mess up here in Seattle for the last week...] The film creates a slightly more pinkish red than the footwell lights but it's barely noticeable.

Attachments

Hi everyone, I was trying to figure out the best puddle light thread to post this on, but a PSA for anyone who ordered Abstract Ocean LEDs for their footwell lights prior to the discovery that the footwell lights needed some additional engineering. I recently went back to the AO page and found that they now sell separate, specific footwell LEDs. I had purchased the "Model 3 Pack" earlier last year but could not install the footwell LEDs (at the time, AO let everyone know they were looking into solutions due to issues that had been discovered) and I have been now working with AO to do a return/exchange for the new footwell lights. Their customer service (as usual) has been fantastic and I wanted to let everyone else know in case you are in a similar situation to me. Just reach out to them via their support form on the website and they will get you set up. Thanks Abstract Ocean @AO - Christal, @AO - Pete

I have a cautionary tale for puddle lights. I bought a set off Amazon. Easy enough to install, right? I popped out the factory light on my driver's side and installed the aftermarket light. After I was done, I went to close my door and "Bang". I thought the light caught the bottom of the door. I wish that was the case. Nope, the window didn't go back down. Now I have a dent in the chrome window trim. Then I went to pull out the aftermarket puddle light and it broke off and pulled it and the wire back up into my door. I had to pull my panel off to pull the light and that POS light back out. Upon further inspection one of the two pins didn't line up and bent to the side. $300 in damage for a $15 aftermarket part.

Attachments

the connecting wires no have the difference, just remove the original lights and connect with the new door lights.
It makes a difference if they aren't long enough and you have to remove the door panel to do it.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.