Who has higher performance wheels on their Model3?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I noticed the 18" Aero wheels are very light for an OEM base offering. I'm currently running mine without the Aero covers but will put them on for any multi-day trips. While I haven't spent any time shopping for lighter wheels I noticed most common offerings are actually heavier than the base wheels. I imagine the 18" wheels are produced with a spun cast or pressure cast process. Any roll forging performed after the casting process? Anyone know? Also, who makes the wheels. Maybe I missed some obvious markings on the wheel as I admit I haven't looked too closely.

Who has replaced their 18" wheels with lighter wheels (preferably not only lighter but also with less rotational inertia)? I know rotational inertia is difficult to measure or calculate but we can guess that a 19" or 20" wheel that is only 1 oz. lighter than an 18" wheel has more rotational inertia, even once the tire is mounted.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I'm going to interpret the lack of people chiming in to say they bought lighter wheels to mean the 18" OEM wheels are some of the lightest available for this fitment. There must be some lighter forged wheels for big $$ but apparently, not many have them.

hamtonp

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
How much do the 18" aero oem wheels weigh each?
21.6lbs or 23lbs with the hubcaps

I haven't seen that many lightweight wheels for thus car. It is s concern about going too light and sacrifice strength. The car is pretty heavy.

bobbymo

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
21.6lbs or 23lbs with the hubcaps
That is pretty light for an 18" wheel, but makes sense from the geometry. I'm not sure about our offset and centerbore, but Neuspeed makes rotory forged wheels (RSe12) that are 19lbs or so. I have them on my GTI and like them a lot.

rlb4

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Forgestar are about 19 lbs. each. Also the wheels that the Mad Hungarian sells are about 19 lbs ea.

Whos’ TM3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Found VMR Wheels in Anahiem CA who has a lot of wheels for BMWs and Audi's, but they do have a Flow Form Series which is lighter than the normal cast wheels. I picked a set of V801 19" 8.5 & 9.5 staggered fitment. I weighed the 8.5" to be about 23lb and the 9.5" to be 23.8lb. Not too bad for 19" rims. Each set is machined to your required specs for your car, so no need for center rings.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Found VMR Wheels in Anahiem CA who has a lot of wheels for BMWs and Audi's, but they do have a Flow Form Series which is lighter than the normal cast wheels. I picked a set of V801 19" 8.5 & 9.5 staggered fitment. I weighed the 8.5" to be about 23lb and the 9.5" to be 23.8lb. Not too bad for 19" rims. Each set is machined to your required specs for your car, so no need for center rings.
What kind of price did you see on the 19" 8.5" ?